2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Probs time to post my annual request for folks to cite sources when quoting news or rumours please.

Doing so helps assess the reliability of the "news".

Others have probably seen a lot more of the Sydney Reid than I have, but the only standout game I have ever seen him play was when he kicked 5 an undermanned Lions and in particular McKeever.

Seems very injury prone for someone I'm guessing we'd have to pay a premium price for including giving up something of significant value.

At this very, very early stage, I'll have to be convinced, which includes obviously finding out what it would cost us.

Of course, all very much nothing but the first of probably hundreds of rumours over the coming months.
He's only young, but he does seem to have a bit of that Jarrad Waite vibe going on. Can take a good grab and kick a bag, but is injury prone and doesn't perform often enough. Like Waite, he's been used as a swingman/utility as a result.

He's contracted until 2017 and is best 22. Not sure why they would be trying to offload him(cap space/not progressing as expected?) and wouldn't come cheap.

I understand it's fun to hypothesize, but we can categorically put a cross through dangerfield off our Xmas list, the only place he will be going Is to be closer to his family at Mogs creek, I grew up near he and his family and know them well - he is a huge family man, and the dangerfield clan all live near each other in Mogs.. No way he is moving to third state.

Sam Reid would be a great get for us. He is young, creates a contest in the air and has a good set of hands. Those doubting our interest in Reid are looking for a massive hail mary obviously. There isn't an absolute jet young forward on the trade table anywhere. Reid is a much more credentialed footballer than any other key forward we have acquired. Sydney must be under massive salary cap pressure and Reid's long term contract would be strangling the payments of Cunningham, Lloyd, Bird and Rampe types. I think we could probably get Reid for a 2nd round pick. Reid has to agree to the trade and Sydney probably need to move him on because he is surplus to their key forward requirements these days. Great opportunity for our club.

The other player I would seriously look at is Sam Blease from the Dees. This bloke has enormous jets and I believe would blossom under our slingshot, dash and go style. Would happily put Blease on my list ahead of the blokes we will be delisting.

Sam Reid would be a great get for us. He is young, creates a contest in the air and has a good set of hands. Those doubting our interest in Reid are looking for a massive hail mary obviously. There isn't an absolute jet young forward on the trade table anywhere. Reid is a much more credentialed footballer than any other key forward we have acquired. Sydney must be under massive salary cap pressure and Reid's long term contract would be strangling the payments of Cunningham, Lloyd, Bird and Rampe types. I think we could probably get Reid for a 2nd round pick. Reid has to agree to the trade and Sydney probably need to move him on because he is surplus to their key forward requirements these days. Great opportunity for our club.

The other player I would seriously look at is Sam Blease from the Dees. This bloke has enormous jets and I believe would blossom under our slingshot, dash and go style. Would happily put Blease on my list ahead of the blokes we will be delisting.
Interesting thought. He does have a load of speed but from the few games I have seen he hardly has footballing ability. Can't kick and chooses the wrong options. Only seen him play a few times tough. Might be worth a punt and has some experience to compensate for what we are going to lose this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After publicly saying we have crap loads of cap space we will be the target of many rumours this off season. I do not think we are in a position to trade considering players going out have little value and our picks are pretty much spoken for. With Martin going gang busters im sure Bergs will be the center of many done deal trades as well.

Going to be a long off season I think.

Probs time to post my annual request for folks to cite sources when quoting news or rumours please.

Doing so helps assess the reliability of the "news".

And a reminder that "twitter", "facebook", "SEN", etc isn't a source. The account or person who said it through those mediums is the source. For instance, if a journo on SEN says something that has a lot more weight than a caller on SEN.

I'm a little bit excited coming Into this trade period. Leppa has had a year to go over the playing list and will probably try to trade a few who don't fit Into his plan and bring in a few experienced bodies through trade/FA. What's also a good thing is that our picks are pretty much locked in so he can't do a Voss and overdo the trade ins.

I'm a little bit excited coming Into this trade period. Leppa has had a year to go over the playing list and will probably try to trade a few who don't fit Into his plan and bring in a few experienced bodies through trade/FA. What's also a good thing is that our picks are pretty much locked in so he can't do a Voss and overdo the trade ins.

This is the one thing that I tend to think people are over subscribing too. It may well prove to be correct for the most part but I'm not entirely sure that our picks are all sown up with Academy players just yet. Still a lot of water to go under that bridge and history has tended to show that popular opinion on academy kids has been a little on the high side to say the least.

After publicly saying we have crap loads of cap space we will be the target of many rumours this off season. I do not think we are in a position to trade considering players going out have little value and our picks are pretty much spoken for. With Martin going gang busters im sure Bergs will be the center of many done deal trades as well.

Going to be a long off season I think.
In Swann doing so(publicly stating we have money to burn) has at least made our club a little more significant. I'm enjoying seeing our name in the headlines.(for the right reasons of course) Albeit rumours and innuendo. But hey, beggars can't be chooses.

Raines officially departs.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-08-27/raines-departs-lions

Do we trade him out or will he just be delisted? If there are interest from other clubs (say Melbourne) would he be involved in a deal that way (presumably for later picks). He is still 28 (going on 29?) so he may be worth a 3rd/4th rounder/

Raines isn't worth anything. I think we'd be prepared to help him get to the club of his choice by trading him for a 6th round pick if there is any interest but he could do that now as a delisted free agent anyway.

the only way he might have value is as the steak knives in a trade. but then I can't see any club interested in a 28yo midfielder who fell out of favour at a bottom half side in recent years who has poor disposal.

maybe the Saints if Clint Jones retires.

Raines officially departs.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-08-27/raines-departs-lions

Do we trade him out or will he just be delisted? If there are interest from other clubs (say Melbourne) would he be involved in a deal that way (presumably for later picks). He is still 28 (going on 29?) so he may be worth a 3rd/4th rounder/

If it's clear that it's mutual (or, more likely, team initiated) then clubs are unlikely to trade for him as they know that we will be delisting him. Reading the article this appears to be the case. As a result other clubs would be able to pick him up for free as a delisted free agent.

Apparently the Gold Coast have offered Frawley a contract worth truckloads of cash, making it likely Melbourne will receive pick 3 in compensation. No doubt the AFL will make it happen after rejecting their priority pick request. It shits me because they one, do not deserve a priority pick, and two, they're compensation (which I thought was designed to ease the pain on the club losing the established player) is well and truly giving Melbourne a pick that no club would be prepared to give up for him if trading normally. Dees are the huge winners here if they get pick 3 for that spud. Compensation picks should be limited to a maximum position of end of the first round.

This is the one thing that I tend to think people are over subscribing too. It may well prove to be correct for the most part but I'm not entirely sure that our picks are all sown up with Academy players just yet. Still a lot of water to go under that bridge and history has tended to show that popular opinion on academy kids has been a little on the high side to say the least.

I'm inclined to be cautious too, but TBD reported Schwab giving an interview where he said that we were looking to take three or four academy kids and having a hard look at the father/sons.

Schwab was just interviewed at the Gabba.

Said we can expect 3-4 Academy players this year and they are looking very closely at Clayton and Roos as well.

I'm surprised Schwab was that candid about draft strategy, but it does seem to support this growing perception that the academy is producing more draftworthy kids. On the other hand, we did take three academy kids this year but two were rookie picks. As far as I can see, there's nothing in Schwab's statement to suggest that couldn't be the sme again.

I'm inclined to be cautious too, but TBD reported Schwab giving an interview where he said that we were looking to take three or four academy kids and having a hard look at the father/sons.
I believe he said "looking at" them, not "looking at taking them" which is quite a different thing altogether. Of course they are looking at them, as they are looking at a hundred other possibilities.

I believe he said "looking at" them, not "looking at taking them" which is quite a different thing altogether. Of course they are looking at them, as they are looking at a hundred other possibilities.

That would make sense, though I was basing my interpretation on the phrase 'we can expect' in the post I quoted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back