2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to state the blatant obvious here but, Swan was one of the negotiators that gave us pick 33 for our two year old pick 12 (Docherty). I don't think he has had a change of heart in his negotiating skills over the past 12 months - If Ryder asks be traded to us, Essendon should be very nervous. Cold hearted is one word to describe Swan's business/negotiating skills.

Can we stop mentioning Crisp as a trade. I thought he showed a lot this year.
His size and speed are rare.

Luey yes...
Golby yes...
Crisp NO.

A little hard on Golby, but I can't see him knocking out Harwood or Crisp from the team anymore let alone when Cutler is back and Robertson is pushing Hanley or Rich to the back line.

Mentioning him in a trade doesn't meant people don't rate him. It's just an understanding that you don't give up complete rubbish for something of quality.

For whatever reason Crisp is out of contract at the pointy end of the year which puts him in the realm of trade discussions.

the boys are in a lather over at the port board ! Ryder is the missiah to get them the flag !!!! personly i thought their rucks went well yesterday they need a tough inside nut like a hodge or dangerfield if you ask me !

that said the only way Ryder will come our way is if the family motivation and the quiet out of the media speculation have legs

Port would be a very appealing destination for Ryder IMO.

The prospect of a flag, a club with numerous indigenous players and an indigenous program of repute are things we can not offer at this point in time.

Interesting to see if they'll outbid our offer....Never a nice time being touted as possible trade.. adding to the end of season and the mandatory players to learn they are not in the plans going forward..

His size and speed are rare.

Luey yes...
Golby yes...
Crisp NO.

A little hard on Golby, but I can't see him knocking out Harwood or Crisp from the team anymore let alone when Cutler is back and Robertson is pushing Hanley or Rich to the back line.
Interesting logic...

Interesting to see if they'll outbid our offer....Never a nice time being touted as possible trade.. adding to the end of season and the mandatory players to learn they are not in the plans going forward..

Would port offer a player?

If they think he is a key to delivering a premiership I would envisage that they would be prepared to part with their first round pick.

I thought Lobbe got hammered in the rucking contests by both Ceglar and Hale. Trengrove isn't their answer as the back up ruck especially since he is a defender. You want to keep as strong a defence as possible with a part time ruck rucking so it was in effect a double whammy. Can't see Ryder not going to Port at this time unless we give him a huge salary that he can't turn down. Hoping we are not though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I think ports in the hot seat I think we may get him.

I think ryders partner has alot more to do with this decision than anyone really. And if she wants to move closer to her parents than thats the selling point. Along with leppas family first policy.

In the end its up to ryder but if his partner goes theres no way im moving to adelaide than we have him IMO.

Yeah it feels like extra money, anonymity and proximity to family (Brisbane) vs greater chance of short term success and a club with a more developed Indigenous support network (Port).

Reckon Port are going to be hard to pass up but there are some benefits we offer than may genuinely appeal to someone like Paddy. We're a shot.

Probably Sydney bound though.

Ryder for a second rounder, luey for an early second rounder, toumpas in for that early second rounder and mccartin with our first pick. Much success

Yeah it feels like extra money, anonymity and proximity to family (Brisbane)

Proximity to family may not be that important. Ryder doesn't want to be too close to his family in WA apparently. His wife may feel the same way about her family. Maybe she'd like to be a good days drive away? So Sydney it is.

But still, a woman likes to be near her mum, yere nah Brisbane it is!

Would port offer a player?

If they think he is a key to delivering a premiership I would envisage that they would be prepared to part with their first round pick.

Dunno...not sure a first rounder by itself will be high enough for a player that is easily part of the Dons 22.. He's also one of the best mobile rucks going around would slot straight into any sides 22...Ryder has said he wants to be traded but He's contracted....Essendon will demand the best return....and I can see Little using the courts to prevent any use of so called clause and could tie it up till the start of next season ....Reckon this is going to get a lot dirtier.

Well if it's between Port and us then I think it is pretty even in terms of trading. Port almost never trade a 1st round pick but may be tempted if we offer up our second. In terms of players I don't think Port would want to trade out any best 22 players especially when they are in premiership contention and I doubt Essendon would except fringe players... lets just hope Ryder chooses a club and get it over with.

Ryder for a second rounder, luey for an early second rounder, toumpas in for that early second rounder and mccartin with our first pick. Much success

Would be good but i still dont like the idea of trading luey because of how loyal he has been i would be more open to possibly Crisp or harwood for toumpass because they would fill a need for melbourne while we get a great young talent

what do you guys think of ryder for either lewis taylor or sam mayes? If thats unreasonable, who do you guys see as fair?

what do you guys think of ryder for either lewis taylor or sam mayes? If thats unreasonable, who do you guys see as fair?

I don't think that's unfair, but in the current situation it won't happen unfortunately.

It's much more likely to be a late first/early second round pick and if Kerr does a good job, maybe a fringe player that has shown a bit and might flourish with a different regime.

Paddy has approached us, we're not looking to poach him ... so it's going to be a bit rough for the Dons.

Perhaps he's happy to go to either Port or Bris ... and whoever gives the best deal might win. It's just that we've already got decent ruck stocks ... so we're not desperate.

You would be dreaming if you expect the Lions to trade either of those players. Given the circumstances a 2nd rounder plus a Crisp would be more than fair IMO.

no chance, very unreasonable.

To be honest man if we required a high quality ruck you'd be looking at a high first round or a proven quality player, but this situation is anything but. Ryder wants to leave and we have 3 rucks and a project ruck. He would be a luxury for us, not a thing of desperate need.

In reality the highest you guys will get is pick 2 plus Paine or Crisp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back