List Mgmt. 2014 trade/draft/FA/delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something I posted over on Bay 13. I think it keeps our first choice players

Oh, while we're thinking about it, have a look at this for disgusting.

GWS start with our own #10 pick from a mid table finish, and the #19 from the compo pick we activated.

We trade Jaksch+O'Rourke+10 to Doggies for #2.

We trade Tomlinson+Hoskin-Elliot+19 to St Kilda for #3.

We trade Greene + Buntine to Melbourne for #1.

We're arguably losing every individual trade. And still end up dominating another draft.
Hmmm... not going to comment on your predicted ladder because that's not really the point, but I think you are being far too generous with your trade scenarios. You guys really do hold a monopoly on young key position players and may not realise how desperate other teams would be to get there hands on Tomlinson or Jaksch. I would be stoked to trade our first pick for Jaksch & O'Rourke (or preferably WHE as a former jets kid) without any sweeteners. Or everything we have for Patton or Boyd ;)

Hmmm... not going to comment on your predicted ladder because that's not really the point, but I think you are being far too generous with your trade scenarios. You guys really do hold a monopoly on young key position players and may not realise how desperate other teams would be to get there hands on Tomlinson or Jaksch. I would be stoked to trade our first pick for Jaksch & O'Rourke (or preferably WHE as a former jets kid) without any sweeteners. Or everything we have for Patton or Boyd ;)

The second question on that is what you'd offer as personal terms.

That's what the boys at Geelong did (until the GC offered Ablett a motza) the likes of Jimmy Bartel and Corey Enright have never been paid what they're worth.

I have more faith in our players, it seems, than IanW.

Have not read the whole thread but its an interesting conundrum. Im not saying what is right or wrong , the list build has been far different at GWS than what Geelong did. The earliest pick we had was 7 and not that many of them. So we didn't have the outside pressure your club might feel. Im sure that Vic clubs will be pressuring those kids that do not get games so like it or not you may have to trade some of them.
Could you do what IanW has flagged? Seems very stockyard to me. If you go too hard at treating players like assets then I feel it sets it up for them to treat the club that way.

Again comparing it to Geelong , we had guys who we have lost and in real terms got little for them. When under used...(In most cases) , we just tried to treat the players with respect and find them a homes they were happy with. Of course , some felt it was too hard , or there was too much competition for spot Cattery and wanted to move on. Rarely did we get a great deal but few have burnt us.In fact we have developed good players from the ordinary picks. So in general we took the approach , If they are good enough they will push there way in. Again Im not sure you can be exactly like us in this. You have so many early picks , one would assume the guys that can't get games probably are good enough.

From a Vic clubs POV , we just hope we can get one or two. Would liked Adams but thats the way it goes. As I said , interesting.

Geelong only lost Ablett because of expansion. If the GC or (us for that matter) hadn't entered the competition, he would have stayed at Geelong and been paid unders like his mates. No way Ablett leaves Geelong for any other team except a start up offering millions. Even if an Essendon or a Collingwood offer the same dollars as GC (which they couldn't given their own cap pressures) he doesn't leave. He stays at Geelong with his mates on less dollars than he could get elsewhere.

I think you underestimate the vast majority of players. Sure there are mercenaries but they are way in the minority. Give our kids some credit. They've already proved (most of them) they want to stay. That's how we can laugh at all those Mass Exodus/your club is doomed threads.

I think this is close to right. Before GA broke out he signed a 5 year contract , so for the last 2 or 3 at Geelong he was well under paid for the performance he was delievering. Geelong offered about double what his contract was , (850ish) but that was only half way to GC. If he had stayed for the 850 , it would have come at a cost. 1 or 2 of the other names might have had to move on.

If a player is getting games and your club is a happy place and you a competitive winning chance , most will stay. The ones in that 25+ are the ones that will not be happy.

Just reading up on some of the draft prospects and clem smith/jarrod Pickett look like the best smalls in the draft. If we end up with pick 2/3/4/5 I would love us to take 1 if them. An explosive small forward is a clear deficiency in our squad as we have smith, Wilson as our only recognised small forwards.

Overstocked in every position bar small forward. Wouldn't mind another inside mid. I'm happy to go with the minimum live draft picks. I like the basketballer Mckenzie as well but we have more then enough talls. Wouldn't be against taking a mature player in the draft either. Find the best state league FB eg Tippett as a 3rd round pick. Take smith/Pickett with 1st selection and trade the other picks for a KPD. Mitch brown would be a handy addition

A talking point after the game was the starring efforts of Irishman Conor McKenna.

It's understood McKenna had already been on the radar of AFL clubs, with up to six already believed to have spoken with him about an AFL career, but he can expect more attention after four goals and close to a best-afield showing.

McKenna isn't tall but used the foreign AFL ball naturally, with a touch of speed and composure. Paddy Brophy, who has attended the Irish talent combine in recent years, was another to show some skills and athleticism.

Looks like a good prospect for a category b rookie! Also clem smith looks a perfect fit for us and is a west Aussie!

What would you guys consider a fair trade in terms of Will Hoskin-elliot?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just reading up on some of the draft prospects and clem smith/jarrod Pickett look like the best smalls in the draft. If we end up with pick 2/3/4/5 I would love us to take 1 if them. An explosive small forward is a clear deficiency in our squad as we have smith, Wilson as our only recognised small forwards.
Sumner?

Yeah we will definitely consider that fair......;) All Jokes aside............Would you consider First round pick about right?
We'll have 3 picks in the top 25 or thereabouts and mightn't use more than 3, so if picks are involved it'd probably have to be a 1st. In terms of players, we plugged massive holes bringing in Shaw and Mumford so it's not going to be easy to entice GWS to give up a 21 year old for an older player who doesn't fill a need.

That said, I can't see the club being in any rush to trade him. There were rumours of homesickness in 2012 but he then re-signed in Feb 2013.

Remember supply and demand. He is contracted so we have no obligation to trade a guy who has not wanted out. You want him therefore inflating his cost. The total cost will outweigh perceived value. Basically hit the draft with your first rounder and take a young guy at the cost of your first rounder and not a guy with an injury history that will cost u more then he is currently worth

Remember supply and demand. He is contracted so we have no obligation to trade a guy who has not wanted out. You want him therefore inflating his cost. The total cost will outweigh perceived value. Basically hit the draft with your first rounder and take a young guy at the cost of your first rounder and not a guy with an injury history that will cost u more then he is currently worth

Well exactly, the inflated price is to be expected with him having another year to run on his contract. I can see us showing real interest in him come season's end, he ticks a lot of boxes for us. It will really come down to what you want for him and whether we believe it will benefit us enough to make it worthwhile. If isn't we won't. You may not even want to trade him like you said, you have no obligation to trade him because he doesn't want out. Will be interesting to see what eventuates, if anything does. With the injuries, I know he has had quite a few but i'm interested to find out has it been a recurring injury or have they been unrelated injuries?

Most of his injuries are impact related. He is worth more to you then he is to us so unless you put quality on the table then expect a big fat no. Your more likely to get a player like mark whiley or Tim golds then u are whe

Thoughts on the prospects of Plowman, Jaksch or O'Rourke leaving?
In terms of likelihood, I'd say least likely to most likely it'd be Plowman, Jaksch, O'Rourke. Hard to get a read on whether any will end up leaving though. If any do, we'll be looking for Adams or Tyson style deals.

Plowman's getting his run now, Jaksch has been the subject of homesickness rumours but there was an interview semi-recently where Whitfield says they both laugh whenever they read about it, and O'Rourke just hasn't broken into the side yet (injured in the pre-season but he seems close, being an emergency this weekend)

Or Tomlinson
Can't see it myself. He's not necessarily 'behind' the likes of Cameron, Patton, Boyd because he brings something different to the side and can play higher up the ground than any of our other KPFs. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out as the year progresses in terms of team selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back