leaper

Team Captain
Mar 5, 2000
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Depends who you get it from.

amiriteTairy?
Reminds me of when we picked up Martin Pyke. I think Lethal asked the senior players if he was worth the risk. The players all said yes. The big difference is Pyke was already a premiership player. Streets ahead of Robinson. Pykie was the ultimate spare parts man in our glory days. His only misdemeanor with us was when he head butted the CEO for which he should have got a medal. I say no but I would accept him if the players said yes.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The thing is, Carlton aren't short of dickheads (though Mick seems to be weeding them out). While one club is tossing out dickheads, many here seem to be advocating us gaining one. There are 2 predominant arguments for us doing so;
  1. He has some footballing upside. I don't dispute this, but Carlton could probably use a decent footballer as much or more than us (though our footballers have a bit of developing to go), yet they have valued the riddance of dickheads over keeping him. Some behavioural issues can be overlooked for the returns gained on ability. Voss and Black being involved in a pub scuffle for example, is easily pushed aside considering what they brought to the team. If a dickhead played like Abblett or J. Selwood, I probably wouldn't care so much if he had a habit of shitting in the Queen St Mall, but does Mitch's football prowess outweigh his dickheadness?
  2. Everyone's been a dickhead at some time in their life. To me, this is a ridiculous argument. I'm not interested in whether his antics or behaviour should be adjudged as making him a bad or good person, or what sort of human being he should be viewed as. He is no worse than many hundreds of young men his age. That doesn't make him suitable to be a valuable member of our team. It doesn't make it okay to be an influence on any of our young blokes. Hell, I used to binge drink 4 nights a week when I was a youngster, not something I would recommend for anyone and certainly not something acceptable for a listed player of The Lions. Just because others (myself included) have been dickheads sometime in their life doesn't make it okay for our club to employ one.
The one argument that does make sense and the one I accept, is that we can or should have faith in our coach, list manager and CEO, and I do. Despite my misgivings and protestations, if the club decides he has a place here, that is the one reason I accept, and I will.

Agree, happy to back the judgement of the coach, CEO & team. IMO he is better than 'has footballing upside', all things being equal he is in our starting 22, an aggressive big body ready to go. In reference to your second point, at what point in time does someone not deserve another chance? It really ties in to your final & best point, the coach & team will be doing due diligence. We all love a redemption story.

May 20, 2006
In the Clique.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Robinson's defensive pressure is fine.

He actually does have positive aspects to his game, John!

He will be to us what Jack Crisps is now to the Pies supporters?

If we get him and he improves fine but I never rated him as a player at Carlton. I am not going to suddenly change my tune. He has a lot to prove to me and that is nothing to do with any off field behaviour. I just do not rate what I have seen over the years. In fact this place can be to blame for that. When we had a thread ranting about his not being drafted I took an interest in him and have never been impressed. Never. He has not been that good a kick, I have hardly seen him handball to advantage, he is far too keen at being hard at the ball and the man when sometimes it does not warrant that and he often heads in the wrong direction after reading the play incorrectly.

It takes a lot for me to be critical of players around here. It is not my style to be too crook on players but I do not rate Mitch Robinson. I am not keen on him and think he is an ordinary player among the many ordinary players. I see no redeeming features at this point in his career. I am of course be happy to be proved wrong and will willingly hold my hand up. But I think we could do better. He should be coming into the best times of his career and he has been let go and no other team seems interested. That worries me.

May 20, 2006
In the Clique.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Because he'd also make the starting midfield rotation of Carlton's Dickhead Team of the Century.

I'm supportive of what Swanny and Leppa decide to do. They certainly don't seem like they are making decisions without careful consideration.
Of course not and I will be obviously expecting the player to improve from what I have seen and be one of us now. But even you have said it "Carlton's Dickhead Team of the Century" and you get the likes of me that question his ability. A lot to worry about with this one for mine. I so hope I am wrong. I really do.

Kojihama

Team Captain
May 7, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Your logic is flawed. Robinson has had a 100 game career at Carlton. Patfull came as an unknown rookie.

He said "... we don't need rejects who can't get games in other sides". That's what I was pointing too. Patfull was a rookie who couldn't get a game at Port.. if we didn't pick him up we wouldn't have had a club champ of his ilk. I'm not saying Robinson will become a club champ, but I, like most others would trust in the Lion's current administration. They've proven to be of a higher calibre than our previous administration and at some stage you have to give them a level of trust to do their job instead of just b1tching and moaning about their decisions on an internet forum.

tate13

All Australian
Sep 5, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Geez this club must be about as solid as a house of cards if a bloke like Robinson is going to come in and disrupt everything, push Leppa to his limits and drive guys like Aish to seek a trade. We also must have a pathetic leadership group if a player of relative insignificance (meaning he's not the profile of a Beams etc) is going to come in and create a toxic environment.

I'm probably missing something, but I don't get the big deal. We literally get him for nothing except the contract fee which will be minimal and the spot he fills on the list. If it doesn't work we cut him loose. I also think that Raines, Polks and even Maguire at the beginning of last season proved that Leppa isn't going to give players a game over youth without them earning it. If he comes to the Lions that's great, if he plays round one, he's earned his spot.

Last edited:

fitzbane Lions

Cancelled
Oct 4, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Actually Id take Handringham too.
and Jetta.

glad your not recruiting for us. Both massive spuds. especially Jetta but you made up with your call on Luke Thompson. personally really think Robinson can bring something to us as we lack players of his experience especially with the players we have lost this year through retirement and delistings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he's proven 22 why is Carlton delisting him?

Good question. I'd prefer the club keep building on what they've done after GH5.

I believe we are not mature enough to carry characters like Robinson yet.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He said "... we don't need rejects who can't get games in other sides". That's what I was pointing too. Patfull was a rookie who couldn't get a game at Port.. if we didn't pick him up we wouldn't have had a club champ of his ilk. I'm not saying Robinson will become a club champ, but I, like most others would trust in the Lion's current administration. They've proven to be of a higher calibre than our previous administration and at some stage you have to give them a level of trust to do their job instead of just b1tching and moaning about their decisions on an internet forum.
That was 2006, a very different team at a very different stage of development, still stacked with a team full of premiership winning stars. Adding an overlooked rookie then is totally different to known ratbag to our current side. Then and now have different needs.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
For any doubters of Robbo, check this out, it is against us in 2011, please don't look at the score.

Got his highlight reel for 2014?
It seems whenever we look like picking up another club's scraps, we check out how terrific they were 3 years ago.
I don't care what he did in one game 3 years ago.
He also gave away the most frees in that game.

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
one thing that he would bring that we don't have a great deal of is agression.

Rocky gets suspended for little jabs at taggers, Merritt for being careless... Gardiner has his niggle

but we don't have many players who play on the edge or are the first ones in to a push and shove protecting a teammate etc.

not saying he is best 22 but he has some on field qualities that would be useful given the age of our list and the fact our reserves could be playing with only 1 or 2 players with 50+ games afl experience (compared to much of last year when they had Raines, Moloney, McGrath for chunks, Polkinghorne).

Bert Man

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
PSG, ARSENAL
Adam Carter was just delisted by West Coast. I would be really interested in picking him up as a DFA or in the draft. He could potentially play as a small defender. I thought he looked really good last year,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Adam Carter was just delisted by West Coast. I would be really interested in picking him up as a DFA or in the draft. He could potentially play as a small defender. I thought he looked really good last year,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just came to post the same thing. Aggressive, locks down opponents and neat disposal. Would be interested in him and Hardingham.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dont know who this Hardingham is because everybody has been calling him Handingham.....and calling him a spud.

Handinham.

Ham-hands-1024x707.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back