List Mgmt. 2014 Trade and Free Agency Targets Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have suggested that we send Tarrant down back if he gets fit in lieu of getting a proper defender, indicating that yes he could be a saviour against many of the monster forwards that have smashed us this year. You really think a bloke that's 26, who is always injured, that's played 39 senior games mostly as a forward is an option to go down back and play on the likes of Hawkins and Cloke, players that have monstered our All-Australian FB this year?

What I do think is, he will be retained on the list next year.

We have Waite coming in which gives us Petrie, Brown, Black, Wood and Waite as tall forwards.

Personally, I think he'll be lucky to play again but if he does I'd like him trialled in a position that could benefit the team.

What would you do with Tarrant next year if he sees out the last year of his contract?

What I do think is, he will be retained on the list next year.

We have Waite coming in which gives us Petrie, Brown, Black, Wood and Waite as tall forwards.

Personally, I think he'll be lucky to play again but if he does I'd like him trialled in a position that could benefit the team.

What would you do with Tarrant next year if he sees out the last year of his contract?
No I definitely think he should be retained next year, unless of course he decides to hang up the boots. If, when his contract ends he still hasnt got on the park I think the club will have to seriously think about delisting him, but for next year he should be fine.
I think most people would agree that over the next two years we should definitely be aiming at finishing in the Top 4 at the end of the H&A season. I think the chances of that happening will be significantly less if Tarrant is playing at FB. If he's going to be trialed at FB it should be inn the VFL where it will take him 12-18 months to not only get used to playing there but to start playing well enough in that position to be selected in the senior side. So for that reason I definitely don't think that playing Tarrant at FB is a realistic alternative.

I reckon our key back stocks are fine. Thompson and Grima looked bad last night because we turned the ball over and didn't pressure. Tippett has looked up to it and will press for selection next year. Maybe draft a young kid to be ready when Grima hangs them up, but it's the least of our worries.

No I definitely think he should be retained next year, unless of course he decides to hang up the boots. If, when his contract ends he still hasnt got on the park I think the club will have to seriously think about delisting him, but for next year he should be fine.
I think most people would agree that over the next two years we should definitely be aiming at finishing in the Top 4 at the end of the H&A season. I think the chances of that happening will be significantly less if Tarrant is playing at FB. If he's going to be trialed at FB it should be inn the VFL where it will take him 12-18 months to not only get used to playing there but to start playing well enough in that position to be selected in the senior side. So for that reason I definitely don't think that playing Tarrant at FB is a realistic alternative.

Fair enough.

Just think he's dropped a long way back in the pecking order for a forward spot.

Keep in mind he played a hell of a lot of his junior footy down back, it's not like trying to teach Majak how to play a position.

One thing Tarrant has is a good footy brain.

I reckon our key back stocks are fine. Thompson and Grima looked bad last night because we turned the ball over and didn't pressure. Tippett has looked up to it and will press for selection next year. Maybe draft a young kid to be ready when Grima hangs them up, but it's the least of our worries.

Look at our last 3 games Daniher, Hawkins and Tippett all kicked bags.

We need a solution for next year.

I'd say more realistic then suggestions we trade Basti, Greenwood and our 1st rounder for Danger, it aint gunna happen guys.

This just tells me how important Hansen is to out back six, and that without him we can not expect Firritto, Thompson and Grima to get the job done. Has anyone heard what Firritto is thinking yet?

The loss of Lachie in this finals series was huge, he's become such a crucial player for us.

Our window is the next couple of years. We need to be drafting, trading, using free agency accordingly. Its all or nothing now for NMFC.

Blokes like Higgins, Blease etc wont cut the mustard. We need a trade/signing that makes us instantly better with a couple of free agents that tie up loose ends we have.

Trade- Sloane? Jet. Defensively fantastic, great over head. Beams? Damaging up forward, good mix of inside/outside. Danger? Probably dont have enough arsenal(Something about squeaky wheel and oil for all of them) Tom Mitchell maybe?
Free agents- Merrett(is he a FA?) & Waite

Trade Bastinac, Tazza, Adams, Harper and MacKenzie. All surplus to needs except maybe Harper but cant get healthy or near it. People wanting Tazza down back lol The bloke cant even get on the paddock. If the Dogs offer a bag of onions and 3 coconuts for him, we take it at this point.

Wells to play HBF. Him and Atley to run and carry with damaging disposal.

Delaney and Garner to get their bodies right. FFS. Both could be huge for us.

Natural improvement should see us get better, and id be inclined to forget our 1st/2nd round picks and get developed players we need now via trades.

My 0.02

I really get that 1 overachieving year has many looking this way. But im of a slightly different view.

I really dont see our window is open now, nor do i think it will be 2015 :(

Where we are now is getting the finals experience into those who will truly open a premiership window. The Ziebulls, Cunningtons, Turners, Browns, Blacks. When they are the top tier and our youth now is the mid tier thats when we have a real shot.

I dont think Petrie, Grima or Boomer will see our real crack at it. Nor do i think a Waite would be there.

Gutting the lower mid tier or youth kills that cycle. Basti, Harper, McKensie they are the window openers not todays trash.

So for mine a JOR, Janksh, Higgins, Frost hell even Robinson age demographic is where our sights should be set this year.

Concerns me greatly the all eggs in one basket mentality is setting in on the back of 1 prelim, now more and more suggesting throw the baby out with the bathwater desperation in the false hope of claiming some fantasy early glory luck.

Patience people, we are on the right path, and we gained a hell of a lot from a few finals this year. We now know we belong from 2 wins. We also learnt how far we have to go and where the bar is set thanks to the Sydney game. The last 3 weeks will progress those who matter a long long way, have faith :)

I really get that 1 overachieving year has many looking this way. But im of a slightly different view.

Where we are now is getting the finals experience into those who will truly open a premiership window. The Ziebulls, Cunningtons, Turners, Browns, Blacks. When they are the top tier and our youth now is the mid tier thats when we have a real shot.

I dont think Petrie, Grima or Boomer will see our real crack at it. Nor do i think a Waite would be there.

Gutting the lower mid tier or youth kills that cycle. Basti, Harper, McKensie they are the window openers not todays trash.

So for mine a JOR, Janksh, Higgins, Frost hell even Robinson age demographic is where our sights should be set this year.

Concerns me greatly the all eggs in one basket mentality is setting in on the back of 1 prelim, now more and more suggesting throw the baby out with the bathwater desperation in the false hope of claiming some fantasy early glory luck.

Patience people, we are on the right path, and we gained a hell of a lot from a few finals this year. We now know we belong from 2 wins. We also learnt how far we have to go and where the bar is set thanks to the Sydney game. The last 3 weeks will progress those who matter a long long way, have faith :)
Still devastated by last night effort. It had demolished my faith. How many more years do we have to wait to become an elite team?:cry:

Last edited:

I think both views can be right but I would tend to build for your expectation first, no reason why we can not surprise ourselves and do a 08 or 93 but yes what you say is far more likely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just confused how we find the money for Frawley and Dangerfield, are there vast stores of oil under Arden St that I haven't been told about?

We've made a prelim in a fiscal situation where we were forced to buy NDS in order to pay the minimum cap. When you think about the $$$ some of the other teams have and struggling with pushing theirs, it's a hell of a feat. We've got this far on picking bargains and growing our own, we gotta be a bit more realistic here.

Good post.

Its not so much an 'all eggs in one basket' mentality, more of a legitimate go at a premiership in '15 but especially '16 when we should see moderate declines in teams such as Sydney, Hawthorn, Geelong, Fremantle etc Why have we over achieved? We beat every team in the top 10 i believe. Our best football is very, very good and i expect to get much better over the next couple of seasons with natural progression and refinement of our game plan.

I see the teams that are up and coming contenders as Port, NM, GC, Adelaide and to a lesser extent West Coast and Collingwood. GWS will start to dominate around '17/'18/'19 imo.

Our core group of players will be nearing 150 games by finals 2016. That is nearing prime games played and prime age for a footballer. Trading for an A grade similar aged player isnt throwing the baby out with the bath water, and signing a couple of veterans to help utilise other players isnt either. Merrett releases Scooter to intercept and rebound and Waite could win us a few games off his own boot with no compensation except for $.

I dont think we should abandon the draft, but i wouldnt mind if we traded a couple of picks in the next draft, and players, to see if we can 'pinch' a flag.

Once you get a sniff....

Malceski is another id have a crack at if available. Id rather him than Waite.

Robinson is an interesting one. I've heard he isn't getting heaps of bites.
This makes his an interesting prospect - getting a guy with his talent who knows he is at his last chance saloon makes him the kind if player we need: desperate and a hard competitor. Ironing out his dickhead behaviour goes hand in hand with this. He is on The straight and narrow and must be a consummate professional for it to work

Robinson is an interesting one. I've heard he isn't getting heaps of bites.
This makes his an interesting prospect - getting a guy with his talent who knows he is at his last chance saloon makes him the kind if player we need: desperate and a hard competitor. Ironing out his dickhead behaviour goes hand in hand with this. He is on The straight and narrow and must be a consummate professional for it to work

Do not want Robinson absolute scrub. Waite I'd be happy with, Malceski I'd be extremely happy with.

We need higher quality.
Trade bastinac, black and first round for pick 3 ( they will get 4 as pp) from melbourne. Melbourne will delist 10-15 player will be looking for numbers

Demont get the chance to cover bastinac
Can't have black, wood in the side with brown and black.
Tony shaw said on 3aw yesterday and I agree; north can't win a flag when grima and spud are our key backs

We need higher quality.
Trade bastinac, black and first round for pick 3 ( they will get 4 as pp) from melbourne. Melbourne will delist 10-15 player will be looking for numbers

Demont get the chance to cover bastinac
Can't have black, wood in the side with brown and black.
Tony shaw said on 3aw yesterday and I agree; north can't win a flag when grima and spud are our key backs
Wow you just quoted and agreed with Tony Shaw!!! Surely that deserves some kind of ban. Tony, and now you, are neglecting to mention that we also have Scott Thompson (last seasons AA FB) and a guy called Hansen who can play a bit. Would we like a monster fb to play on the monster FF's? Yeah that would be great. However we have Tippet and Delaney as young developing defenders as well.
Tony has NFI!

So you think grima and spud are premiership quality key defenders. One out of puff after 5 mins and the other can't handle the high ball on his head

So you think grima and spud are premiership quality key defenders. One out of puff after 5 mins and the other can't handle the high ball on his head

Spot on, sorry to say but grima is cooked he can get away with certain things during home and away games but as we saw finals is a difference ball game, unfortunately both struggled grima more so then spud. Need Tipett and Delaney to have a big pre season and hopefully bring in another kpd.

Our window is the next couple of years. We need to be drafting, trading, using free agency accordingly. Its all or nothing now for NMFC.

Blokes like Higgins, Blease etc wont cut the mustard. We need a trade/signing that makes us instantly better with a couple of free agents that tie up loose ends we have.

Trade- Sloane? Jet. Defensively fantastic, great over head. Beams? Damaging up forward, good mix of inside/outside. Danger? Probably dont have enough arsenal(Something about squeaky wheel and oil for all of them) Tom Mitchell maybe?
Free agents- Merrett(is he a FA?) & Waite

Trade Bastinac, Tazza, Adams, Harper and MacKenzie. All surplus to needs except maybe Harper but cant get healthy or near it. People wanting Tazza down back lol The bloke cant even get on the paddock. If the Dogs offer a bag of onions and 3 coconuts for him, we take it at this point.

Wells to play HBF. Him and Atley to run and carry with damaging disposal.

Delaney and Garner to get their bodies right. FFS. Both could be huge for us.

Natural improvement should see us get better, and id be inclined to forget our 1st/2nd round picks and get developed players we need now via trades.

My 0.02
Your post makes sense mate. No use bringing in mediocre players because they will just keep us well... Mediocre.

In the next couple of years the expansion teams will be coming hard, port will be a powerhouse, Sydney will still be getting an extra gazillion dollars to be good, even the bulldogs and west coast will be on the rise - our time is now.

Geelong is on the slide, hawthorns last crack at it, freo will lose their all Australians to retirement so we must look at the best available FA/players looking for a new home and go extremely hard to get them NOW

I disagree.

Grima only plays 15 games a year, Hansen not much better.

Thompson will be 29, Grima 30 and Firrito 32. Tippett's only played a few games.

We should have drafted one years ago.

I disagree.

Grima only plays 15 games a year, Hansen not much better.

Thompson will be 29, Grima 30 and Firrito 32. Tippett's only played a few games.

We should have drafted one years ago.
We drafted 2. Cam Delaney and Curran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back