2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

I would love the idea of getting Beams, but personally I would think long term and try and get him as a free agent in a couple of years, and in the mean time build up our squad to a point that Beams will be the icing on the cake

Might be some truth to it. If the word about the Pies being right into Martin is true, than id have no doubt they would be looking at other angles as well, and Boyd would make sense. Whether or not GWS would do it is the question though.

With West still in the team, I would probably do a Martin for Beams trade, but I would want Wright in the draft. I think I would rather that option over giving up our pick 2. Martin is like 27/28. He is a bit on the old side considering the youth profile of our list. Beams would be a good fit, along with Wright.

I don't really see how anyone would want to trade Martin. Arguably our best player atm and would have 4, maybe 5 years left in him. Remembering he was our third choice at the start of the year illustrates how crucial ruck depth can be. It sounds like West will miss the first half of 2015 while we all know Leuenberger's problems and Archie isn't close to ready. Martin for mine is our no. 1 choice and I'd be really disappointed if we traded him off, irrespective of what comes in as exchange.

I don't really see how anyone would want to trade Martin. Arguably our best player atm and would have 4, maybe 5 years left in him. Remembering he was our third choice at the start of the year illustrates how crucial ruck depth can be. It sounds like West will miss the first half of 2015 while we all know Leuenberger's problems and Archie isn't close to ready. Martin for mine is our no. 1 choice and I'd be really disappointed if we traded him off, irrespective of what comes in as exchange.

Martin has been playing really well. However he's only had two spurts of this level of play in his career. An argument could be made, if clubs came sniffing around with generous trade offers, that we should cash in while his stocks have never been higher and avoid a situation where he proceeds to lose his form indefinitely. Note: I'm in the "Martin + Leuenberger" camp, so I don't advocate this. I just can see whether those discussing trading him are coming from.

Wright would be a good like for like replacement and will be around the next 10 years. Martin might not be here for our next genuine flag push. Sometimes you have to take opportunity when it comes up. Considering what we paid for him, if he in turn landed us Beams, that would be a massive win.

Think they are going to be a bit more desperate. IF and that is a big IF, Beams is looking to move, then they might try and capitalise on that. They miss finals the blow torch will be on them and they wont sit by, they will get active.

First Martin, now Boyd, sounds like they want a big guy.

What makes us think that Collingwood will offer up a reasonable trade, when they haven't done so for years?

I guess the hope is that Beams actually wants to come back to QLD. As far as I can tell it's just BF chatter, but it's a lovely dream.

Martin would absolutely tear it up at the Pies if they did get him off us.

The number one priority for Brisbane next year has to be a Full Forward. If anyone of quality / obvious potential becomes available we need to do our utmost to secure them for 2015 and beyond. If that means moving a player like Leuenberger or even Redden on and sweetening the deal with a draft pick then so be it. Hopefully it won't come to that, after all Port Adelaide picked up Jay Schulz (currently leading goal kicker in the competition) in a swap for Mitchell Farmer and pick 71, so anything is possible.

Might be some truth to it. If the word about the Pies being right into Martin is true, than id have no doubt they would be looking at other angles as well, and Boyd would make sense. Whether or not GWS would do it is the question though.

With West still in the team, I would probably do a Martin for Beams trade, but I would want Wright in the draft. I think I would rather that option over giving up our pick 2. Martin is like 27/28. He is a bit on the old side considering the youth profile of our list. Beams would be a good fit, along with Wright.
Martin for Beams would be daylight robbery.
Martin has been playing really well. However he's only had two spurts of this level of play in his career. An argument could be made, if clubs came sniffing around with generous trade offers, that we should cash in while his stocks have never been higher and avoid a situation where he proceeds to lose his form indefinitely. Note: I'm in the "Martin + Leuenberger" camp, so I don't advocate this. I just can see whether those discussing trading him are coming from.
If his stocks continue to rise, I'd be interested to see what people would be prepared to offer for him.
I guess it depends on whether we think this form is sustainable, particularly when we have to ruckmen in the side. I'm still sceptical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Martin would absolutely tear it up at the Pies if they did get him off us.

I actually think it'll be the opposite, we all know what happens to Martin when he had to share the load 50/50 with another ruck. At Collingwood he'd have to compete the ruck duties with Grundy/Witts. If he'd leave I'd love for us to grab Grundy along with Beams, not sure what it'll cost us though.

I actually think it'll be the opposite, we all know what happens to Martin when he had to share the load 50/50 with another ruck. At Collingwood he'd have to compete the ruck duties with Grundy/Witts. If he'd leave I'd love for us to grab Grundy along with Beams, not sure what it'll cost us though.

Fair point - the Pies would likely to try to use him in that Leigh Brown spot they've desperately been trying to replace.

If they played him as a first ruck with their midfield though, crikey

Grundy is a competitive beast, would love him at Brisbane. It would cost us far too much to get both in a trade though.

I agree Martin has only had two spurts of high level output, but he has only had two spurts as the sole ruckman. I see the point of selling while the price is high, but he is simply much too good in an area we would be badly exposed without him. He won't be here for our next premiership, but hell he's in the first five players picked at present. While we all hold hope of a bright future we need to ensure we produce reasonable results in the present, because we know our environment has a lot of fairweather supporters.

The interesting thing about the Beams situation this year is that there is a very slight whisper, but it hasn't been squashed. Every other time Beams has been mentioned, any rumour has pretty much been put to bed, saying he is super happy at the Pies. I still don't believe it myself, but it is interesting this time around that the whisper, however how slight it is, is still lingering. Just so happens to tie in with things going a bit south at the Pies as well.

Season is nearly over, Pies will have their targets from other clubs and would have talked to their managers already. After a bad year, where they were thinking top 4 finish, they are looking down the barrel of not even making finals, and that will have heads rolling.

The interesting thing about the Beams situation this year is that there is a very slight whisper, but it hasn't been squashed. Every other time Beams has been mentioned, any rumour has pretty much been put to bed, saying he is super happy at the Pies. I still don't believe it myself, but it is interesting this time around that the whisper, however how slight it is, is still lingering. Just so happens to tie in with things going a bit south at the Pies as well.

Season is nearly over, Pies will have their targets from other clubs and would have talked to their managers already. After a bad year, where they were thinking top 4 finish, they are looking down the barrel of not even making finals, and that will have heads rolling.

I've only heard talk of Beams in a 'wouldn't it be nice' capacity on BF. Has there been a more substantial bit of news/gossip from a decent source, or is someone reporting it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back