List Mgmt. 2014 Trade and Free Agency Targets Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. The age of free agency is truly arriving. We will see more and more players testing the market and salary caps sky rocketing because of this. Ive been an avid follower of Atlanta in the NFL for nearly 10 years, watch the draft, take note of who is going where etc. Good FA's are always over paid and only few take home team discounts anymore. Great FA players are given monster contracts if let go.

Wont be long before we know every players salary, the breakdown of costs per year etc etc etc

Why them mate?

We should go very hard for danger but if he left which i don't think he will i would have thought he would go to geelong wouldnt he?

Does anyone know what kind of salary cap space we have atm?

We are a side that just can't do it with our development at the current time. We've shown how far we can go, and while its an amazing accomplishment, *ers like Sydney and Hawthorn make it harder to compete. Must steal a dangerfield like player without damaging our group of developing mids

We should go very hard for danger but if he left which i don't think he will i would have thought he would go to geelong wouldnt he?

Does anyone know what kind of salary cap space we have atm?

We struggle to pay the cap minimum, which means we're unlikely to bring in a player on that money

reckon we could fit him in, even if it means long backloaded contract where he gets pay rises when boomer and petrie retire etc that type of thing. That said you'd think from a pure financial perspective hawthorn would be leading the chase with space created by buddy's departure. From a players perspective surely be more rewarding to help build a new era with sustained success with a core group a similar age? ie/ the roos. I suspect any trade would hinge more on what adelaide get in return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

reckon we could fit him in, even if it means long backloaded contract where he gets pay rises when boomer and petrie retire etc that type of thing. That said you'd think from a pure financial perspective hawthorn would be leading the chase with space created by buddy's departure. From a players perspective surely be more rewarding to help build a new era with sustained success with a core group a similar age? ie/ the roos. I suspect any trade would hinge more on what adelaide get in return.

If Danger picked our club we would make room.

Won't happen but we can all dream.

Do we really struggle to pay cap minimum? Finals appearances will surely assist $$ wise and increased membership would be anticipated next year?

Yup. The only way we were able to pay for NDS, a tackling coach and the appointment of Tudor was via club fundraising and donations from benefactors.

As long as there is debt (nearly there, shut up and buy a membership etc etc) football department spend is a secondary priority. And to be honest, we've made a prelim on a thrifty policy. Don't think the club throw it down the drain for a shiny toy.

I know it might be hard, but bloody hell I would love us to be the club that wins a flag from building from within. I know we brought in Dal, but our team that played in the prelim was 20 players that are one club players (dal & Jacobs 2 club players). Sydney had 6.

In saying that get Jake...

Yup. The only way we were able to pay for NDS, a tackling coach and the appointment of Tudor was via club fundraising and donations from benefactors.

As long as there is debt (nearly there, shut up and buy a membership etc etc) football department spend is a secondary priority. And to be honest, we've made a prelim on a thrifty policy. Don't think the club throw it down the drain for a shiny toy.
I don't agree with the last paragraph GBS. They are twin objectives and, if anything, football department spending has taken a certain precedence over debt reduction (i.e. we're not Melbourne). Increases in revenue haven't been met with a commensurate reduction in debt because we've invested in the football department. Initially this was also ahead of spending in membership/fan development which has got a kick along with the (tied) 'disequal' funding allocation in the past couple of years.

I would like to know how many top 10 draft picks we have on our list compared to other teams. Anyone know ?

Four (Cunnington, Ziebell, Hansen, Wells) and one F/S in McDonald. No idea how that stacks up to other clubs but would assume a lot of the more successful clubs would be similar.

I don't agree with the last paragraph GBS. They are twin objectives and, if anything, football department spending has taken a certain precedence over debt reduction (i.e. we're not Melbourne). Increases in revenue haven't been met with a commensurate reduction in debt because we've invested in the football department. Initially this was also ahead of spending in membership/fan development which has got a kick along with the (tied) 'disequal' funding allocation in the past couple of years.
Yep, we have done both.

In 2010 we spent $14.5mil on the football department, last year we spent $17mil. This year I reckon we will be close to $18mil.

In the same period our revenue has gone from $25mil (2010) - $32mil (2013) and our debt has gone from $7mil to $2mil.

Last edited:
Yep, we have done both.

In 2010 we spent $14.5mil on the football department, last year we spent $17mil. This year I reckon we will be close to $18mil.

In the same period our revenue has gone from $25mil (2010) - $32mil (2013) and our debt has gone from $7mil to $2mil.
Thanks BT. I love it when facts support my memory...
women-facts-memory-remember-bad_memory-chats-sat0354_low.jpg

Yep, we have done both.

In the same period our revenue has gone from $25mil (2010) - $32mil (2013).

More than happy to concede that, but they are linked and remaining debt does have an ability to limit the allocation on football department spending. Not to mention increases in the last TV rights deal + inflation.

The overall point I'm making is it doesn't make any sense to splash money on a Dangerfield type purchase (who would cost obscene money we don't have), which is an upgrade and is not filling a key hole *giggity* like a structural KPP post.

People here build us up to get top of the line players and then blame the club when it doesn't happen. Yes we need to aim high, but we also need to concede and understand exterior circumstances that stop us from making a purchase like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back