2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not seeing how Waite would be valuable. Even if Staker and McGrath retire, we've got a forward line including a resting ruck, Merrett and McGuane next year and there's room enough for one young key forward too, whether that be Paine, Close, Freeman, Hammelman or our first pick this year. Why replace that young player with a 32yo? We'll have a tall forward group with an average age of 29 with Waite there, while Paine, Close, Freeman, Hammelman, Uebergang and our first pick all crowd the reserves forward line. Just not seeing the positive.
Get rid of merrier then. While I don't like Waite, he is a better option than merret.

Edit: merret*

Last edited:

I'm not seeing how Waite would be valuable. Even if Staker and McGrath retire, we've got a forward line including a resting ruck, Merrett and McGuane next year and there's room enough for one young key forward too, whether that be Paine, Close, Freeman, Hammelman or our first pick this year. Why replace that young player with a 32yo? We'll have a tall forward group with an average age of 29 with Waite there, while Paine, Close, Freeman, Hammelman, Uebergang and our first pick all crowd the reserves forward line. Just not seeing the positive.

I didn't suggest picking him ahead of a kid. I'd specifically pick him up to be a better experienced forward to lead the line than Merritt and mcgaune.

I also think there's a couple of ways to play two kids alongside the experienced forward (whether it's Waite Merritt, mcgaune or staker) as well. Personally I think it's essential if we are to seriously move to finals contention and beyond as Merritt, west and a kid ain't going to cut it.
Firstly sydney style with 5 talls oldy + two kids + leueie + Martin.
Secondly a kid plays second ruck and only one of leuie or Martin eg as close is currently doing or potentially something wright or freeman can do depending on form/ off season development/willingness to risk them physically.
Thirdly Paine and Hammelman potentially having the engine to play a flanker role (to make a career Paine may need to do this given his size anyway).
Finally given Paine in particular has played defense in the reserves this season (and Merritt, staker, mcguane are all swingmen) playing one less tall defender and having the option to swing one of the forwards back during games if necessary.

I didn't suggest picking him ahead of a kid. I'd specifically pick him up to be a better experienced forward to lead the line than Merritt and mcgaune.

I also think there's a couple of ways to play two kids alongside the experienced forward (whether it's Waite Merritt, mcgaune or staker) as well. Personally I think it's essential if we are to seriously move to finals contention and beyond as Merritt, west and a kid ain't going to cut it.
Firstly sydney style with 5 talls oldy + two kids + leueie + Martin.
Secondly a kid plays second ruck and only one of leuie or Martin eg as close is currently doing or potentially something wright or freeman can do depending on form/ off season development/willingness to risk them physically.
Thirdly Paine and Hammelman potentially having the engine to play a flanker role (to make a career Paine may need to do this given his size anyway).
Finally given Paine in particular has played defense in the reserves this season (and Merritt, staker, mcguane are all swingmen) playing one less tall defender and having the option to swing one of the forwards back during games if necessary.
Paine does not have the engine to play a flanker role and I think it's safe to say he never will. Hammelmann is just too tall to play that kind of role.

Waite has a lot of issues, but I'd be interested simply to have a proper big forward target up there next year. A draftee won't be plug and play (KPFs extremely rarely are). Close needs time and would benefit playing off another more experienced option.

If Close has a big pre-season, Merrett finds some form, McGuane comes out firing, Staker is fit, Paine gets his endurance up, the draftee can contribute at some point in his first year, the ruckmen prove their worth in forward stints etc etc then I can totally understand seeing an older KPF as excess baggage and think we'd regret it a bit if we signed someone like Waite.

But I also don't think we're going to have that kind of luck - options are good, competition for spots is good and the thought of us possibly having another season where we spend a lot of time burning chances to finish is a really tough one to stomach. Even though he's footballer old, if he can keep his head together (which isn't always easy, for sure) he's a much more likely type than the 'sorta there' types we've had a few of in recent memory. I can see the positive in it.

That said I don't particularly like Waite as a player so if we can make a forward line of Merrett, Close/Freeman/whoever, McGuane/Paine/Staker, a resting ruckman and the smalls work I'd be stoked to let it play out like that.

The problem with Jarrad Waite....

30% of the time he's injured
10% of the time he's suspended
50% of the time he plays like s**t
10% of the time he plays a ripper

Also...

100% of the time he's old.
100% of the time he's ill disciplined.
100% agree. Waste of space.

Surely we would have learnt our lesson in recruiting average talls from opposition clubs.

Has one actually ever worked out?

How far back do you want to go (Mal Michael)?

After that, Staker and Martin look like the best recruits, noting that none are really KPFs.

Edit: Oops, forgot Maguire as he wasn't a trade.

Last edited:
Surely we would have learnt our lesson in recruiting average talls from opposition clubs.

Has one actually ever worked out?

Haven't you been pumping Maguire up all season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one who thinks we should trade pick 2 if we cannot secure McCartin and we believe Wright doesn't quite fit our needs? Or should we just go for Petrecca (I hear he could be the best draft prospect and would go one if it weren't for us and St.Kilda desperately after a tall forward).

I would definitely give up pick 2 for a bloke like Patton, maybe even Lynch.

Am I the only one who thinks we should trade pick 2 if we cannot secure McCartin and we believe Wright doesn't quite fit our needs? Or should we just go for Petrecca (I hear he could be the best draft prospect and would go one if it weren't for us and St.Kilda desperately after a tall forward).
In a heart beat, and I reckon plenty would.
Problem is, they won't be offered up, and I doubt pick 2 alone would get it done.

This maybe veering into draft thread material (sorry mods), but:

- I think a lot of people are open to the idea; but

- I don't know if there are strong reasons either way to assume Wright does or doesn't suit our needs. For sure though, the views on his suitability as a KPF ebb and flow (I'm as guilty of this as anyone). McCartin kicked 6 in the TAC cup the other week which had everyone salivating, but Wright got 4 the same week (didn't help that Petracca got 5). Having reflected on it, if what we need is a big target to create a contest, grab a couple of marks and knock in a few goals a week, surely a straight kicking 200cm big-built mobile guy with tap skills can't be unworkable for us?

- I'd be happy with Patton for pick 2.

I know it's the thing to talk about on here at the moment, but does anyone really think GWS will let Patton, Cameron or Boyd go?
I just don't think it's going to happen. And if it does, it will be because someone offers something crazy up(a quality player, not pick 1 or 2).

I know it's the thing to talk about on here at the moment, but does anyone really think GWS will let Patton, Cameron or Boyd go?
I just don't think it's going to happen. And if it does, it will be because someone offers something crazy up(a quality player, not pick 1 or 2).

I can't see them doing it voluntarily. The only thing that might force their hands is that one or two of the three mightn't like the role they wind up with. If Boyd, for example, wasn't going to re-sign next year if rucking was a big part of his role, they'd have to do something. I have absolutely no idea whether the players feel that way, but I think it's plausible.

In that case, it seems most likely that whichever one left would wind up either in Victoria or somehow at the Swans (joke).

I'm going to relate it back to the FA discussion by suggesting if we TRADE for a young KPF prospect. It will also open the door to recruit another player via free agency, potentially another elite mid. I feel our premiership puzzle require 3 major acquisitions:
  • A youngish KPF
  • An elite mid (or 2)
  • The continued development of depth.
I feel we need to add one or two more premium players to our top 6-10 group and improve the quality of our bottom 6 players. If we could nab just one of each, I feel, with our young list, we could be on the brink of something quite good. Dayne Beams is the one that comes to mind in the next 1-2 years. I'm no thorough list analyst, but wasn't Brown on some heavy coin? Surely he and Blacks departure in the last few years leaves considerable room. I honestly can't see how we've manged to achieve 92.5% of the salary cap without some seriously front-loaded contracts.

Obviously a lot needs to fall our way though, beginning with the development and construction of a world class training facility and the appointment of a competent CEO.

I'm going to relate it back to the FA discussion by suggesting if we TRADE for a young KPF prospect. It will also open the door to recruit another player via free agency, potentially another elite mid. I feel our premiership puzzle require 3 major acquisitions:
  • A youngish KPF
  • An elite mid (or 2)
  • The continued development of depth.
I feel we need to add one or two more premium players to our top 6-10 group and improve the quality of our bottom 6 players. If we could nab just one of each, I feel, with our young list, we could be on the brink of something quite good. Dayne Beams is the one that comes to mind in the next 1-2 years. I'm no thorough list analyst, but wasn't Brown on some heavy coin? Surely he and Blacks departure in the last few years leaves considerable room. I honestly can't see how we've manged to achieve 92.5% of the salary cap without some seriously front-loaded contracts.

Obviously a lot needs to fall our way though, beginning with the development and construction of a world class training facility and the appointment of a competent CEO.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Brown was on 900k - 1 million a year. We need to make a huge play for Beams, 5 year 3.5 million deal should be enough to pry him away from the Pies. I wouldn't be averse to even upping that to 4 million over 5 years. He's worth it and would complement our midfield nicely. We need more goal kicking mids and Beams will be coming into his prime by the 2016 season. The opportunity to come home to a team on the rise and to play with his brother would be of great interest to him I think.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Brown was on 900k - 1 million a year. We need to make a huge play for Beams, 5 year 3.5 million deal should be enough to pry him away from the Pies. I wouldn't be averse to even upping that to 4 million over 5 years. He's worth it and would complement our midfield nicely. We need more goal kicking mids and Beams will be coming into his prime by the 2016 season. The opportunity to come home to a team on the rise and to play with his brother would be of great interest to him I think.

Imagine the political ramifications that would stem from that fat bastard Eddie. First Sydney and their COLA, next the Lions and their 'poaching' of players.

"How dare they lure one star player every 10 years? They don't need academies or retention allowances. They're picking off star players as they please!"

I think we also need to place huge importance on the quality of our facilities - I remember reading Lynchy's book and him being happy to be training in the state-of-the art facilities at the GABBA. I suppose coming from Fitzroy in the early 90s would have left most players in awe of any club's facilities in comparison.

We also need contingency plans in place to ensure our facilities are always up to date.

Serious question and I only ask because I do go out of my way to not watch Collingwood, unless the Lions are playing them, but how good is Dayne Beams in comparison to the upper echelon of mid running around the competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back