Not open for further replies.

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco Lions, GS Warriors
Early I know but it is nice to discuss these things regularly as I often forget what happened early in the year at the end of the year.

Cannot see any glaring holes in our list at the moment. Some areas need small top ups like small defender, ruckman and KPF/KPD but there are no dire needs anywhere. We are pretty well rounded. Would like us to head to the draft for most of these but it couldn't hurt to pick up a back up ruck somewhere. It is probably better we do it in the RD.

As I had hoped, our KPFs are really starting to come on. So glad the club did not panic and pick up an experienced forward. I wasn't one who wanted them to however. Was confident the boys would come on.

What would you like to see us trade for? Is there any free agents that interest you (keep in mind we have to be frugal with our cap)?

I'm still a little sketchy with the idea of a ruck man with the amount of stock we have. Unless of course someone insanely good comes along or one of ours *cough Tommy* leaves.

Yes for a little while it looks like we are going to be caught short this year, but will that happen every year? What happens round 8 next year when we have Smith, Nicholls, Gorringe and Mr Trade all fit and firing. We can't even play 2 of them because we have a ridiculously good tall forward line as it is.

It's a tough situation we are in at the moment but I say stick with it

I'm still a little sketchy with the idea of a ruck man with the amount of stock we have. Unless of course someone insanely good comes along or one of ours *cough Tommy* leaves.

Yes for a little while it looks like we are going to be caught short this year, but will that happen every year? What happens round 8 next year when we have Smith, Nicholls, Gorringe and Mr Trade all fit and firing. We can't even play 2 of them because we have a ridiculously good tall forward line as it is.

It's a tough situation we are in at the moment but I say stick with it

Having 3 rucks is perfect for the main list. I wouldn't mind another on the rookie list though. Your right though I think we are getting a bit knee jerk if we ask for another main list ruck. It is just bad luck that all three are injured. We don't have a single other KPP injury at the moment.

Having 3 rucks is perfect for the main list. I wouldn't mind another on the rookie list though. Your right though I think we are getting a bit knee jerk if we ask for another main list ruck. It is just bad luck that all three are injured. We don't have a single other KPP injury at the moment.

Has there been many finds of decent rucks on the rookie list over the years. Am I correct in thinking Dean Cox was one?

Has there been many finds of decent rucks on the rookie list over the years. Am I correct in thinking Dean Cox was one?

Mumford and Sandilands. There has been many late in the ND too. We would not be looking for our next great ruckman though. We would be looking for a back up to Smith and Nicholls. Someone like a Jon Ceglar who is crap but can do the job.

Mumford and Sandilands. There has been many late in the ND too. We would not be looking for our next great ruckman though. We would be looking for a back up to Smith and Nicholls. Someone like a Jon Ceglar who is crap but can do the job.

Billy Longer surprised me last night. First time I really watched him play in ages and he did well!

Billy Longer surprised me last night. First time I really watched him play in ages and he did well!

I dont know why people bag him. He is a developing ruck and they take ages. I like him personally. Not as a person because he is a pea heart but as a player :p

Jack Leslie was the Vic Country ruck so he's a distant option if things are dire. I wouldnt mind upgrading some picks if someone wanted to go but there's no player or position I think we should trade for

Jack Leslie was the Vic Country ruck so he's a distant option if things are dire. I wouldnt mind upgrading some picks if someone wanted to go but there's no player or position I think we should trade for

Think he is a bit short for it at AFL level unless he has a good leap.

I'm not saying he would ever take the mantle but could do it for a game or 2 if injuries happened so we can keep our bookends as bookends.. Andrew Boston would be stiff not to be upgraded so we could get a couple of rookies.

Leigh Matthews has got me thinking how important the ruck position is and how much emphasis (salary cap) you put on it. Also would you rather 40 hitouts or 8 tackles from your ruckman? that's one thing I like about Nicolls is his ground game, like Ben Hudson when he was a crow.

I'm rambling, what's for tea?

Longer has one of the better leaps on him in terms of ruck. He was reaching higher than Hampson last night. Makes him a really good prospect and a difficult match up, considering he also has size.

Easily worth the top 10 pick that Brisbane selected him with.
It was Warnock Sunny_ just a heads up Hampson is a tiger now;). :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just out of curiosity where do you see the problem with our current KPD stocks?

Warnock, Murphy, Bock gone this year or next.
3 medium/key defenders

We have May, Thompson, Tape.
Schade still yet to debut, and Cameron has only played 3 games?

I believe it's a hole in our list management

One more KPD would be gold, Carlisle or Frawley would be amazing. But I don't want to spend the bank on them. I would be willing to part with the first round pick for it. If that wasn't possible I would love to draft a promising key defender too.

One more KPD would be gold, Carlisle or Frawley would be amazing. But I don't want to spend the bank on them. I would be willing to part with the first round pick for it. If that wasn't possible I would love to draft a promising key defender too.

Nailed it.

For what it is worth Essendon is into Matera in a huge way. He was also a huge Bombers fan.

That said given our track record of trading with you guys (not saying anything else) I have my doubts

Do not need a ruck. My opinion is well documented to trade for a key back, Frawley or Carlisle is my pick, and gladly would trade our first round for it.

Frawley FA at years end so he will be getting a few offers but it will take a good offer Id guess, although your teams is now getting to the stage it would tempt a few bandwagon jumpers as your on the verge of some big footy.
Carlise , well Id guess it would cost a R1 pick and a player ( one that you really wouldn't want to lose but one you could afford to lose) or perhaps the second R1 pick (the Geelong comp pick). Ess are restricted at the draft so it may tempt them but remember that Fletcher can not go for ever , they will want to keep him for that time period.

Essendon would not do that in a million years

I know what I would offer/think Matera is worth (10-20 pick range) but I don't work for the club so my opinion is kind of irrelevant

It's all fun hypotheticals on bigfooty.

Wouldn't overly be interested in draft picks personally, plus isn't Essendon excluded from the first round in this draft?

Essendon would not do that in a million years

I know what I would offer/think Matera is worth (10-20 pick range) but I don't work for the club so my opinion is kind of irrelevant

Had some further thought on this.

Essendon lack leg speed and a 1st round draft pick.

So what about Matt Shaw + 1st Round Pick for Jake Carlisle?

Had some further thought on this.

Essendon lack leg speed and a 1st round draft pick.

So what about Matt Shaw + 1st Round Pick for Jake Carlisle?

Essendon Have pick 19 and will not be trading Carlisle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back