List Mgmt. 2014: The List

Remove this Banner Ad

FootyFan - You talk about these players like they are simply names on a piece of paper and give the impression that our recruiters and footy staff should be able to somehow produce a pick 25 for Garlett in a trade. What exactly are you expecting??

My point is not about individual trades on their own. It is the overall management of our list over a long time. Been very ordinary to say the least. We just seem to have not identified the true worth our our resources on list at many points. It is not about a single trade or even one or two free agency attempts. It is the whole thing together as overall list management showing we seem to not known how to maintain a strong list when we had it or build one after we stuffed up . By maintain a strong list , I meant keep it relatively strong by having a plan knowing at some stage champion careers end so you got to plan when and how to get new resources in. Not easy but have some bloody plan of some type would be nice. Champions are precious. They do not come cheap. You got to get future ones even when older ones have to end up at some stage. Hoping picks 15 to 80 will unearth them just does not cut it as a plan.

These other names you have thrown up - Dixon, Patton, et al., how were the club supposed to get them??
I was simply making a point of where I considered our list was in terms of player resources when I mentioned those names. Basically meaning us pinning hopes on guys like Jones and Watson being the types you build a premiership list out of, was head in sand stuff for mine. Dixon and Patton were just example of similar positioning types that if we had them rather than those two we actually would have some serious talent to get genuinely excited about. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Jones etc. are completely and utterly useless. I'm just pointing out they are fringe players and help a team out. Not make a team. They are not players you build a forward line around that likely to have big success.

Why are you comparing what recruiters did 3 years ago with what the new recruiters, coach and footy department are doing now?

I'm not. It is others doing that. Not me. It is some of you guys having a go at me out of context with overall point that misunderstood my overall contention that we have sucked as a club with list management for some time. Due to me making comments on some other recent happenings related to list for some reason a few people mis-read into it I was simply sinking boot into someone which I never did to any recruiter. Amazing how that seem to be tone of some responses in insular manner. Never anywhere have I said any particular individual recruiter that on staff now is a complete and utter fool. Somehow a few posters have seemed to misconstrue that as being what I said. It is those guys comparing. Not me. I don't even know them.
I'm sure all of recruiters working for us now are good people but the facts remain for mine I see nothing to see that excites me all of a sudden we truly got a handle of list management since salary cap, drafting and free agency systems are in place. I just see a similar trend in last year and a bit that seem to gone on from time to time in a period we have sucked in results. How that gets seen as comparing is beyond me. I've never seen us be good at it at any time in modern era of caps and drafts and I'm still hoping it changes for massive paradigm shift and actually GET SOME OVERALL PLAN.
Still things going on that don't impress me that we really got it about managing a list. The most recent to show me there is no real overall plan is Betts, Waite, Robinson and Garlett going for basically zilch is a loss of resources to our list in playing ability. I'm not talking about micro-management of list and each player and trade transaction and each draft. I'm talking about the whole list and seeing it as playing resources and getting a sense of worth. A sign of an overall plan to me would be getting something of real worth when players of ability go from list. A plan finds a way when a group of players go that worth something in playing ability gets you something back of similar worth whether that be younger players that shown something or draft picks likely to get similar talent in future. It is why I used the extreme example of the late 90's having so many players retire and therefore allowing the list to degrade in terms of resources very quickly. There was no plan in place at all of being in a new era of list management how to have players come and go yet still find some way of maintaining a list that would be strong continually. That is and was my point. I've not in past or present got a sense in what we have and doing as a club, have any real plan of that type.

It is abundantly clear to me and has for sometime that it is not easy task and a challenge. But I would like to see some sense of plan that club had or has but in looking at the overall look of what goes on I don't see any big paradigm shift to make me think, geez, we've finally woken and got a plan that has learnt from mistakes in past.
I think the most obvious thing any club should get in any plan of list management is that the only clear cut way to get the bulk of your stars going forward is to find some way to manage to get hold of very early draft picks regardless of where you are on ladder at any point in time.. By early picks I don't just mean first rounders that some posters seem to get fixated on. Every club gets first round picks but not every club can get the ones very early. I mean picks basically 1 to 4 where you are far more likely to find the serious game changers that premiership teams have that are champions. Getting lots of picks in between 10 and 20 is not the same as getting your hands on the less than handful of true guns that come up from every batch of new draftees. The second tier players also play there role in a good team but the reality remains to develop and maintain premiership level like lists you got to find some way of getting very early picks every few years and we just don't seem to have shown at any stage that plan is part of club thinking. That does not mean all of our thinking is stuffed but it shows to me, we just not really got an overall plan in place for list management that makes me sit up and take notice.

Don't for one minute read that as me thinking I have all the answers because I don't. I just see the club has seemed to have even less idea which has troubled me for some time how bad we seem at it. That does not mean I think every trade, list decision and draft choice is wrong because that I never said also. People that have tried to make out that I am specifically having a go at any particular recruiter have missed the overall point. Anyway, I decided one big last post on this topic so some misconstrued ideas and comments not wasted my time answering on several posts. There were some silly responses that were not even close to being in touch with what I meant and just completely on attack mode rather than thinking mode so did not even bother with.

Only responded to this post as the tone of your post was not attacking and therefore worth a reply. You misunderstood my overall point but least I could see you made a genuine attempt to want to understand rather than get defensive and insular. Other responses from long term posters that was the vibe I was sensing and less than impressed with hearing that from Carlton supporters I expect more from.

Last edited:
Just concerns me Harks that we have now picked up 3 players who have largely done squat at senior level under the premise of topping up a certain age bracket. Sure they are still young and untried but topping up with an age bracket for the sake of it in my opinion just leaves us with more list cloggers for future years.
It's one way of looking at it, TL15, but the other way is that we have been able to select or trade for guys that we know a lot more about that those in the draft, who have also had a bit of time to develop physically and already understand the system. Part of our job has already been done for us. Add to this, they are all young and therefore fixing the age problem we have by delisting or trading out our older guys who were never going to be a part of the next premiership.

I can't imagine any of these young blokes being on long contracts, so we aren't hamstrung there. It really is the common sense move to trade for young 'possibles' with a year or two in the system than to use picks #99 and #133 or something on a 17 year old.

Thanks lads and all good points. Rest assured TL15 will be in the crowd screaming his lungs out for these blokes next year even though he won't know who the * they are until about round 16!! :)

Thanks lads and all good points. Rest assured TL15 will be in the crowd screaming his lungs out for these blokes next year even though he won't know who the **** they are until about round 16!! :)
Should be pretty easy to learn the only ranga :p

Some might argue Jones and Tutt are 'cloggers'. All 5 players fill a need. Jaksch is the only star in the making but the world hasn't seen enough of Whiley and Dick to make an assessment.

Jaksch - insurance for Giles, jury still out on Watson. Can play forward if Henderson is unavailable.
Tutt - Should push Ellard out, have lost Betts and Garlett
Jones - Immediate replacement for Waite
Dick - Defensive pace, Armfield replacement
Whiley - Both Carrazzo and Judd are over 30

Some might argue Jones and Tutt are 'cloggers'. All 5 players fill a need. Jaksch is the only star in the making but the world hasn't seen enough of Whiley and Dick to make an assessment.

Jaksch - insurance for Giles, jury still out on Watson. Can play forward if Henderson is unavailable.

Jaksch is more than insurance

I don't share the upside view of Jones being in same level of Waite best. I reckon handy at best and third tall. My main hope is he just accurate kick at goal. Him or Watson have to make something of themelves. I think Jones for pick 45 ish is about his value so did not mind that trade on it's own.

However, Tutt I seen enough of for Dogs in past to think genuinely something there that could be a bit of a gem for only a pre-season draft pick.

I would not be even mentioning Whiley in same sentence as Judd :)
However he could become an extractor as good as someone like Carrazzo.

So far Jaksch is the one that I have high hopes in.

Tutt I like his style and Whiley could be a Carrazzo, Primus or Sam Mitchell type that just develops and develops over time. The video footage of his work in close is impressive. He will need to work to get anywhere near those levels though.

So what you are saying is Tutt is better than Ellard. The real question is though can he be as good as Betts or Garlett on one of his rare brilliant days.

He cannot be as good as Betts but maybe just maybe his best could be produced more often than Garlett. Garlett best asset was his road runner pace and generally he was accurate kick for goal when on song. Tutt won't be as quick but think he has more attributes to his game all over. Surprised Dogs letting him out of the grasp. I also see enough in Tutt to think it is possible he could spend time further up ground. Betts a genuine stay at home forward only but very elite level. His tackling pressure and goal kicking ability and mark on lead is not easy to find. You cannot expect Tutt to match all that but maybe his tank is bigger and can take stints in midfield. Not sure, not seen enough of that yet but I hope he could develop more than just being a goal kicker. I do know he can snags you goals. I'm expecting Tutt to be in forward line next year. I know he still has to be drafted but believe essentially done deal.

He cannot be as good as Betts but maybe just maybe his best could be produced more often than Garlett. Garlett best asset was his road runner pace and generally he was accurate kick for goal when on song. Tutt won't be as quick but think he has more attributes to his game all over. Surprised Dogs letting him out of the grasp. I also see enough in Tutt to think it is possible he could spend time further up ground. Betts a genuine stay at home forward only but very elite level. His tackling pressure and goal kicking ability and mark on lead is not easy to find. You cannot expect Tutt to match all that but maybe his tank is bigger and can take stints in midfield. Not sure, not seen enough of that yet but I hope he could develop more than just being a goal kicker. I do know he can snags you goals. I'm expecting Tutt to be in forward line next year. I know he still has to be drafted but believe essentially done deal.

While I agree with the basic premise that Betts is better than Tutt could be, I think it's irrelevant.

Betts could only play as a small forward. Tutt on the other hand will play a variety of positions, which will make him more valuable tactically.

I much rather have 30/40+ goals as an average to 4 or more forwards than a couple who get too much supply, and only kick maybe 40/50 each for a season. I saw Tutt debut, and he put on one hell of a display.

Time will tell, but at least its a like for like replacement. You can't have too much legspeed in the modern game either.

So what you are saying is Tutt is better than Ellard. The real question is though can he be as good as Betts or Garlett on one of his rare brilliant days.

Eddie and Jeff were rare talents, so no.

But Tutt costs us nothing and if he can average a goal a game while providing forward pressure, we've found a contributor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I much rather have 30/40+ goals as an average to 4 or more forwards than a couple who get too much supply, and only kick maybe 40/50 each for a season. I saw Tutt debut, and he put on one hell of a display.

Yep, totally agree.
Having multiple players able to kick goals and especially the midfielders and rucks regularly getting a few goals is way superior set up as a team than relying on someone to kick 70 plus and one or two others the other main guys. Ultimately the best method is to have midfielders that regularly go for the goals when in striking distance and back themselves to hit the scoreboard with a goal more often than not. Pleasingly Gibbs was showing the way this season just gone as one example. We need Murphy, Thomas, Yarran, Judd, Walker and Kruezer to really help out kicking goals because we cannot be expecting Hendo and Menzel to be getting 4 or 5 goals regularly. Especially with Waite gone, it will be a lot harder for Hendo to kick a bag as he will get lot more attention going his way. Bell pitching in with 3 or 4 every now and again is what I want to see more. Tutt with a regular 2 or 3 is not out of question. He is capable of 40 to 50 goals in a season from what I seen. He knows where the goals are. Look forward to games where you get 8 to 12 goal kickers. Those games are the best as a fan.

Tutt had his moment, with 4 goals on debut. Not the flashy brilliance of either but could be capable of offering multiple goals and maybe has the pace to run into open space and open goals if the game plan calls for it.

I don't think it's a matter of being better than Betts or Garlett. It's more the need to execute a game plan and keep team balance. For all of Eddie's brilliance and Garlett's opportunism, they didn't get us very far.

Tutt won't be as good as Eddie. Bet your bottom dollar.

But hopefully he'll be serviceable, while costing us 300k+ less than what betts would have cost us to stay.

So now the question is, what's better; betts or Tutt plus half the salary for someone like treloar....?

Just concerns me Harks that we have now picked up 3 players who have largely done squat at senior level under the premise of topping up a certain age bracket. Sure they are still young and untried but topping up with an age bracket for the sake of it in my opinion just leaves us with more list cloggers for future years.

I choose to look at it like this.
We got Jaksch and Whiley for a steal. 3 players for 1 in that deal.
Jones, Tutt, and Dick for effectively pick 46 only. So that's 5 players in for pick 46 and a slight drop in our first round pick. That's a win in my book.
These players have not set the world on fire for various reasons (lack of opportunity, still raw, etc) but they all have upside and all will fill roles for us. If we had given up a lot more to get then, then I would be angry but we have done well IMO. The list profile looks much better in terms of age now.

Last edited:
We're priming Jaksch to be a KPD. No arguments with that.
Whiley to be another big-bodied mid. We haven't that many.
Jones to be the decoy or third tall behind Henderson and Casboult. Makes sense.
Tutt to the quicker and better small forward than Ellard may be for us.
Dick to provide outside run that we're lacking before this years draft, as we don't really know what may come our way.

All considered we haven't given up very much at all for players that fit into a plan.
Every player has a clear purpose in the scheme of things and should better alternatives present in years to come, then that's just fine also.

The other thing in all that is that all these guys fit into the age profiles required whilst we're still taking up another 7 kids and developing the two Irishmen.
Bit dangerous having 20 players under 20 years of age. Not fair on the kids as they do need some guidance and protection.

imo, we have all bases cover, so allows us to draft best talent available instead of reaching for a needing type...

Agree to all your points except i think you have undersold Jaksch there, i think he is better than just an insurance for Giles :D

I choose to look at it like this.
We got Jaksch and Whiley for a steal. 3 players for 1 in that deal.
Jones, Tutt, and Dick for effectively pick 46 only. So that's 5 players in for pick 46 and a slight drop in our first round pick. That's a win in my book.
These players have not set the world on fire for various reasons (lack of opportunity, still raw, etc) but they all have upside and all will fill roles for us. If we had given up a lot. Ore to then I would be angry but we have done well IMO. The list profile looks much better in terms of age now.

It already looks better doesn't it?
That's not to say that every player is an A-Grader by any means, but clear objectives are being met and we can only build from there.

Tutt & Dick haven't been given 4 year contracts and if they're doing their job whilst the newcomers develop, then all good.
If though they become quality performers, then even better.

The list already has some balance about it and with good recruiting, a quality FA and some clever trading next year, things can turn very quickly.

one of my mates played for GWS last year, and reckons that mark whiley is an absolute steal, just doesnt have the reputation having been a NSW zone selection player. He thinks hes a walk up start at carlton
there were a couple clubs after him so he has obviously shown something to warrant such interest. Miles MAch 2? yes please

one of my mates played for GWS last year, and reckons that mark whiley is an absolute steal, just doesnt have the reputation having been a NSW zone selection player. He thinks hes a walk up start at carlton

I reckon part of the reason he wasn't getting as many games was because GWS were trying to get games in to their high draft picks (to either increase their value or to make them happier to stay)

Thats just my theory though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back