List Mgmt. 2014: The List

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I think you're right. Any ideas on the others? Wasn't really sure on my rankings... bit of a stab in the dark.

It's a little hard to judge without having seen more senior appearances from Holman, Graham and Cripps and new boy Whiley .. I'd have Bell and Gibbs ahead of Carrots as well. I reckon if you slipped Carrots in below Gibbs, you've got it pretty accurate ... I'm guessing a couple of the younger blokes would have Carrots covered as well, but difficult to judge with such little senior exposure.

The interesting thing in this highlights package is Crippa's poor decision when he elected to go long to Casbah instead of looking inside and hitting up Everitt or Graham. Just from this highlight you can tell that he is not a genuine line breaker with excellent vision. What he does is win clearances and all that inside stuff which is what we recruited him for. He however makes the right decisions and has awesome awareness in and around the packs, stoppages etc...

Delisted Free Agency window opened yesterday. No word as yet on Carlton's move to sign anyone.

Perhaps we're just not that into Dick or any other DFA.
Brisbane haven't signed Robinson yet either but we all know he's going there. My bet is we just can't be bothered doing the paperwork on the weekend

Is it true Graham racks it up consistently in the VFL? Surely not too long till that transfers to AFL level... He does some classy things but doesn't get enough of the ball yet.
He does look a bit less confident in the AFL. Reckon when he becomes a regular he'll start racking up 20+ touches consistently. For a young player I feel pretty safe when it's in his hands. Don't remember him turning it over at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it true Graham racks it up consistently in the VFL? Surely not too long till that transfers to AFL level... He does some classy things but doesn't get enough of the ball yet.
Hard to earn a kick when the coach makes you sub most of the time.

Mclean and Lucas departing is all about clearing the decks so that the young fellows can get game time.

I may be wrong but what I've seen of Graham is that he's got some elite footy nous. Like seriously smart footballer. Would this be accurate? Can he become Mitchell?

Love that goal he kicked on the run last year from in the pocket after running hard to get the handball receive.. was a beauty. I think he can take his game up a few levels definitely.

Really hard to gauge where we will finish next year. In my opinion, we cant really afford to linger around mid table much longer.

Our top talents (Murphy, Gibbs, Thomas, Kreuzer etc) haven't got a huge amount of time to burn. Before we know it they'll be hitting their late 20s.

We desperately need a top 6 finish to attract some gun recruits and use that salary cap space.

Unfortunately I dont see us finishing anywhere above 8th though. List just isnt sfrong enough.

Really hard to gauge where we will finish next year. In my opinion, we cant really afford to linger around mid table much longer.

Our top talents (Murphy, Gibbs, Thomas, Kreuzer etc) haven't got a huge amount of time to burn. Before we know it they'll be hitting their late 20s.

We desperately need a top 6 finish to attract some gun recruits and use that salary cap space.

Unfortunately I dont see us finishing anywhere above 8th though. List just isnt sfrong enough.

No point rushing towards a flag though if the list is too weak though.

Phase out the weaker players, draft and develop well.

Premiership sides tend to have plenty of older players still playing elite football as well.

How would our midfield rank from fastest to least?

1. Murphy
2. Thomas
3. Judd
4. Carrazzo
5. Curnow
6. Bell
7. Gibbs
8. Holman
9. Whiley
10. Cripps
11. Graham

What a slow ******* midfield.

Wow that is slow.

When did rogers say speed is king? He hasn't taken a speedster yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No point rushing towards a flag though if the list is too weak though.

Phase out the weaker players, draft and develop well.

Premiership sides tend to have plenty of older players still playing elite football as well.
Spot on BM.
Hawthorn had 6 players over 30 in their gf team.

On the u18's state champs foxtel coverage Rogers said speed is king and he has said that we needy speedy players on numerous ocassions on podcasts and radio etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

Around about 12 wins for me if we approach it with that same effort we had at the end of the year.

5 off season surgeries compared with 22 from last year. For my money the only place we are lacking on our list is speed. If we lose any speedy players we only really have Armfield in terms of depth. After that we are in trouble. We could use another year of experience for our KPP but I think we are a 6th-9th proposition. My ladder would be as follows -

Hawks
Port
Swans
Freo
NM
Tigers
Blues
Gold Coast
--
West Coast
Cats
Adelaide
Collingwood
Brisbane
Essendon (depending on how the ASADA investigation finishes they could end up as low as last)
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
GWS
St Kilda

Hawks and Port going nowhere. Swans are just leaking a little bit with Franklin/Tippett taking up too much salary cap and have lost Malceski which cant be understated. I think this will be the year that the Cats snap and slide down the ladder. Freo are really holding on until Pav/Sandi/McPharlin retire and will start to slide. NM have remained pretty solid but I dont think they can push higher that 5th. Tigers had a ridiculously easy schedule this year and only just made the 8. They have held firm but I dont expect them to show too much more improvement. Gold Coast I just snuck in there in front of West Coast because of Malceski plus the kids are a year older and had a little bit of time without Ablett to learn. I think having a new coach will disrupt them a bit otherwise they could have pushed a little higher.

West Coast have lost Glass and Cox (that's serious leadership lost). Priddis is almost 30 (yes he won a brownlow but much the same how Judd won a brownlow with us in that nobody pinched votes from him) and they have a very potent forward line however I think they will struggle to win it in the midfield. Cats as I said will slide this year with their premiership players now on the wrong side of 30 and best years behind them. They won a lot of games by under 2 goals due to experience but they wont be able to sustain that now. Adelaide seem unstable and will need to learn their new coaches style before growing. Collingwood have lost too much experience and are now in a rebuild as they wait for their talent to gain experience. The rest of them are in rebuilds or dealing with ASADA and will take time and wont challenge.

Last edited:
5 off season surgeries compared with 22 from last year. For my money the only place we are lacking on our list is speed. If we lose any speedy players we only really have Armfield in terms of depth. After that we are in trouble. We could use another year of experience for our KPP but I think we are a 6th-9th proposition. My ladder would be as follows -

Hawks
Port
Swans
Freo
NM
Tigers
Blues
Gold Coast
--
West Coast
Cats
Adelaide
Collingwood
Brisbane
Essendon (depending on how the ASADA investigation finishes they could end up as low as last)
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
GWS
St Kilda

Hawks and Port going nowhere. Swans are just leaking a little bit with Franklin/Tippett taking up too much salary cap and have lost Malceski which cant be understated. I think this will be the year that the Cats snap and slide down the ladder. Freo are really holding on until Pav/Sandi/McPharlin retire and will start to slide. NM have remained pretty solid but I dont think they can push higher that 5th. Tigers had a ridiculously easy schedule this year and only just made the 8. They have held firm but I dont expect them to show too much more improvement. Gold Coast I just snuck in there in front of West Coast because of Malceski plus the kids are a year older and had a little bit of time without Ablett to learn. I think having a new coach will disrupt them a bit otherwise they could have pushed a little higher.

West Coast have lost Glass and Cox. Priddis is almost 30 (yes he won a brownlow but much the same how Judd won a brownlow with us in that nobody pinched votes from him) and they have a very potent forward line however I think they will struggle to win it in the midfield. Cats as I said will slide this year with their premiership players now on the wrong side of 30 and best years behind them. They won a lot of games by under 2 goals due to experience but they wont be able to sustain that now. Adelaide seem unstable and will need to learn their new coaches style before growing. Collingwood have lost too much experience and are now in a rebuild as they wait for their talent to gain experience. The rest of them are in rebuilds or dealing with ASADA and will take time and wont challenge.
Nice work, good read. Thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back