Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Last edited:
I see the 2014 VFL fixture is out. A cursory glance tells me we have fared much better this year as regards clashes with Hawthorn home games, I can only find one Box Hill home game that clashes with a Hawthorn home game; Saturday May 3 versus Frankston (Hawthorn play St Kilda at the MCG at that day).

http://www.sportingpulse.com/get_file.cgi?id=2864250

Development league fixture here:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/get_file.cgi?id=2864251

Are the ABC televised games still the Saturday ones starting at 1:00pm? We seem to have a decided lack of games starting at that time for the reigning premiers...

Box Hill's fixtures for 2014:

Round 1, week 1: Williamstown v Box Hill Hawks, Burbank Oval, 29 March 2014, 2.00pm
Round 1, week 2: Box Hill Hawks v Werribee Tigers, BHCO, 5 April 2014, 2.00pm
Round 2: Box Hill Hawks v Sandringham, BHCO, 13 April 2014, 2.00pm
Round 3: Geelong v Box Hill Hawks, Simonds Stadium, 19 April 2014, 6.00pm
Round 4: Coburg v Box Hill Hawks, Mantello Holden Oval, 26 April 2014, 2.00pm
Round 5: Box Hill Hawks v Frankston, BHCO, 3 May 2014, 2.00pm
Round 6: Bye
Round 7: Richmond v Box Hill Hawks, ME Bank Centre, 17 May 2014, 10.40am
Round 8: Box Hill Hawks v Port Melbourne, BHCO, 25 May 2014, 2.00pm
31 May 2014 - State Game weekend
ROund 9: Box Hill Hawks v North Ballarat, BHCO, 7 June 2014, 2.00pm
Round 10: Box Hill Hawks v Williamstown, BHCO, 14 June 2014, 2.00pm
Round 11: Casey Scorpions v Box Hill Hawks, Casey Fields, 21 June 2014, 2.00pm
Round 12: Bye
Round 13: Essendon v Box Hill Hawks, Highgate Recreation Reserve, 5 July 2014, 1.00pm
Round 14: Footscray Bulldogs v Box Hill Hawks, Victoria University Whitten Oval, 12 July 2014, 2.00pm
Round 15: n/a (Box Hill and Williamstown play in round 1)
Round 16: Box Hill Hawks v Coburg, BHCO, 27 July 2014, 2.00pm
Round 17: Collingwood v Box Hill Hawks, Victoria Park, 2 August 2014, 1.00pm
Round 18: Frankston v Box Hill Hawks, Frankston Oval, 10 August 2014, 2.00pm
Round 19: Box Hill Hawks v Bendigo Gold, BHCO, 16 August 2014, 2.00pm
Round 20: Box Hill Hawks v Northern Blues, BHCO, 23 August 2014, 2.00pm

Some really odd fixturing going on there. Round 1 of the VFL season is meant to be a split round, but Box Hill plays in both weeks of the split round, then has round 15 off. Only one grand final rematch next season, and it happens to be under lights at Simonds Stadium. The game against Richmond starts very early - most early starts are 12.00pm or 1.00pm, but for some reason, the Richmond game starts at 10.40am. Box Hill's first game against the Northern Blues is the last game of the season!

It's a better fixture than the 2013 version, but it still feels rather odd.

Play twice: Williamstown, Coburg, Frankston

Box Hill's fixtures for 2014:
Some really odd fixturing going on there. Round 1 of the VFL season is meant to be a split round, but Box Hill plays in both weeks of the split round, then has round 15 off. Only one grand final rematch next season, and it happens to be under lights at Simonds Stadium. The game against Richmond starts very early - most early starts are 12.00pm or 1.00pm, but for some reason, the Richmond game starts at 10.40am. Box Hill's first game against the Northern Blues is the last game of the season!

We are playing 'twice' in Round 1 because the Grand Final of the FOXTEL Cup, which both us and Williamstown are participating in, is on the Round 15 weekend.

The reason the Richmond game starts early is because they have bent over backwards to make as many games as possible at Punt Rd as curtain raisers for the Richmond AFL game. They have seven games as curtain raisers to their AFL side.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-12-10/vfl-curtainraiser-bonanza-for-tigers

Are the ABC televised games still the Saturday ones starting at 1:00pm? We seem to have a decided lack of games starting at that time for the reigning premiers...

Sometimes they change the televised games or they don't make up their mind about them all at the beginning of the season I don't think so we might get a few more hopefully.

BHH have two matches that clash with Hawthorn. Hopeless stuff, but better than 2013.
The whole draw seems based around bloody Richmond.
And Collingwood are playing a curtain raiser (practice) before Hawks V Freo.
No home games v Cats, Bombers, Tigers or Pies, so not much $$$ going to come from the gate.
On field, it is a great draw.
Only play most AFL reserves sides once.

Although I am an outsider, I do find it difficult to believe that a 16 team second tier competition is sustainable in the long run.

Or is that just me?

Not you. There's been rumours circulating for quite some time that some VFL teams are on struggle street, financially.

Not you. There's been rumours circulating for quite some time that some VFL teams are on struggle street, financially.
So that does beg the question: what is the future for the VFL? Will it become nothing more than a reserve grade competition for the Victorian AFL sides?

Good fixture for the reigning VFL Premiers. Wish the same people in charge of fixturing Hawks games in the AFL were the VFL ones. Don't play up at Bendigo or Ballarat and return to Vic Park and Frankston. Fewer clashes than in 2013. 2014 Box Hill Hawks schedule is more like 2012- but with more wins for us!

I see the 2014 VFL fixture is out. A cursory glance tells me we have fared much better this year as regards clashes with Hawthorn home games, I can only find one Box Hill home game that clashes with a Hawthorn home game; Saturday May 3 versus Frankston (Hawthorn play St Kilda at the MCG at that day).

Two easy wins ;)

Practice match details at this stage.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/get_file.cgi?id=2912619

Sat, March 1 at Arden St, v Werribee. Dev 10.00 am. Seniors 1.00 pm.

Sat, March 8 at Casey Fields, v Casey Scorpions. Seniors at 4.00 pm. Looks to be following the Hawthorn v Melbourne practice match at Casey.

Sat, March 16 at Visy Park, v Northern Blues. Seniors 11.00 am. Dev 1.00 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back