2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

X
Hunt yes, Brown no. I think our experiences key positions are better than brown and I'd rather play our young talks who have much greater Ceilings but need exposure at senior level.

Yes I think he can play a lockdown role in defence, midfield or forward line. Also can win his own ball. I'm for Hunt
X2.

If Raines could hardly get a game I'd be surprised if Taylor Hunt would be worth picking up.

Hunt is a better player though, and younger. He's been made a tagger at Geelong but I think he might even be up to playing in a back pocket. Haven't seen enormous quantities of him playing but he certainly hasn't looked completely incompetent in terms of his skills when I have.

So are there any good de-listed free agents that are worth picking up??
Would there be any point in picking up a player that another club doesn't want, when he could keep one of the young guys out for maybe a year, especially Given Leppas preference to play the young blokes. Hopefully Staker and McGuane can plug any holes forward and back, and we pick up another late gem in the draft, and a couple more of the Academy boys, maybe Hammelman and Ubergang.

Hunt is a better player though, and younger. He's been made a tagger at Geelong but I think he might even be up to playing in a back pocket. Haven't seen enormous quantities of him playing but he certainly hasn't looked completely incompetent in terms of his skills when I have.
It doesn't seem like Leppa is interested in taggers. If he was better than Raines he wouldn't be a DFA

Is there a decent forward anywhere in the national footy codes, that we could pick up at 67? Just 1! Surely there must be another JPod out there waiting for his chance.

It's strange that a team like Freo which has supposedly had cap space to burn for a while and is well and truly in the window has been so unsuccessful in attracting players to come to the club in a trade or as free agents.

Just going through the drafts and trading board and saw a post that reminded me they have picked up a free agent: Colin Sylvia. Totally forgot he was playing for them. What an underwhelming recruitment.

With late picks you just have to be on the lookout for a slider who is either a player who could fill a specific need (e.g. I reckon we should be on the lookout for a Suckling type left foot half back with a penetrating kick), OR someone with X factor which the other clubs have overlooked e.g. maybe Ben Brown or Langdon.

With the number of Rookie elevations making the grade, it make more sense in our case to elevate Bourke and O'Brien if there are no stand outs and find some local Rookies worth developing. I can't think of any delisted free agents/ PSD draft hopefuls worth getting excited about - unless there is a young guy like Miles hiding somewhere.

Is this bloke, Lewis Johnston worth a look at 67?

Seems to be a super set shot for goal. Has had his injury concerns over the years.

Seems to be a super set shot for goal. Has had his injury concerns over the years.

He's available as a delisted FA without going in the draft.

He has repeatedly struggled to adjust to the highest level. It's not impossible that he can find his feet at another club (although it would be his third), but if we had any interest I suspect it would be as a mobile flanker rather than a key forward target. Not quite big enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With late picks you just have to be on the lookout for a slider who is either a player who could fill a specific need (e.g. I reckon we should be on the lookout for a Suckling type left foot half back with a penetrating kick), OR someone with X factor which the other clubs have overlooked e.g. maybe Ben Brown or Langdon.

With the number of Rookie elevations making the grade, it make more sense in our case to elevate Bourke and O'Brien if there are no stand outs and find some local Rookies worth developing. I can't think of any delisted free agents/ PSD draft hopefuls worth getting excited about - unless there is a young guy like Miles hiding somewhere.
With the inclusion of Christensen and Beams into our midfield mix and the return of Rich, I am not of the view that O'Brien will get an upgrade.

He's worth getting as a DFA I reckon. Decent size, good hands, elite kick. Could play a role for us up forward

Personally would like it if we stick to the basics and get somebody that is hard and can kick regardless of the position. Then just add water and stir and watch them go.

Last edited:
Shaun McKernan always looked like he had some talent

Was stuck behind Walker/Tippett/Jacobs combo, then when Tippett left and Walker did his knee, Murphy's Law said McKernan got injured as well.

Didn't play much this year, but I've always rated him - and his bloodlines are good. Ranga's always play better for the Lions too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back