List Mgmt. 2014 trade/draft/FA/delistings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Sorry, should have said trade thread.
Out of interest were people getting defensive about Tyson & Adams last year? They weren't exactly fringe players. Your list management is going to be far more complex than clinging on to everyone on your list & waiting for the good times to roll. It's a delicate balance.
I think the frustration comes from every other fan coming onto our boards, offering a spud or 2nd rounder and then expecting our top stars for them. Then acting all high and mighty. Not saying you personally. Or maybe you have but either way. Its annoying. Especially when its our entire list wanting to supposedly leave for a "real" club....

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think the frustration comes from every other fan coming onto our boards, offering a spud or 2nd rounder and then expecting our top stars for them. Then acting all high and mighty. Not saying you personally. Or maybe you have but either way. Its annoying. Especially when its our entire list wanting to supposedly leave for a "real" club....
To be fair, that is maybe 50% of posters (unless you're on the Essendon board where it's closer to %90) and we all have to put up with them.
Maybe it is just that you guys are completely fed up with the whole thing but I have seen some pretty harsh responses to some perfectly reasonable posts lately.

In my opinion it is not your kids wanting to leave that will force you to trade, but balancing the contracts of so many talented players at the same age. It will be an impressive feat to keep them all, especially with COLA being scrapped.

Johndory

Team Captain
Oct 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hi guys, just wondering if hoskin-elliot has come on as well as you would have liked as a player so far and if we were to speculate putting him on the trade table what kind of compensation would you be looking for from north?

Hi guys, just wondering if hoskin-elliot has come on as well as you would have liked as a player so far and if we were to speculate putting him on the trade table what kind of compensation would you be looking for from north?
He is coming on really well, easily best 22 for mine and hopefully someone we would leave off any trade table..

Scully2Folau

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 12, 2011
GWS
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
BOS:Celtics/Patriots/Bruins/Red Sox
WHE's consistency was really hampered by niggling injuries in his first two years, but as Mortibacio said he's now entrenched best 22 and is likely in for the long haul now.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
WHE's consistency was really hampered by niggling injuries in his first two years, but as Mortibacio said he's now entrenched best 22 and is likely in for the long haul now.
Ergh. You guys just don't want to play along do you. As an outsider I really rate WHE (Western Jets bias) & I think his value has really increased throughout the year. I would suggest a pick 5-10 would be fair value, although I can't see GWS trading him either.
IF he did for some reason decide he wanted to go to North it would take your first pick as a starting point.

Ergh. You guys just don't want to play along do you.

Correct. Funnily enough, we don't have to if we don't want to. :D There's the D&T board that's dedicated to this kind of thing if people are looking for responses that haggle over players' worth.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Correct. Funnily enough, we don't have to if we don't want to. :D There's the D&T board that's dedicated to this kind of thing if people are looking for responses that haggle over players' worth.
Yeah that's fair enough too.
I guess trade hypotheticals aren't that interesting when you aren't really in a position to gauge any holes in your list just yet. I guess there won't be too many.

I don't buy the you guys needing a key defender talk. Would it be fair to say you could use a little more size through the middle though? Or do you think guys like Tomlinson or even Cameron might run through there?

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
In terms of KPD we have enough young talent but I'm not keen on chasing a champion KPD though as it will just cause us to lose our young talent. However I wouldn't mind us taking another mohr type. A champion state leaguer as a stop gap

I don't buy the you guys needing a key defender talk. Would it be fair to say you could use a little more size through the middle though? Or do you think guys like Tomlinson or even Cameron might run through there?

We've Davis and Mohr, but we really need a third guy to step up especially to fill the hole when the others aren't fit. Corr looked good last year but has been injured. Frost is an interesting prospect but is still a prospect. Plowman is more of a rebounding defender or even midfielder. Jaksch has looked promising this year as he has a bigger frame than the others. But Frawley basically fills that hole straight away, and it looks to be one of our bigger holes.

On the bigger bodied Tomlinson absolutely runs through there already (albeit on a wing). Plowman is another option and has played through the middle in the reserves. I think more won't hurt, but I don't think it's a priority. Foot speed would be nice as well.

IanW

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
#Exers
Ergh. You guys just don't want to play along do you. As an outsider I really rate WHE (Western Jets bias) & I think his value has really increased throughout the year. I would suggest a pick 5-10 would be fair value, although I can't see GWS trading him either.
IF he did for some reason decide he wanted to go to North it would take your first pick as a starting point.

Ahh, BigFooty.

WHE was picked at 4. "I think his value has really increased throughout the year".

Poster concludes "I would suggest a pick 5-10 would be fair value"

#headdesk

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
We've Davis and Mohr, but we really need a third guy to step up especially to fill the hole when the others aren't fit. Corr looked good last year but has been injured. Frost is an interesting prospect but is still a prospect. Plowman is more of a rebounding defender or even midfielder. Jaksch has looked promising this year as he has a bigger frame than the others. But Frawley basically fills that hole straight away, and it looks to be one of our bigger holes.

On the bigger bodied Tomlinson absolutely runs through there already (albeit on a wing). Plowman is another option and has played through the middle in the reserves. I think more won't hurt, but I don't think it's a priority. Foot speed would be nice as well.
There has been a stupid amount of injuries to our backline this year. There are essentially 5 talls in davis mohr jaksch frost and Corr which is plenty. If we werent battling injury if wouldn't be an issue. The truth is there are no flaws in the list.... if it stays together there is no problem. Now if players start to create hole by pursuing options elsewhere...then we might need to talk.

For now though we have a young team of quality backs and i would love us to avoid the frawley bait....actually id like us to ignore the older player in the backline bait altogether next year

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ahh, BigFooty.

WHE was picked at 4. "I think his value has really increased throughout the year".

Poster concludes "I would suggest a pick 5-10 would be fair value"

#headdesk
Yep. Not his first year in the comp Ian and draft value goes out the door pretty quickly. Would you expect a pick better than 2 for O'Rourke?

Do you really think you could get a pick higher than 5 for WHE?
That is rare territory.

If he was a more 'complete' footballer with the inside game to match his outside maybe, but no one will give up a top 4 pick for a very very good winger or flanker.

Take it to the St.Kilda or Brisbane boards and see if anyone would trade away Wright, McCartin or Petracca for WHE...

IanW

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
#Exers
Yep. Not his first year in the comp Ian and draft value goes out the door pretty quickly. Would you expect a pick better than 2 for O'Rourke?

Do you really think you could get a pick higher than 5 for WHE?
That is rare territory.

If he was a more 'complete' footballer with the inside game to match his outside maybe, but no one will give up a top 4 pick for a very very good winger or flanker.

Take it to the St.Kilda or Brisbane boards and see if anyone would trade away Wright, McCartin or Petracca for WHE...

Tbow,

WHE is a first round pick who is playing in his club's best 22. These players dont tend to get traded much, and when they do, it tends to be for some pretty good compensation - look at the Dom Tyson deal, for example.

Add to this the fact there is no evidence whatsoever he wants to leave, that he happily signed his last contract extention ... and you'd need to be an idiot to think we'd shop him.

Now, sometimes clubs are idiots - the Western Bulldogs, for example, forgot to read the rules on GWS's concessions, and neglected to get Callan Ward locked away.

But in this case ? Nahhhh. Not unless someone did it the right way, and offered the player a stonking big pile of cash first, and then, once he was committed, sorted out the deal with his club.

Last edited:

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Tbow,

WHE is a first round pick who is playing in his club's best 22. These players dont tend to get traded much, and when they do, it tends to be for some pretty good compensation - look at the Dom Tyson deal, for example.

Add to this the fact there is no evidence whatsoever he wants to leave, that he happily signed his last contract extention ... and you'd need to be an idiot to think we'd shop him.

Now, sometimes clubs are idiots - the Western Bulldogs, for example, forgot to read the rules on GWS's concessions, and neglected to get Callan Ward locked away.

But in this case ? Nahhhh. Not unless someone did it the right way, and offered the player a stonking big pile of cash first, and then, once he was committed, sorted out the deal with his club.
Hey I said myself I can't see GWS trading him, just providing what I consider to be his market value to another poster who asked the question because nobody else wanted to.

If you want to respond to the guy asking the question go ahead.

Also I woud say that if you look at the trade of Dom Tyson + 9 for 2 + 20 the value of Tyson would be about pick 7 or 8.
7 + 9 for 2 + 20 seems reasonable. Especially considering the player Melbourne were targeting was in that 9-15 range.

Regardless I don't want to get into an argument about the values of players on your list, and contrary to what you probably think I don't want to see all your players leave for nothing either. It would be terrible for the competition and I'm sure it won't happen anyway. I'm just interested in reading the opinions of some of your supporters as to what they think your club might be doing at the end of the year. Sorry if I have inadvertantly offended you in some way.

Oh and low blow slagging the dogs off on Ward man. Low blow...:eek:

IanW

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
#Exers
Hey I said myself I can't see GWS trading him, just providing what I consider to be his market value to another poster who asked the question because nobody else wanted to.

If you want to respond to the guy asking the question go ahead.

Also I woud say that if you look at the trade of Dom Tyson + 9 for 2 + 20 the value of Tyson would be about pick 7 or 8.
7 + 9 for 2 + 20 seems reasonable. Especially considering the player Melbourne were targeting was in that 9-15 range.

Regardless I don't want to get into an argument about the values of players on your list, and contrary to what you probably think I don't want to see all your players leave for nothing either. It would be terrible for the competition and I'm sure it won't happen anyway. I'm just interested in reading the opinions of some of your supporters as to what they think your club might be doing at the end of the year. Sorry if I have inadvertantly offended you in some way.

Oh and low blow slagging the dogs off on Ward man. Low blow...:eek:

S'true with Ward. It was a major-league stuff up not recontracting him past the Giants window.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/bulldogs-resign-youngsters/2009/08/19/1250362118823.html

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
is there anyone on the GWS list that is an outside quick player or tall defender/utility that is out of contract and cant get a game?

Liam Sumner is a quick outside/small forward player who can't get a game but he's tied up til 2016 having already signed an extension

Kristian Jaksch is a tall defender/utility type who is out of contract, but has just started to crack regular senior games.

O'Rourke and Whiley are both out of contract and can't get a game, but they are more slower inside types.

Looks like you'll just have to do with Josh Bruce from last year.

Liam Sumner is a quick outside/small forward player who can't get a game but he's tied up til 2016 having already signed an extension

Kristian Jaksch is a tall defender/utility type who is out of contract, but has just started to crack regular senior games.

O'Rourke and Whiley are both out of contract and can't get a game, but they are more slower inside types.

Looks like you'll just have to do with Josh Bruce from last year.

what are GWS looking for this off-season?

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Will be interested to see who people think will not be on the list after the trading period, obviously the 2 out of contract 2012 draftees O'Rourke and Jaksch spring to mind and from looking at the list 1 of the ruckman may also be
I would like Jaksch to stay with Mohr out with an ACL think he looks to be stronger and more developed than Frost and Corr, Haven't seen any of McCarthy but guessing being a first year player he would be behind those listed and would not want him thrown in at the deepend with an inexperienced defence
Looking at the contract list others are Whiley, Downie, Schulz, and the older players Hunt, Gilham and Addison
Hunt is obviously looking at NFL
Gilham Back to Vic unless he is a possibility for a coaching job with the club
Addison Similar role to Sam Reid?
With Whiley being a NSW player i would hope the Club and player can agree to another contract
Any chance Downie hangs around with 4 other full time rucks and Boyd/Patton having spells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back