2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
back on topic... has anyone got a free agent list for the AFL? This would play a significant part in our list management this year with ceratin players careers hanging in the balance depending on what we can bring into the team I would think

"You can't get 100 game players without playing 99. You can recruit in or build it. We're going to build"

Pretty clear what Leppa has in mind and what his aim is for the next few years.

I agree... but we need to get a list of 30 quality afl players. Rebuilding to get up to this number could be too tough, and I think adding some quality free agents along the way should be a priority. Just need to pick the right ones and not be scared off by past failures. We really need to find a healthy combination of both recruit and build

I agree... but we need to get a list of 30 quality afl players. Rebuilding to get up to this number could be too tough, and I think adding some quality free agents along the way should be a priority. Just need to pick the right ones and not be scared off by past failures. We really need to find a healthy combination of both recruit and build

If definitely has to be a combination and if we do finish last this year, our first pick in the PSD becomes just as interesting as our first draft pick.

Very rare that you get a gun for free in the PSD but you have to at least try. In these days of 2 expansion teams with lists bursting with talent and good players desperate for opportunity, who knows what situation might present itself. Especially with our salary cap space.

Even if we don't pull off a PSD coup, and have to trade in players, you still have to wield that PSD pick like a weapon to leverage better deals. Shame we've lost Kerr. He was a shrewd tactical negotiator and it would have been interesting to see what he would have done with a #1 PSD pick.

If definitely has to be a combination and if we do finish last this year, our first pick in the PSD becomes just as interesting as our first draft pick.

Very rare that you get a gun for free in the PSD but you have to at least try. In these days of 2 expansion teams with lists bursting with talent and good players desperate for opportunity, who knows what situation might present itself. Especially with our salary cap space.

Even if we don't pull off a PSD coup, and have to trade in players, you still have to wield that PSD pick like a weapon to leverage better deals. Shame we've lost Kerr. He was a shrewd tactical negotiator and it would have been interesting to see what he would have done with a #1 PSD pick.

Yeah it is normally very hard to get a PSD gun, but the #1 helps... It will be fun smack talking other supporters with the PSD threats they have thrown at us in the past... just for kicks at least. But I do agree that The GWS and GC having all that talent which cannot be fit into one team "could" provide a unique opportunity to get a high quality youngster, and I dont think we should blink an eye lid to aggressively talk a player into the PSD from these 2 clubs

Yeah it is normally very hard to get a PSD gun, but the #1 helps... It will be fun smack talking other supporters with the PSD threats they have thrown at us in the past... just for kicks at least.

Yep, will be nice to be not only immune to the "third rounder or we take him for free" threats but to dish em out.

But I do agree that The GWS and GC having all that talent which cannot be fit into one team "could" provide a unique opportunity to get a high quality youngster, and I dont think we should blink an eye lid to aggressively talk a player into the PSD from these 2 clubs

Yeah, have heard some people claim there is a gentleman's agreement among recruiters to not be total bastards via the PSD but it only goes so far.

If the gentlemen's agreement exists, Carlton, West Coast, St Kilda and to a lesser extent Port waived their right for Brisbane to honour it with their treatment of us in trade week last year. We have plenty of karma credit in the bank, time to cash in if we can.

If the gentlemen's agreement exists, Carlton, West Coast, St Kilda and to a lesser extent Port waived their right for Brisbane to honour it with their treatment of us in trade week last year. We have plenty of karma credit in the bank, time to cash in if we can.

I'd love nothing more to acquire a player from any of the clubs that screwed us in snaring the five sooks that buggered off last season.

The crap we've had to endure from opposition supporters and their veiled threats come trade / draft time would be humorous to turn around, especially if are able to pull it off.

In fact, I'll screw any club. Cunnington still out of contract at North. Hope we are in his ear. Former Lions supporter to boot.

Didn't know that.....lets go for him then....at least his heart will be with us.

(which is why I think PattyK never settled. He grew up a Pies supporter, right when we were beating them in GFs..Adults around him would've shown him the hate for the Lions....that hate lingers in most of them still)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are going to look at pinching a recruit via the Psd I think we should definitely be targeting Gws and GC. Both seemingly have a plethora of mids and KPP. Guys like o'rourke or Shiel who have been in and out could be worth a shot.

Is Charlie Dixon in contract next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we are going to look at pinching a recruit via the Psd I think we should definitely be targeting Gws and GC. Both seemingly have a plethora of mids and KPP. Guys like o'rourke or Shiel who have been in and out could be worth a shot.

Is Charlie Dixon in contract next year?

Shiel hasn't been in and out. He's been permanently in, except had a recent injury. O'Rourke might be interested but there seems to be Victorian interest given he hasn't re-signed yet. Dixon re-signed last year.

Shiel hasn't been in and out. He's been permanently in, except had a recent injury. O'Rourke might be interested but there seems to be Victorian interest given he hasn't re-signed yet. Dixon re-signed last year.

I didn't realise Shiel was injured - thought he was dropped. Was just a couple of names I chucked up without really analysing it in detail but I am sure there are others who are on the periphery. Money and opportunities are both going to be stretched with the depth of talent they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the AFL had true dramatic vision they'd manufacture some devious way we could steal Gary Ablett.

Would immediately put us back on the map, the Suns are ready to shine without him, and the rivalry would be sealed for all time.

C'mon Gillon... your move.

If the AFL had true dramatic vision they'd manufacture some devious way we could steal Gary Ablett.

Would immediately put us back on the map, the Suns are ready to shine without him, and the rivalry would be sealed for all time.

C'mon Gillon... your move.

The AFL should just pay Ablett $5 mil/yr to play for the previous years wooden spoon

Courtenay Dempsey from Essendon? Cairns boy so would be happy to head back to the warmer weather of Brissy. Has been on the outer at Essendon this year due to a poor work ethic at training - which of course is a major concern. But their is no doubting when he is up and running he can be a very damaging player of half back and can break lines with his pace. He struggled in the ANZAC day game but he looked short of a run. I think his off field issues would mean we tread carefully but their is no doubting his ability at his best and he is the kind of player our club desperately needs - pace and ability to run with the ball of half back. And Essendon might be interested in dealing him out for unders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back