2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you are in the minority. When this was originally mooted your thoughts would've reflected the majority but attitudes on this board appear to have changed. I'm not sure why as not a lot has happened that I can see to change people's perspectives but either way once he's a Lion I hope all get behind him and give him a go as one of ours.

I love redemption story and think he'll be a great addition to our mix.

Obviously i will get behind him, if he joins our club. But, i would rather us not go for another midfielder who will barely make the team next year and won't be in our best 22 in 2016.

Obviously i will get behind him, if he joins our club. But, i would rather us not go for another midfielder who will barely make the team next year and won't be in our best 22 in 2016.

Your right to your opinion but those points you make are highly debatable.

I can't even predict who will be in our best 22 next year, let alone 2016. Assuming you're right, you do realise teams get injuries and suspensions?

If we have injuries like 2014 again this year, and with our young squad I reckon Robinson could likely be a top 10 finish in our B&f

Robinson looks like he is quick. Highlight packages make players look better then they are but he looks like he can be a servicable player. We can probably do with a human wrecking ball now browny and maloney are retired.

Robinson looks like he is quick. Highlight packages make players look better then they are but he looks like he can be a servicable player. We can probably do with a human wrecking ball now browny and maloney are retired.
*Moloney

And yes, it would be good to have a steam train mid again. It's been too long since Albert Proud disappointed us all.

I thought the same thing too, but I'm pretty sure that particular highlight video has been slightly sped up. There was also only one really nice pass in the lot, but you could never fault the mans commitment to the ball.

Pick 80-odd is likely also be a midfielder who will barely make the team and won't be in our best 22 in 2016... Here's a list of our new players taken from pick 40 and above since 2008 - one success, one sitting around the fringe of the best 22, and seven delisted. I'd hazard a guess that Robinson has better than a 20% chance of providing decent contributions to our team.

41 Banfield
57 Cornelius
69 McCulloch
81 King
PSD 5 Rockliff
47 Harwood
73 O'Brien
84 Retzlaff
47 Wearden

The one filtered out because it wasn't a "new" player? Another success: pick 91 on Maguire, a delisted player.

This is true, but to be honest, watching one of those vids of the 'tough' stuff, I noted that a lot of those 'tough' tackles were borderline illegal and many would attract a free kick against, these days. In a lot of them, the ball is long gone before he throws his opponent into the ground. Exciting when it's one of your players, but not when you're on the receiving end.
This isn't a comment on the rights and wrongs of how the game is played (plenty want the 'tough' stuff back), but the way umpires and MRP view how the game is played, the style of play Robinson employed 2, 3, 4 years ago will draw unfavourable attention. It has been said already that he has had to temper his hardness and that is because to be hard these days takes a lot more skill and finesse. You have to know when to go and when to let go. Just going full throttle will just end up in frees against and suspension. Our team already is on the wrong side of the free kick ledger.
He will have to be able to play with skill, not just smash into blokes. If he can do that with a hard edge, I'll be happy, but forget those highlight packages of yesteryear.

Pick 80-odd is likely also be a midfielder who will barely make the team and won't be in our best 22 in 2016... Here's a list of our new players taken from pick 40 and above since 2008 - one success, one sitting around the fringe of the best 22, and seven delisted. I'd hazard a guess that Robinson has better than a 20% chance of providing decent contributions to our team.

41 Banfield
57 Cornelius
69 McCulloch
81 King
PSD 5 Rockliff
47 Harwood
73 O'Brien
84 Retzlaff
47 Wearden

The one filtered out because it wasn't a "new" player? Another success: pick 91 on Maguire, a delisted player.
Justin clarke says hi

Never knew so many of our supporters were against having depth on the list.

The way the "wouldn't make our best 22" cliche is used around here, you'd think the objective of list management was to spend your salary cap on an elite 22 and having nothing in reserve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is above pick 40 in the national draft, no?

Nope, that's a separate draft with different contracts (only one year) and pay rates (not in the salary cap unless they're playing seniors), so picks in that tend to be a different profile to those in the ND. Robinson, as a DFA, will not be going on to the rookie list. But hey, if you want to compile a list that includes all rookies since 2008 I'm pretty comfortable in assuming that it's going to be a significant blow to even the 22% success rate.

Nope, that's a separate draft with different contracts (only one year) and pay rates (not in the salary cap unless they're playing seniors), so picks in that tend to be a different profile to those in the ND. Robinson, as a DFA, will not be going on to the rookie list. But hey, if you want to compile a list that includes all rookies since 2008 I'm pretty comfortable in assuming that it's going to be a significant blow to even the 22% success rate.
So rocky and Clarke were untouchable in the ND then?

Hmmm Rockliff was on my list, so I don't know why you're throwing him in now? Did you make that list of rookie successes and failures, if you're so desperate to include Clarke?

Still can't quite work out why the club doesn't think like this. Hopefully if Roughead ever becomes available, we steer clear after the failure of the last hawk reject we drafted in Lisle.
Roughy likely to ever be delisted?
If you're going to counter illogical statements, don't do it with equally ridiculous ones.

That's the way to reply to a well constructed post, with a one liner that wasnt even accurate. Great work there. For **** sake if you want to have a different opinion fine but at least put some bloody effort into it. Twitter has a lot to answer for with its character limit

Seriously! After Fevola, we shouldn't be going after anymore carlton rejects.

No thank you!

Baby..............Bathwater.
Chalk and cheese as much as you may think it's the same pool.

Happy for Robbo to get another shot at things and I'd be surprised if you aren't giving it to the CFC as to how you pulled our pants down with this one.
Unfortunately his time was up at our club for matters outside his playing ability and I think he'll be one of those guys that won't wast his second chance.
We'll see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back