2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno about Robbo, the bloke worries me.

Comes across as a bit of a trouble maker. Didn't he recently lie to the blues about being out late and how he got a fractured eye socket?
Yes, but on a pittance he'll add to our already Andreas like depth. (And he's a ranga).

Very happy with the classic jumper back. Excited about improvement in the kids. Our midfield is good on paper but as Olympic Basketball has proven doesn't matter if you shove the best names together and there's no cohesion. I'm seeing a lot of talk about us suddenly being a finals team, even if we do make the 8 I think it should be understood it's a development year and as finals action would be a bonus.
So you think we should be keeping a lid on it :p

Dunno about Robbo, the bloke worries me.

Comes across as a bit of a trouble maker. Didn't he recently lie to the blues about being out late and how he got a fractured eye socket?
The concerning part is how he got the fractured eye, plus I think their was another incident at a music festival, in which he got into a brawl. Not sure I want a bloke of that character and history of being a troublemaker at the Lions.

Haha, nah f*$ck it jump on. You don't need to be an optimist, but at least get on the train & enjoy the journey.

Oh I'll be enjoying, as you outlined there's already plenty to enjoy about the upcoming season for the Lions. No need to expect the world though.

The concerning part is how he got the fractured eye, plus I think their was another incident at a music festival, in which he got into a brawl. Not sure I want a bloke of that character and history of being a troublemaker at the Lions.
One stuff up and he'll be gone. Don't think we've got too much to worry about. He's not an untouchable... (unless you're talking untouchable in the philosophic sense, and then, well I guess he is an untouchable... and a bit of a loser). If he does come our way, let's hope he embraces the Lions winning culture and stays on the straight and narrow. I'm not sure what he brings to the team though? Utility?

He's not going to take time away from anyone unless he's earning his spot. We're picking up a mature midfielder for depth for free. I have no idea how because we're getting some guy for nothing people are coming to the conclusion that he's going to jump up the pecking order and take away games from guys who are already going to have to work to get a spot.
Sure we are picking up Robinson for free, but he does come with baggage. Their is a reason why Carlton delisted him and why other clubs are reluctant to get him. I rather get games into young Robertson.

One stuff up and he'll be gone. Don't think we've got too much to worry about. He's not an untouchable... (unless you're talking untouchable in the philosophic sense, and then, well I guess he is an untouchable... and a bit of a loser). If he does come our way, let's hope he embraces the Lions winning culture and stays on the straight and narrow. I'm not sure what he brings to the team though? Utility?
What if that one staff up cost us a young player. Say Robinson had an incident with one of our younger talented players, physically or verbally and that young player decides to leave and head back home. What then? It's a extreme unlikely hypothetical, but with this bloke it could happen.

Sure we are picking up Robinson for free, but he does come with baggage. Their is a reason why Carlton delisted him and why other clubs are reluctant to get him. I rather get games into young Robertson.

Can't say whether the baggage is a strong impediment to the rest of our list but given Swann oversaw Robinson's original club I doubt the powers to be so him being too much of an issue. Again, I think he's there as depth who could make the senior list. He'll be in contention with Robbo, no reason to think Robinson is immediately ahead of Robbo. Competition that makes kids work for their spot is always good. I imagine we're far more likely to see Robbo in the seniors round 1 instead of Robinson, having someone pushing him to seize that spot is only good for his development, as is a big body beside him in the reserves.

Can't say whether the baggage is a strong impediment to the rest of our list but given Swann oversaw Robinson's original club I doubt the powers to be so him being too much of an issue. Again, I think he's there as depth who could make the senior list. He'll be in contention with Robbo, no reason to think Robinson is immediately ahead of Robbo. Competition that makes kids work for their spot is always good. I imagine we're far more likely to see Robbo in the seniors round 1 instead of Robinson, having someone pushing him to seize that spot is only good for his development, as is a big body beside him in the reserves.
Don't understand what Swann has to do with it. Swann's job at Carlton was to take care of all the administration side of the club. So Swann would not know Robinson as well as his coaches and the player's at that club. I don't mind Swann vouching for the bloke so he can get a second chance, but I don't like the idea of a CEO having influence in recruiting a player because of his past connections, that should be our coaches or recruiters job to determine if Robinson is the type of player that we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a lot of faith in the club to my stand for any bullshit from Robinson. Also think he will have a big turn around he isn't stupid. Just a bit of a hot head. Plenty of legends at our club had shady pasts or hot heads. Look forward to having Robinson on the team and reckon he will quickly cement himself into our best 22.

Don't understand what Swann has to do with it. Swann's job at Carlton was to take care of all the administration side of the club. So Swann would not know Robinson as well as his coaches and the player's at that club. I don't mind Swann vouching for the bloke so he can get a second chance, but I don't like the idea of a CEO having influence in recruiting a player because of his past connections, that should be our coaches or recruiters job to determine if Robinson is the type of player that we need.
I avoid watching Carlton for several reasons... and TBH I don't even know his preferred position. For some reason I see him as a utility, (an association drawn probably because one of our greatest utilities was also a washed up good for nothing bum). Players that can play several roles are good to have up your sleeve. He's pretty big, and is referred to as "a hard man", (which humours me mostly, because all I see is Dutch courage), but that aside, if he's beaten into submission and behaves, he may be useful, like Travis Johnson, he's not going to keep anyone out of our team who should be there.

edit: unless it's the 2009 EF

I hope we don't get Mitch Robinson as I am not a fan at all, but I expect we will. He represents a low-risk, relatively low cost gamble (as a DFA who couldn't command any trade interest despite Carlton saying "come and get him", what could his salary be? 300k?) We do have cap to burn as we all know, could put him on a performance/incentive-based deal. He provides depth in a few positions we're thin.

I'd be very interested in anyone we could turn into a small defender. I like the idea that's been floated of Claye going back, but could we try and convert Taylor Hunt or someone? I'd like to use Claye's kick closer to goal.

I hope we don't get Mitch Robinson as I am not a fan at all, but I expect we will. He represents a low-risk, relatively low cost gamble (as a DFA who couldn't command any trade interest despite Carlton saying "come and get him", what could his salary be? 300k?) We do have cap to burn as we all know, could put him on a performance/incentive-based deal. He provides depth in a few positions we're thin.

I'd be very interested in anyone we could turn into a small defender. I like the idea that's been floated of Claye going back, but could we try and convert Taylor Hunt or someone? I'd like to use Claye's kick closer to goal.
I don't think Claye is quick enough for that small defender role. Yeah maybe some stints off half back, but to play on the likes of Betts etc? I'm of the same feeling with Golby. This is why I think it's a definite area of need.

I dare say Robinson's problems stem from being provoked. Getting out of the fishbowl will probably help him in that regard, especially in Brisbane where no one will have a clue who he is. Obviously players need to handle themselves better than Robinson has when provoked, if that's the problem, but you'd think there's a good chance his off-field issues would be a thing of the past once punters stop poking him

Maybe we can alternate playing Merritt and Robinson and have them wacking opposition players out of games. No biggy if they get a few suspensions.

I dare say Robinson's problems stem from being provoked. Getting out of the fishbowl will probably help him in that regard, especially in Brisbane where no one will have a clue who he is. Obviously players need to handle themselves better than Robinson has when provoked, if that's the problem, but you'd think there's a good chance his off-field issues would be a thing of the past once punters stop poking him
Meh, provocation is an over-used excuse. There are 9 clubs in Melbourne with around 340 players in the same fishbowl. They're not all punching on at music festivals and nightclubs.

Meh, provocation is an over-used excuse. There are 9 clubs in Melbourne with around 340 players in the same fishbowl. They're not all punching on at music festivals and nightclubs.

The point's a fair one, though. If the problem is getting riled up too easily, then being in a less pressured environment should help.
Ultimately though he has to figure out how to respond appropriately. You're never going to completely escape any sort of provocation.

The point's a fair one, though. If the problem is getting riled up too easily, then being in a less pressured environment should help.
Ultimately though he has to figure out how to respond appropriately. You're never going to completely escape any sort of provocation.
True, he 'should' find himself in less trouble. That is just fixing the symptom or trigger though and not the underlying problem which may manifest itself in other ways, like influence.

Again, I don't want to ride him like some people have done to the likes of Polks. If he becomes a Lion, then so be it. Benefit of doubt and all that. Just registering my opinion, which I think I have probably done to death now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back