2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not a free agent till end of 2016.

I feel like I've made this post 10 times in the last 3 days :p

groundhog-day-driving.jpg

Obviously last couple of days speculation is about us getting experienced types. But reading about saints looking to really refresh their list with multiple higher end talents any thoughts in what package we could offer for pick 1? Ongoing speculation they're prepared to trade it.

I guess the comparison is Melbourne gws last year. Pick 2 for 9+ Tyson.

Obviously expect the saints would ask for our first pick (let's call it 5) and one of our more successful young players this year eg Taylor, gardiner, mcstay.

I wonder if we'd get away with something like 1 for 5+Lester

Lester is a good inside mid ready to contribute and has 10 years left in his career.

Not sure saints would accept or we'd be interested but it's another option in the background.

Ryder signed his current 4 year contract back in 2012 so despite having 2 years left on his contract it is possible that circumstances might have changed in the last 2 years.

I have to admit that the GH5 last year has left me feeling a little gun shy when it comes to trading this year. Unless we are getting A grade talent at a never-to-be-repeated price then I would find it hard to let go of anyone else at the moment. Maybe it will feel very different (with our wads of cash apparently luring every two-bit player to ever lace on a boot) being the beneficiary of forced sales rather than the poor suffering victim.

I have to admit that the GH5 last year has left me feeling a little gun shy when it comes to trading this year. Unless we are getting A grade talent at a never-to-be-repeated price then I would find it hard to let go of anyone else at the moment. Maybe it will feel very different (with our wads of cash apparently luring every two-bit player to ever lace on a boot) being the beneficiary of forced sales rather than the poor suffering victim.

Yeah, I'm much the same. Don't want to be trading anyone out unless they really want to leave (and will do so regardless). Apart from bringing in a bit more experience I'm pretty happy just to watch our list develop.

Beams would be the exception, just because of sheer quality and perfect age bracket. Even then I'd be very hesitant to trade someone loyal to us. We're building something here but it's still fragile.

Hopefully with all the ASADA crap he can delist himself from their list and we nab him as a delisted free agent. Reading through a few posts on their forum they expect Pick 4 + Leuey :rolleyes: Heck some even wanted Rocky+Hanley + Zorko + pick 4...

Seems legit. It is the same group of people, however, who also think a "pharmacologically experimental environment" was pretty legit too. And that James Hird is a saint who has been mistreated by everyone. Give them six months with Zorko and the keys to their medicine cabinet and he will be a 200cm bulked up full forward.

What are the rules if a player seeks to be leave a club due to failing in their duty of care to a player? Been mentioned here that he may be able to become a free agent to avoid further lawsuits etc. but does anyone know anything definitive? Or is this the first time such an incident has arisen?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just cant imagine Luey lasting a whole season..

Maybe a Luey / Ryder trade would a smart move.

If Luey is important to our culture and could damage it by getting traded then no way.

Luey has ahigher ceiling than ryder..... heck he'd be the out and out best if he could just stay out on the park

Well this is interesting...

Daniel Merrett becomes latest Brisbane Lions cull victim

BRISBANE have offered up key-position player Daniel Merrett for trade next month.

Merrett, who is contracted beyond this year, has been floated to several clubs, including Greater Western Sydney.

While the Giants have told the Lions they are not interested in the 29-year-old, Brisbane are preparing for offers from Victorian clubs in need of a big defender — notably Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs, potentially in return for a low-order draft selection

Firstly - it's Denham, so everything needs to be taken with at least ten grains of salt. Secondly, would make the Ryder approach make considerably more sense, but despite his flaws, would hate to see Rog at a different club. Lastly, it's a Denham piece.

Firstly - it's Denham, so everything needs to be taken with at least ten grains of salt. Secondly, would make the Ryder approach make considerably more sense, but despite his flaws, would hate to see Rog at a different club. Lastly, it's a Denham piece.

I really hope this is just Denham spinning s**t. Not a great way to build faith in committing to the club culture when you're trading out the heart and soul clubmen. It would break my heart to see Sauce in any guernsey other than a Lions.

I really hope this is just Denham spinning s**t. Not a great way to build faith in committing to the club culture when you're trading out the heart and soul clubmen. It would break my heart to see Sauce in any guernsey other than a Lions.
No quotes, l am not a big fan of Merret but he does play a role for us and he is a clubman. Definitly wouldnt want to let him go for a "low-order draft selection"

"Brisbane’s tally of seven wins this year is even more remarkable considering experienced players Daniel Rich, Matthew Leuenberger and Brent Staker played a combined tally of just eight games."

Why would you even bother put Staker in that equation when he played 0 games? Stupid journalism.

Just on the Merrett rumour, you would have to question if there was any chance Merrett might have suggested he is open to a trade. Our backline whilst not set in stone really looks like McStay, Gardiner, Clarke and Patfull to cover talls with Maguire as back up. Forward line will be a lot of Luey/Martin, Close, Freeman, Draft pick, Paine opportunity. You would have to think big Rog has been told that up forward is where he will be played from now on barring disaster in the backline.

I am still saying Merrett is in our best 22, but he is 29 we are probably 2 years from finals at a minimum. Maybe he could be requesting a trade. Pretty sure the Hawks and Freo would give up their 1st rd pick for Merrett considering McPharlin and Lake are both probably gone at the end of this finals campaign. Picking up another top 20 pick might be enough to prize Dayne Beams from Collingwood if he desperately wants out. Pick 5 and 19 for Beams is fair compensation.

Cant see the big man asking for a trade. Just had a child, moving interstate would be the last thing you want to do.

Unless they have little family up here and his Mrs is from I terstate and wants to move back to be closer to her family and help with bub or something like that.

This has really suprised me.
It would make me sick seeing Merrett line up in another jumper....... literally sick...... however....

I can see this being good for Rog.

1) Back to his best position.
2) New challenge.
3) New experiance.
4) More options post career.
5) Premiership a possibility.

I think this article is plausible as Rog had a terrible year. I can see him thinking about the above factors could help him enjoy football again.

At this stage of his career. .. I love Merrett enough to want the best for him over the club. He owes us nothing. If true I hope this came from him as "Leppa I'd be open to trade ideas... It would be good for me and could really help the club".

Would also be a good sign Goose's body is in relatively good shape for another year if Leppa agreed.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back