BF Awards 2014 UPOTY - and the winner is...

Remove this Banner Ad

To everyone who penned an Unofficial Preview during season 2014 would you please check that your UP thread has been linked in the OP - (and also double check the link is correct pls).

I have compiled a list via the "Unofficial Preview" prefix search and linked them in the OP however some of you may not have used a prefix or the search may have missed a few threads (which I've noticed from time to time). The sooner we can confirm this the sooner we can get voting underway in an attempt to have a winner crowned some time this month.

In accordance with last year's voting method (which seemed to work ok) we will attempt to reduce the list to a best 5 (no easy task) and hopefully have this short-list announced as soon as possible.

Each mod Captain Jack Crimson Azure RandB and ThePuppetMaster will then vote 5,4,3,2,1 (1st pref. to 5th pref.) for a final tally.

Obviously this is a highly subjective exercise and we thank every poster who contributed a UP in 2014 - the standard once again was fantastic.

We also thank all posters for their understanding of the subjective nature of the voting and the fact that this is, in the end, a vital but light-hearted aspect to the Dees board.

Oh boy, wowee!

It was pretty hard coming up with a final 5 UPs after reviewing all the top shelf efforts this year. To say we felt guilty leaving some out is an understatement but there can only be 5 (well that's the ad-hoc rule we made on the fly last year and it seems to work for us).

Without further ado, here are the 5 finalists for 2014 ordered by round:

Get around them. :)

Round 3 - GWS - Losing my direction... - ponsdale

Round 4 - Carlton - Tuesdays with Mickie - Supermercado

Round 6 - Sydney - A Colless Carol - YouDontKnowJack

Round 12 - Collingwood - Dory_77

Round 18 - Port Adelaide - Dwayne's World - d33my

Tuesdays With Mick to win with Dwayne's World in 2nd. Losing My Direction 3rd and Collingwood 4th.
Even though it didn't get nominated, Purple Pizza was another favourite of mine.
Purple Pizza was a fine effort. Both yourself and Striker475 building quite the UP legacy.

i rarely laugh out loud at anything especially reading, i went to a comedy show once and did not laugh at all, and it was pretty funny.
But i must say Dwayne's world made me laugh very hard, very very good, hopefully it finishes first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like a white sprinter in an olympic 100m final - I'm thrilled to have made the final and had no realistic chance of a place. :thumbsu:

You're just excited to be able to flaunt your glorious package on the big stage, Shirvo style.

Not only did we have a tie for 4th place but we also had a tie for 2nd place. Damn you all and your unequivocal UP talent, how am I meant to build suspense if there are two ties leaving an obvious winner? It's nigh on impossible to drag this stuff out! We essentially have to announce the remaining 3 UPs in one go now but I guess if we didn't announce it the North Koreans would have...

The two UPs that tied for second place are absolute master pieces.

One is the (Vivaldi's) 'Four Seasons' of UPs. At each turn it conjured the vivid hauntings of a Cola magnate in a timely Christmas spirit. Beautifully constructed and piss-takes galore.

Beware the Ghost who points...

upload_2014-12-22_17-38-39.jpeg

Equal 2nd on 15 votes is Round 6 - Sydney - A Colless Carol - YouDontKnowJack

For the 2nd year running YouDontKnowJack gets pipped for the winners podium - very stiff. Keep up the great work mate.

The other UP to finish equal 2nd on 15 votes is a parody done so adeptly that its quite easy to imagine it being the original and Mitch Albom being a closet BF stalker trawling for material.

Every Tuesday I sit in a room full of overheated SEN listeners, the people who they cross to whenever there's a contentious umpiring decision and Garry Lyon (who everyone knows is just there practising how to fake being upset when James Brayshaw does a 'gag' about him being hairy) while the league's psychologist attempts to calm our frayed nerves by playing replays of comedic Mark Thompson press conferences for a couple of hours.

He's a great bloke deep down.

"Excuse me Mr. Malthouse" I said, politely trying to get his attention. He spun around and pulled a small knife from his pocket, thrusting it at me and screaming "what do you want campaigner?".
lol

upload_2014-12-22_17-48-9.jpeg

...and we beat this mob to boot! Sweet.

Brilliance...

I thought I'd impress the master coach with a stat. I said "Did you know that Jay Kennedy-Harris has had as many tackles for the season as Shannon Byrnes despite playing about 25% of the game time?"

"I don't even know who that is" said Mick.

"Which one?"

"Either of them"

Setting the bar very high so early in the 2014 season is none other than Round 4 - Carlton - Tuesdays with Mickie - Supermercado

Nice work mate.

Mickie didn't cark it.

The competition at the top end was crazy tight this year. Not much separated first place from equal second but even the tiniest of margins are enough for us to crown a winner each year.

In first place, accruing 18 votes is a UP which I'm guessing had most of us in stitches as we were sucked into a world fit for only one man.

It was simple in concept but one of the funniest works I've seen on BF.

This UP received maximum votes with 3 of the 4 mods which is a mighty effort. Any other year you might expect either YouDontKnowJack or Supermercado to win this thing with their fine efforts but one poster turned it all on its head late in the season.

The waiter came over with our meals. I’d decided on the mushroom risotto, while Dwayne had the porterhouse. My meal looked waterlogged and grey, a fact Dwayne picked up on. ‘The chef has made that risotto somebody else’s problem,’ he said, pointing with his fork. ‘What a chaos meal!’

As the season meandered on I don't think anyone expected this prancing horse to come out of nowhere and scream down the main street, do a donut then zoom off leaving us all coughing in its wafting smoke, gobsmacked at what just went by.

It is the Yellow Ferrari of UPs for 2014.

The 2014 winner is none other than Round 18 - Port Adelaide - Dwayne's World - d33my

d33my awesome effort and please keep up your great contributions to the board in 2015.

Get around him guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thrilled to be in the final group. Fun fact - when I cross-posted on Demonblog some idiot wrote in abusing me for my perceived anti-Shannon Byrnes stance. If he thought that was bad (and let's be fair it was probably Shannon himself) he should have seen the uncharitable things the people I follow on Twitter were saying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back