2nds 2014 VFL Statistics and Match Reports.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hunters Host #3

The Duke
May 31, 2007
Jackson Wink Acad.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Broncos
Following on from the memory stick's 2013 stats thread.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/vfl-stats.997996/

Round 1 2014.

29th - North Ballarat, currently in battle against Collingwood

5th - Werribee vs Box Hill.

I thought it was a good idea to have a "VFL Thread" where all discussion (pre-match selection, gameday, match reports from club/posters etc) be filtered into the one thread, instead of previous seasons, so we can keep track of form and progress. The season has caught up on me though, so I'll leave that decision to our esteemed mods.

Regardless, we have some good VFL watchers who can provide an insight into our split affiliation here, and I'll try to provide some in-depth statistics when I get the opportunity.

Popping this in here from roomy elephant

Astride my giant pachyderm, I ventured into bandit country and from this reconnaissance, I lodge the following intelligence report for the consideration of the Big Footy General Staff;

First, a bit of goss; had a good chat with Jamie Macmillan in the queue for coffee; good young bloke, happy to give his time, honest and humble. He described last week as 'putrid' and indicated Brad Scott didn't spare anyone in the review. Happy with his own performance on Stanton, but couldn't really explain the poor collective effort, after a pre-season in which he said the group had improved on every athletic test across the board. The update on Spitta is that he is doing all controlled (uncontested) drills and close to full training. All in all, the group is pretty keen to atone tomorrow afternoon.

Now to Roosters vs Pies:

Entertaining game, although to be truthful Pies kept them in it with poor kicking (they kicked 11.19.85 to beat the Roosters 11.7.73).

Liam Anthony put in a quality game, hard at it inside, and spread well; just looks like being one of those guys too good for the magoos and not good enough for the ones

Ben Jacobs worked hard for three quarters, but often seemed to get hands on it in the clearance situation without ever getting it away cleanly; however he absolutely flourished in the last quarter (when Roosters got ahead briefly), setting up the play with pinpoint left foot kicking and slotting one through on the run from 45; he does have a weapon in that left foot, but needs to get into a position to use it more

Max Warren was great off half back, offering plenty of run; Mitch Wilkins has put on a bit of weight across the shoulders, and did a good job on Ben Kennedy (recognised by Fitzgerald in the three quarter time huddle)

Trent Dumont works hard on the inside, but clearly needs to be fitter across the ground; the fact he was BOG in a SAFL grand final perhaps only shows the relative quality between the two state leagues. He is a solid young bloke, and if he fills out a bit we might have a Steward Dew-Paul Chapman type.

Joel Tippett was terrrific - hardly beaten all day against Quinten Lynch, read it well and generally used it well. One passage in the second quarter was a highlight - foot race with Lynch, went past him, kept the ball in contest, lost his feet briefly and then got back up to tackle Lynch into touch. Certainly a ready made replacement for Grima if required.

Robyn Nahas was also really good - worked hard up and down the ground, kicked three goals to three quarter time, just before which he pulled off an outstanding mark on the half back line, only to hurt his right knee and was then unable to get back on

And finally to Eric Wallace - and well, Eric was Eric; gave an honest contest at the ball ups (although he has a habit of mistiming his jump, resulting in him running under it). Unfortunately he just cannot get near it around the ground - gifted a kick on the wing in front of the grandstand (from a free down the ground), Hudson was kind enough to observe for the crowd's benefit that the Big E had never seen it. In his best play of the game, Eric got some of his own back by running Hudson down from behind, winning a free; otherwise, there's a lot still to do.

Also headed down to the Williamstown - Box Hill match today.

Ayden Kennedy resplendent in poo and piss (more white, but whatever) at fullback - played OK, few clangers. Shorter than I ever remember. Long neck remains. Clouston worked him over a bit, but inaccurate kicking probably cost Williamstown a win.

Benny Ross is as good as ever. Kinda quiet but he's classy when it gets it.

2014 Peter Jackson VFL
Williamstown 2.3 4.5 7.10 11.16 (82)
Box Hill Hawks 4.6 8.12 11.15 13.17 (95)

GOALS:
Williamstown: Clouston 2 Ferguson 2 Gibbons 2 Owen 2 Davies Carr Banner
Box Hill Hawks: Lawlor 3 Anderson 2 Sicily 2 Webster Ceglar O'Donnell Spangher Hallahan Woodward

BEST:
Williamstown: Marcon Masters Wheeler Clouston Ferguson Owen
Box Hill Hawks: Ross Ceglar Hallahan Kennedy Mirra Lawlor

In action: Liam Anthony, Ben Jacobs, Mitch Wilkins, Max Warren, Eric Wallace, Trent Dumont, Joel Tippett, Robbie Nahas
NMFC.com.au’s best: Max Warren (32 disposals), Robbie Nahas (3 goals), Joel Tippett (18 disposals, 6 spoils), Liam Anthony (27 disposals, 10 tackles), Ben Jacobs (24 disposals, 10 marks, 6 clearances)

Full wrap below

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-03-29/roosters-report-card-round-1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Courtesy of the NMFC website

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-03-31/werribee-report-card

Match:
Final practice match, Saturday March 29
Result: Werribee 15.9 (99) defeated Sandringham 13.8 (86)

In action: Majak Daw (10 disposals 22 hit-outs, 2 goals), Michael Firrito (20 disposals, 8 marks), Kieran Harper (4 disposals), Scott McMahon (21 disposals, 11 marks), Kayne Turner (13 disposals, 1 goal), Mason Wood (14 disposals, 7 marks, 5 i50), Tim McGenniss (38 disposals, 15 marks)
NMFC.com.au’s best: Tim McGenniss

Good to see Harps back out there. Hopefully over the next month he can get his fitness and touch up to scratch and start putting in some solid performances. Having him finding the footy and primed for the second half of the year would be a bonus.

Played the first half only.

So going by his 2013 output, if he'd played the whole game he would've finished with 5 possessions.

Good to see McGenniss getting plenty of it. Would love to see him make it in the AFL. Any chance he could play a run-with roll?

Hi guys, sorry for the intrusion, but I'm wondering how Eric Wallace is going? I looked for an individual player thread but couldn't find one.
Cheers :)

Played his first ever VFL senior match on the weekend.

This from roomy elephant:

And finally to Eric Wallace - and well, Eric was Eric; gave an honest contest at the ball ups (although he has a habit of mistiming his jump, resulting in him running under it). Unfortunately he just cannot get near it around the ground - gifted a kick on the wing in front of the grandstand (from a free down the ground), Hudson was kind enough to observe for the crowd's benefit that the Big E had never seen it. In his best play of the game, Eric got some of his own back by running Hudson down from behind, winning a free; otherwise, there's a lot still to do.

The prevailing view is that he is learning, albeit slowly, and is fully cognisant of the amount of work that he will have to do to ever give himself a chance of debuting at AFL level. But he is learning, and that's all we can ask of him. To be put into the VFL seniors a year after picking up a footy for the first time is still a very good effort.

Hi guys, sorry for the intrusion, but I'm wondering how Eric Wallace is going? I looked for an individual player thread but couldn't find one.
Cheers :)
With North Ballarat not fielding a dev league team this year he's been thrown into the seniors. A couple of VFL watchers had some thoughts in his first senior game here http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/rd1-collingwood-v-north-ballarat.1055060/page-2 and the club's writeup here http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-03-29/roosters-report-card-round-1. I'd say being not too out of place at VFL seniors one year in is encouraging; others think he's a fair way off. Met him a couple of weeks ago and my impression is that he's pretty driven and a competitive beast. Nice bloke too.

Round1
Collingwood vs Nth Ballarat
85 defeated 73

B.Jacobs - 35disposals/9marks/5tackles/1goal/1behind.

M.Warren - 30disposals/12marks/2tackles.

L.Anthony - 29disposals/4marks/7tackles/1goal.

T.Dumont - 23disposals/7marks/3tackles.

J.Tippett - 15disposals/7marks/2tackles.

R.Nahas - 14disposals/7marks/5tackles/3goals/1behind.

M.Wilkins - 9disposals/4marks/5tackles.

E.Wallace - 6disposals/8tackles/21hitouts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back