2014 Western Australian Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
In what is a decent year for WA prospect i think it's high time to start another thread for them. I'll throw in a whole bunch of players now and update with additional players and revisions to existing prospects as i go.

Feel free to do the same.

Clem Smith – 177cm – 74kg - Small forward/ Midfielder – (Perth)
Strengths: Speed, agility, toughness and on field aggression.

Weaknesses: Kicking.

Physical small rebounding defender come midfielder. Gifted with great vertical leap, agility and acceleration he's been compared to Cyril Rioli and the comparison with him isn't completely invalid.

One thing your going to love about Smith is his attack on the contest, he's fearless for a small player. You'll find him bumping bigger players off the ball, putting his head over the ball when needed and attacking contests at full pace.

For me at the moment the biggest weakness is his kicking. He's just not as reliable as id like him to be, he's certainly capable of being damaging because he's reasonably creative. It's more that he's prone to shanks and miss kicks too often.

Tyler Keitel – 193cm – 80kg - Tall Forward/ Defender – (East Perth)
Strengths: Smarts, Marking and Agility.

Weaknesses: Can be a touch selfish.

Keitel is a versatile and agile big man with very strong marking and good execution in front of goals. He's dexterous below the knees, reasonably quick and has a pretty small turning circle given his height.

At first he reminded me of a shorter and more coordinated version of Eric Mackenzie (not exactly the most flattering comparison). Floated down back when in the ruck and was really useful in out marking, spoiling, clearing and rebounding.

The match that sticks in my mind is round 22 against Perth at Medibank stadium. On a boggy ground, in wet and slippery conditions he kicked five goals in the first half. His hands were so clean overhead and so clean of the deck in poor conditions.

Just a natural talent who plays with flair and arrogance.

Bradley Walsh - 180cm - 80kg - Midfielder (Peel)
Strengths: Ball winning ability, clean hands.

Weaknesses: Outside game.

Strong inside midfielder with a mature body. Brilliant at reading the taps of the palms of rucks and getting first hands to the ball. He probably knows his way around a stoppage better than any other midfielder from WA at this stage and is always repositioning himself to ensure he gets in the best position to influence a contest.

His hands are clean and he can quickly distribute to those around him efficiently. His defensive side is pretty good as well both in terms of his stoppage work and his defensive running.

Biggest knock on him has to be his lack of an uncontested game. He's not the lead up type of player who quickly gets into space to create an option. Reminds me a little of Pattrick Cripps in that regard only he lacks his height.

Alec Waterman – 183cm – 88kg - Midfielder (Claremont)
Strengths: disposal, strength, burst speed, goal kicking.

Weaknesses: speed around the ground.

Stocky inside/ outside midfielder, who is gifted with clean hands and close to elite disposal. Waterman is a burst player who thrives on small touches and working in close quarters. He's also good around the ground, strong overhead for his size. Is extremely dangerous when he gets space in and around the 50, setting up scoring shots and kicking a goal a game at Colts level in 2013.

Matthew Ah Sui – 192cm – Utility – (South Fremantle)
Strengths: Running power, marking, athleticism.

Weaknesses: Slight frame and average ground level ability

Running tall utility who seems to sit somewhere between a Cale Morton and Nick Riewoldt. Struggles a little below the knees when the ball falls outside the line of his hips, he just doesn't have the ability to get down and across quickly. He's also narrow across the shoulders, so at the moment he doesn't strike me as either a true KPP or a running wingman. More of a third tall with brilliant speed and running power, a lot like Gunston in that regard only without his contested game.

Ryan Lim – 186cm – Midfielder – (Claremont)
Strengths: Speed over the ground for long periods, smarts, ball winning ability.

Good sized inside/ outside midfielder from Claremont. Is a natural accumulator of the ball, as he can win his own ball on the inside, spread well or find it around the ground. He comes across as a bit of utility as he's a good mark and covers the ground with ease. He's a light and quick runner but not at the expense of strength in congested situations.

Biggest problem is his kicking. Can find a target, but boy can he miss them. If he fixes that up then he could go really high in the draft. Just a very balanced player who looks like he'll be an AFL footballer.

Jacob Dragovich – 178cm – 72kg - Small Midfielder (South Fremantle)
Strengths: Agility, ball winning ability, awareness.

Weaknesses: size, one dimensional?

Small inside/ outside midfielder. Quick hands and sound decision making are his feature, doesn't kick as many goals as you would like for someone of his size. Needs to become more offensive and not just the guy that distributes for the benefit of others. A natural footballer that I worry could be overlooked because of his size and understated style.

Didn't regularly kick goals last season or get out into offensive positions enough. Good footballer but does his size prevent him from playing his normal game up the levels? Has grown a little and would be just shy of 180cm these days.

Aiden Anderson – 180cm – 75kg - Midfielder/ Forward (Swan Districts)
Strengths: Endurance, Overhead marking, Tenacious.

Weaknesses: ???

Smart midfielder/ forward. Who can play on ball or play as a strong hit up target across the half forward line. He's strong overhead for his size and has good goal sense. His kicking is pretty good, nothing special but he's smart and creative user of the pill.

He comes across as a particularly good runner as he's not blessed with elite pace or agility. He just tends to glide around the ground in a similar fashion to Tom Scully. He's tenacious defensive player who's repeat efforts consistently stand out.

Spent most of 2013 playing reserves for Swan Districts and i haven't seen that much of him because of it. Made his league debut last week and i look forward to seeing what he does as at the Champs this year with some midfield minutes.

Jeremy Woodley - 178cm - 63kg - Forward (Subiaco)
Strengths: Speed, Vertical Leap, Agility

Weaknesses: Endurance?

Speedy small forward with rare agility and great game sense. Knows when and where to run and he goes hard at the contests at the right times to turn matches on their heads.

Goal kicking can be a little inconsistent but he generates and takes a lot of scoring shots. So it's not a massive issue.

Lawrence Evans - 177cm - 68kg - Forward (Peel)
Strengths: Vertical leap, Physical

Weaknesses: Consistency

A tenacious small forward with a great vertical leap and strong agility. Those numbers above make him seem small but he's athletic and a physical little player. He's good good skills by hand and foot, the knock on him has to be his consistency and getting up and involved in contests. But there is a lot to work with here, a real jack in the box type forward.

Not named in the U18 intake just yet but id like to see him at that level.

Ben Hancock – 186cm - 77kg - Defender (Peel)
Strengths: Size, utility and kicking.

Weaknesses: Middling athlete.

Strong and physical half back. Loves to crash packs, has a tendency to work opponents over well, rebounds strongly with reasonable pace and a long kick. Need to see more of him as getting round to watch peel play can be a little tedious. Made the 2013 Colts team of the year.

Dylan Winton - 190cm - 84kg - Mid/ Defender (Peel)
Strengths: Marking, Kicking, Defensive rebound

Weaknesses: Agility

Winton is a rebounding defender or tall midfielder. He's strong overhead, a decent kick and smart running player. Doesn't mind dropping back into a hole to take strong defensive marks and helping out covering his team mates. But where he's really strong is in his ability to project positively up the ground when in defense and spreading around the ground while he runs through the middle.

As a midfielder he could use his body size a little and i'd question if he's an absolute genuine ball winner at the highest level. As far as athleticism goes he has neither elite pace or agility but he's a great reader of the play and a good runner.

Harrison Court – 187cm – 87kg - Utility (Claremont)
Strengths: Kicking, utility and endurance.

Weaknesses:

Court is a defender, wingman or a forward. He played a variety of different roles for Claremont in 2013 and that has continued into early 2014. He played as a forward often enough and well enough to kick 18 goals from 20 games, though he doesn't seem to kick many from other parts of the ground. He did some important defensive jobs through the season to differing degrees of success. But for me at the moment he looks most comfortable as a wingman or half back. Where he can use his running or marking power to most effect.

Mid year he really impressed between round 7 and round 11 he averaged 28 disposals. But after the championships he fell away for what ever reason and averaged just 14.4 disposals a game, perhaps it was a change of role. Hard to know how he's rated, but i personally rate him as one of the better players from this group now.

Jarrod Pickett – 179cm - 74kg - Mid/ Forward (South Fremantle)
Strengths: Speed, kicking, goal sense, agility, tackling.

Weaknesses:

Small midfielder/ forward blessed with clean hands, a great kick and strong athletic ability. He's a bit of freak and my number one pick from WA at the moment.

A game breaker wherever he plays. Naturally intelligent forward and a smart dynamic player when he's up the ground. Deep forward, wing, flanks or on ball. I think he could play anywhere, especially if he keeps on growing.

Joshua Deluca – 179cm - 80kg - Forward/ Midfield (Subiaco)
Strengths: Kicking, low centre of gravity, strong body.

Weaknesses: Full time midfielder?

Josh is the brother of Chris Deluca who was a draft fancy a few years back. Josh is bigger and more AFL applicable talent, playing as more of a high forward/ midfielder than his brother who played deeper as a goal sneak. Josh has a brilliant left foot boot on him and a highly developed body. He's been elevated to play league with Subi and been playing well as a forward.

I'd like to see him back playing midfield even if it was at Colts level. He hasn't proven everything at that level and consistency was an issue for him in 2013.

Samuel Bevan – 195cm – 80kg - Tall Forward/ Defender? (Claremont)
Strengths: Goal kicking (set shot), marking, skills

Weaknesses: Body strength.

Consistent with the archetype that clubs were attracted to heavily in the recent past. Skinny but highly skilled tall forward. Started to put some muscle on but needs to add a lot more, good news is he's still groing.

Has started the season well for Claremont playing a bunch of different roles at both ends of the grounds. His marking on the lead and goal kicking is particularly good, just has a fluid and relaxed run up and ball drop that gets good results.

Harry Taylor – 183cm - 74kg - Defender/ Midfielder (Caremont)
Strengths: Marking, body work, decision making coming from defense, speed.

Weaknesses: Contested ball winning ability is a bit of

Harry is a understated small defender/ wingman who became a bit of a favorite of mine. He's quick, knows how to hassle opponents and he's got good rebounding skills. He's also pretty good overhead, with strong marking and a competent spoiler of the ball.

Due to injuries to other players Taylor matched up Johnathan Marsh during the year and while Marsh had both height and a bit of pace on him he still managed to make it a good contest between the two of them. In his draft year he's been moved up to play the wing and been getting good numbers. Is in WA's U18 squad for 2014.

Jared Hardisty – 179cm – 85kg - Small Midfielder (Claremont)
Stengths: Disposal by both hand and foot, strength over the ball, ball winning ability.

Weaknesses: Pace at the highest level.

Hard as nails contested ball winning midfielder. Hardisty has a short and stocky body, but uses every ounce of it. Loves a contests and is always seen at the bottom of the packs dishing the ball out.

However i get the feeling that if his inside game isn't viewed as being strong enough he won't attract much interest from AFL clubs unless he proves he's a little more well rounded. He has improved his body shape and looks fitter in 2014 than he did last year. I hope he impresses in the U18 champs and gets picked up because he's beautiful long left foot on him that can be used to great affect and is an absolute competitor.

One of my favorites.

Max Walters – 185cm - 82kg - Midfielder (Subiaco)
Strengths: Hard running, clean inside hands, ball winning, tough.

Weaknesses: Kicking is average.

A strong inside midfielder who possesses a natural ability at stoppages, can win his own ball and moves to the right positions quickly. He's long of limb and has rare ball control, will turn heads at the champs with his ability to distribute. Looks to be a natural accumulator and a great momentum midfielder who comes across as someone in the style of a Joel Selwood only more athletic. Didn't see enough of him last year as he missed the second half of 2013 with injury.

Jack Cripps - 198cm - 85kg - Forward (East Fremantle)
Strengths: height, mobility, skills.

Weaknesses: slight frame, inconsistent mark.

It's probably one of the weaker groups from East Fremantle in a long time and losing Barry Barone to injury and James Rayner to Queensland hasn't helped them. Jack Cripps is easily one of the better prospects.

Cripps is the cousin to both Jamie and Patrick Cripps. He's a tall and skinny forward/ ruckmen who originally thrived early in 2013 before falling away a little. He's agile, he's mobile and he's got pretty good skills. Goal kicking isn't as good as it should be given how well he uses by foot it in general play.

His ability to hold contested marks was an issue last year, but he was really skinny and is still growing. A lot of the fundamentals are there and anyone with his size and height will attract attention. Added both height and weight since last year which is a positive sign.

Ben Evans - 191cm - 74kg - Utility (Subiaco)
Strengths: Speed, vertical leap, strong mark.

Weaknesses: Games smarts, kicking.

Evans is a amazing athlete and has performed well within the CFDC over last couple of years. Polling well in the last years MVP and attracting a lot of attention with his more freakish moments. He's got an amazing vertical leap and has sticky hands. He's also very quick in a straight line and a ferocious tackler. Currently plays as a ruck/ forward for Subiaco.

I've got him in here because i believes he's a player who could attract some attention if improves quickly and really start to perform to a high level within the Colts system. That remains to be seen at the moment. But he's one to watch nonetheless.

Matthew Palfrey - 185cm - 80kg - Forward (Claremont)
Strengths: Marking, Recovery, Forward Smarts.

Weaknesses: Reliability by foot.

Overage forward from Albany that dominated the seniors finals in the South West last year turning a lot of heads. Moved up to play with Claremont and has started really strongly. Naturally Claremont have offered him with good supply but it looks like he can win a lot of his own ball both in terms of contested work and his work rate around the ground. Had 24 disposals, 12 marks and kicked 4.3 in round 1 in an imposing display. A member of the 2014 WA U18's squad.

Jermaine Miller-Lewis – 187cm - 75kg - Forward (South Fremantle)
Strengths: Speed, body strength and his skills.

Weaknesses: Endurance?

An athletic and strong marking forward who is as good in the air as he is on the ground. My issues are that he plays too deep and doesn't get up the ground and get involved with play enough. He can kick a bag of goals in one game and then literally go missing the next week. He lacked influence is so many of the games i've seen him play at Colts level.

He's got a bit of mongrel about him and if he's been retained in the AFL/ AIS academy so i'm hopeful that i'll see better from him in 2014. Otherwise he could be another Troy Taylor/ Chris Yarran (2010). Not one of WA's top prospects at the moment.

Warrick Wilson - 187cm - 72kg - Wingman (Swan Districts)
Strengths: Marking, Great Kick

Weaknesses: Consistency, Contested possession

A tall flanker come wingman who has the potential to be a real game breaker at the highest level. He's fast, rangy and athletic outside player who breaks the lines and projects across long distances up and down the ground.

He's a pretty linear player and looks at his best when he's able to get out out of the back of contests or break free once possession has been won. He's a former AIS member and hasn't had a whole lot of exposure at Colts level until late last year.

Jarrod Garlett - 179cm - 67kg - Wingman (South Fremantle)
Strengths: Speed, Ball Carrying, Agility.

Weaknesses: Slight, contested possession

Speedy outside midfielder/ wingman. Bless with rare speed and agility, he's a genuine line breaker and one of the more underrated prospects from WA. Would be less well rounded than either Pickett and Smith as he's a pure outside player. But with his pace and disposal he has the tools to be considered a draftable talent.

Christopher Firns - 185cm - 75kg - Midfielder (Swan Districts)
Strengths: Endurance, Strength over ball, Link Up Work,

Weaknesses: Average kick and pace.

Strong midfielder with a mature game. Strong in the clinches where he has the strength to stand over the ball and distribute by hand or foot. Has a tendency to kick from stoppages a little too much for the modern game though and needs to find less direct and more clear targets. Needs to be more intelligent about how he tries to move the ball forward.

Linking up through the guts and reading the play are two of his strengths. He's a good over head mark and gets into positions where his marking provides structure from which others feed of. I'd liken him to a shorter version of Brad Ebert.

Dylan Neslon - 185cm - 75kg - Mid/ Utility (Swan Districts)
Strengths: Speed, Kicking,

Weaknesses:

Good sized midfielder/ utility blessed with strong agility, good pace and good skills. Not an elite athlete but someone who looks to be above average at Colts level where he possesses the physical abilities to really impose himself on a contest. Part of a very strong group of running taller midfielders from Swan Districts that could give the colts premiership a shake.

Rebound out of the back half with accurate kicking is a strong feature of his game as is his ability to present across the half forward line, marking strongly and kicking goals.

Jacob Daniels - 183cm - 84kg Midfielder (Swan Districts)
Strengths: Zippy, Balance,

Weaknesses:

Zippy midfielder with good lateral movement. Is a play maker through the midfield and half forward area for Swan Districts. Likes to get involved in and around packs where his clean hands and speed allow him to generate space for those around him. Does like to break free into space forward of the play on occasion and he can be really dangerous when he does.

Been a lot of players of his style who have attracted interest over the last few years. I'd compare him to a Sharrod Wellingham.

William Frampton - 198cm - 81kg Forward/ Ruck (South Fremantle)
Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Cameron Loersch - 203cm - 101kg - Ruck/ Forward (South Fremantle)
Strengths: Marking,

Weaknesses: Agility, Vertical Leap

Overage Rukmen/ Tall forward in a similar mold to Darcy Cameron from last year, he's got slightly longer limbs but apart from that they're similar size and shape. Lacks Camerons skills and lateral movement but he's probably a slightly stronger mark of the two.

Aaron Summers - 186cm - 77kg - Wingman (Subiaco)
Strengths: Speed, kicking, marking.

Weaknesses: Contested game? and slight frame.

A fast outside midfielder who is a bit of a dasher. He's brilliant on the spread and loves to go on runs down the wings and kick long, but is only a capable hit up target when he finds himself forward of the play. Not someone who naturally likes his back to the goals.

Only concern has to be the ratio of contested possession and it's reflected in his very low handball numbers. I think he's a little too outside at the moment, some bulk and some development might see him impact more positively on contests and increase his total disposal numbers which are a little low for such a fast endurance runner.

William Michell - 181cm - 72kg - Midfielder (West Perth)
Strengths: Inside/ outside

Weaknesses:

Cody Grace - 187cm - 88kg - Forward (Subiaco)
Strengths: Strength, Marking,

Weaknesses: Lateral movement, endurance

Burly big half forward who is great hit up target or deep forward. Knocks on him have to be to be his fitness in the past and some of that comes down to injury. He also is a bit of a middling athlete who doesn't look that good around the ground. But he's a strong mark and can be a prolific goal kicker. Probably one who's plateaued a lot since the U16 champs where he performed strongly on the back of his size advantage.

Connor Blakely - 187cm - 72kg - Utility (Swan Districts)
Strengths: Size, Game Smarts, Kicking

Weaknesses: Speed

Classy inside/ outside tall midfielder who uses the ball well by hand and foot. He's a natural reader of the play and a damaging link up player through the middle of the ground. Needs to kick more goals and get inside 50 and use his height to better advantage. He's a big boy and that above height and weight is no doubt rather out of date these days.

Playing league and holding his own averaging 18.25 disposals a game in 2014.

Clayton Giblett - 191cm - 89cm - Medium Defender (East Perth)
Strengths: Elite Athlete, pace, agility.

Weaknesses: Ball winning smarts.

Third tall defender or medium defender who has great closing speed and the ability to easily rebound up the ground. The problem was that he doesn't get his hands on the ball enough and his ball use, particularly decision making needs to improve. AFL clubs will like what they see in him because of his upward potential and he's be a chance to be drafted.

Barry Baron - 170cm - 71kg - Small Midfielder (East Fremantle)
Strengths: Speed, Disposal (by foot), Spread.

Weaknesses: Size.

Small midfielder with great speed and agility that was really creative across the midfield and half forward line for Easts. An absolutely lovely user by foot and had the ability to twist opponents inside out and give himself time to hit the right player by foot. Was also really noticeable on the spread from stoppages. Missing with an ACL.

Shayne Hille - 173cm - 63cm - Small Forward/ Mdidfielder (East Perth)
Strengths: Endurance, Disposal, Smarts

Weaknesses: Size.

Small natural footballer blessed with good game sense and disposal. He's good on the lead and at the ball drop, can push up into the midfield where his decision making is a feature.

2015 Draft prospects. - A look ahead to next year. Again in no particular order.

Eddie Simpson – 194cm – ???kg (Claremont)

Bailey Rodgers – 185cm – 80kg (Claremont)

Mitchell Antonio – 185cm – 60kg (West Perth)

Jacob Turner – 187cm – 80kg (West Perth)

Callum Ah Chee – 186cm – 69kg (South Fremantle)

Abraham Kennedy – 186cm – 66kg (Subiaco)

Ethan Burnett – 182cm – 78kg (Subiaco)

Greg Clark – 191cm – 81kg (Subiaco)

Blair Della Franca – 198cm - 83kg (East Perth)

Dylan Smith – 197cm – 65kg (Swan Districts)

Oliver Parish – 169cm – 57kg (East Fremantle)

Thomas Bennett – 180cm – 70kg (East Fremantle)

Kade Steward – 180cm - 65kg (South Fremantle)

Jesse Micro - 190cm - 89kg (South Fremantle)

Chad Daniels - 185cm - 80kg (Swan Districts)

Last edited:
Thanks EH. I was going to start this thread tomorrow, so I'll be adding some thoughts of my own over the season.

Good to see you include Harrison Court in there. His size alone could almost count as an elite feature. I think he could be a handy player, same as Dylan Winton from Peel. Matthew Ah Siu and Jermaine Miller-Lewis are two I really like watching play.

Dylan Winton and Bradley Walsh from Peel Thunder two I rate highly at this early stage. Like Clem Smith a lot but needs to grow. Style of play won't make up for size difference.

Last edited:

Dylan Winton and Bradley Walsh from Peel Thunder two I rate highly at this early stage. Like Clem Smith a lot but needs to grow. Style of play won't make up for size difference.

Yeah. I'd throw Ben Hancock in with those two as Peels best.

No Rucks?

William Frampton is the best from the 2014 eligible rucks.

The 2013 ruck group was stronger and none of them got drafted last year, they might get another chance this year. Darcy Cameron is playing League already, Scott Jones is playing reserves and Loersch is one who moved from Peel to Souths and is playing well.

Next year there is Della Franca and Dylan Smith.

I might as well link this post in with this thread too. My basic preseason thoughts on the WA boys...

Alright, so as everyone knows the best players come out of South Australia. But second best? Well, that has to be Western Australia...

The top two prospects are no surprise really - Clem Smith and Jarrod Pickett. No other state produces these types of players better than WA, although it seems as though there is always some sort of question mark over them. But Smith and Pickett are both looking the goods, and have done so for a few years already. Neither are particularly tall, both would only just be pushing 180cm. But they are both fast, skillful and versatile. My personal preference is towards Clem Smith, but others prefer Pickett and he probably has performed to a slightly higher and more consistent level than Smith so far. Both would likely slot into first round calculations at this stage, and you can't tell me Collingwood or Richmond wouldn't kill for a player like this. Yes, it was only Round 1 but they looked slow and their forward lines didn't look the least part dangerous. With the Suns and Giants young players only getting bigger and stronger every year, I predict teams will start looking more towards pure speed in the draft to try to compete. And Smith and Pickett could be the biggest beneficiaries of this.

Potentially rounding out the starting midfield for WA this year are Ryan Lim and Bradley Walsh, both are also AFL/AIS members this year. I quite like Lim, but at the moment he'd be more the jack of all trades, master of none type player. But a lot of underaged players are that, until they get to play a more settled role in their draft year. He has played most positions on the ground, with midfield/half back being where he looks most comfortable. I like him with ball in hand, he disposes of it well and makes good decisions. Reminds me a little of Brad Sheppard at this stage. And Walsh will likely be the work horse of the WA midfield this year. He's made his league debut already, has won awards at lower levels and just generally dominates on the ground. His height may be an issue as the season goes on though, being on the wrong side of 180cm. And while he tackles strongly and wins lots of contested ball, his disposal can be a bit iffy. Hopefully he can show some offensive football and get on the scoreboard regularly this year, because generally 180cm inside only players aren't highly sought after.

As people who have followed my drafts, they'll know that I love a certain type of player - the tall, freakishly talented utility. The likes of Timmy Sumner and Brendon Ah Chee have featured higher in my drafts than in most. And this year, there's a strong chance that Jermaine Miller-Lewis from South Fremantle will be that player. I haven't seen a lot of him quite yet, but I'm really looking forward to seeing him play. He has been highly regarded for a few years now, I first heard of him as a 15 year old. He is around the 187cm, and generally plays across half forward - much like Sumner up at the Gold Coast. And he is largely a highlights reel at the moment. He just has that feel for the game, just seems a step ahead of everyone else and can do it in the air or on the ground. Probably my favourite thing about him is the way he attacks the ball and opposition, he isn't afraid to go in hard and he has put on some big hits already. Of course, consistency is an issue for him at the moment and he hasn't really dominated a game yet. But there aren't too many players who can lay someone out, and then kick goal of the year. He could.

Next up, we start getting into the KPPs for WA. Last year, Cam McCarthy was a relative latecomer as he wasn't getting much fanfare until after the Championships. So we could potentially see something similar this year. But at the moment, the main three talls would be Tyler Keitel, Sam Bevan and Matthew Ah Siu. None are the big bodied gorilla KPPs, with all three measuring in around 192/193cm mark. And you could probably argue as to whether or not Ah Siu is really a KPP anyway. While he is good over head, he does play a little bit smaller than what his height may suggest. He's good athletically, and moves well with the ball in hand. Even though he has largely played up forward, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him play a Michael Johnson type role across half back - because otherwise, he projects more as that third tall target. Keitel had the better Colts season last year, although Bevan is probably the more fancied of the pair. He didn't get to play a full season, but Bevan looms as a bit of a smokey this year and with his extra height I could see him being the focal point up forward for WA. As for Keitel, he is strong athletically and averaged just under 2 goals a game last year in the Colts - although he did see some action in the U18 Championships as a defender. Not too sure which way he'll go this year, but unless he grows another inch or so it might be as a defender that he projects best as.

One of the interesting things to see with the WAFL this year, will be how potential draftees at East Perth and Peel go now that they are directly alligned with West Coast and Fremantle respectively. We've got Keitel at East Perth and Walsh at Peel, but another young player at Peel is Dylan Winton and he is the one I'm interested in. He made his league debut last year, and it's no surprise why as he stands at around 189cm and 85kg. With that size you'd also expect him to feature quite heavily at the U18 Championships this year, and he could end up being the perfect foil for the likes of Smith and Pickett. With a bit more responsibility, his inside game should improve and I'd like to see him pushing forward as opposed to into the back lines. But in his couple of games as a 17 year old for WA last year, he didn't look out of place. Certainly one to watch, and getting to train and play alongside some of the Fremantle boys should only help his cause.

For West Coast fans, they do have a F/S prospect coming through in Alec Waterman and he is a pretty highly regarded one at that. I quite like him, and would suggest at this early stage a second round pick is the likely cost. Small but solidly built midfielder, who does most things well. Had a good time at the Championships last year, playing four games and showed he could hang with the bigger bodies in the contested situations.

As it turns out, I mentioned 10 players there. So that seems like a good number. Otherwise, some others who should at least feature in the WA squad this year include Warrick Wilson, Aiden Anderson, Ben Hancock and Harrison Court. And if they don't bring back Cameron or Jones, a Jack Cripps could make it in to give some extra height. And just one other, Josh Barty has made the move from NSW to Claremont this year. Pretty raw player who was a Swans Academy player, he'll be one to keep at least one eye on.

Ryan Lim – 186cm – Midfielder – (Claremont)

Strengths: Speed over the ground for long periods, smarts, ball winning ability.

Good sized inside/ outside midfielder from Claremont. Is a natural accumulator of the ball, as he can win his own ball on the inside, spread well or find it around the ground. He comes across as a bit of utility as he's a good mark and covers the ground with ease. he's a light and quick runner but not at the expense of strength in congested situations.

Biggest problem is his kicking. Can find a target, but boy can he miss them. If he fixes that up then he could go really high in the draft. Just a very balanced player who looks like he'll be an AFL footballer.

mate is his kicking that bad. probably seen 3-4 times and I've never thought it was that bad. My observation was maybe that he wins a lot of ball around contested situations and whilst he wasn't super poised at times it was always to advantage and going fwd. To me he reads the game really well and moves to the right spots. Happy to go in close and can hurt you outside as well. I've seen him move thru traffic and I reckon he goes alright there to. Watching him close as I think he could go pretty high come the day.

I've Lim play a dozen plus times. His kicking is his one down fall at the moment that bugs me. Everything else is impressive with him. Chris might compare him to Sheppard but I think Lim is a much more accomplished onballer.

He just has a habit of putting it on the deck and over someone's head on a few to many uncontested/ low pressure kicks. I'm not saying he's a "bad"kick. Just that it needs cleaning up a bit. Contrast is easy to see when compared to his Claremont team mates in Waterman, Hardisty and Court.

He had one of those games on the weekend where he just wasn't as clean as you'd like by foot and others have brought it up.

Last edited:
Why hasn't Connor Blakely's name been mentioned?

Thought he did a few good things in the televised game yesterday.

Last edited:
Why hasn't Connor Blakely's name been mentioned?

Thought he did a few good things in the televised game yesterday.

Lots of players names haven't been mentioned. Blakely is just one of them and he's one I've seen less of.

The Swans Colts side was so poor last year after they went about elevating a few of their best players to play reserves. Making their better players harder to justify going to see.

Any prospects from west perth? I see William Michell has got a fair bit of the footy in a side that records minimal disposals compared to the others. He seems to use it very well and read it good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure Alec Waterman is the best WA prospect right now?

Better question at the moment would be who is better? At the moment nobody is clearly better than him.

The problem is Waterman isn't in the AIS and he's out pointed all of the AIS players so far when it comes to his actual Colts performances.

Anderson has been playing reserves and now league as a forward for the most part. Making a direct comparison hard. Deluca has gone to league as well and is also playing as a forward.

Only Smith had a better champs last year and benefited from playing his most natural position. Then there is the value you place on AIS games against NZ and Europe over the past two years which is a little questionable.

Really the arguments come down to personal preference at this stage, until we see them all at the same level at the same time in the champs and in the combine.

The thing about this years crop from WA is that there is a great depth of good and very good players. Especially in the smalls department.

Last edited:
I know he has since moved back to QLD but what are your thoughts on James Rayner? Would he have been included in the WA team (if eligible not sure if he was)

I know he has since moved back to QLD but what are your thoughts on James Rayner? Would he have been included in the WA team (if eligible not sure if he was)

Yeah he would have been included. Probably somewhere in the middle as far as talent goes in the WA group, really has an opportunity to stand out over in queensland.

Subiaco had a massive win over East Perth in the colts today.

Clark Gregory had his best colts game yet. Utterly dominant in the middle of the ground. Will go next year.

Cody Grace kicked a bag of eight. Against decent opposition but with excess in supply.

Summers, Wilkinson and Bryan ran riot trough the middle with their run and carry.

Walters had a more quite game coming back from injury. Played a bit forward and was influential at times.

Flip side Zumbutto and Dent did some great work particularly in the first half. Lacked support and got overwhelmed late in the game.

East Perth's KP's and tall runners look the goods but are short on substance.

Swan Districts massacred Perth (no talent).

Jason Daniels was excellent with five goals to go with 24 touches.

Dylan Nelson had 30 touches in an impressive display across the ground, went for some great runs.

Little Albert Dean had a day out collecting 34 touches through the guts and forward line.

Sean Fletcher and Chris Firns were also impressive.

Swan Districts massacred Perth (no talent).

Jason Daniels was excellent with five goals to go with 24 touches.

Dylan Nelson had 30 touches in an impressive display across the ground, went for some great runs.

Little Albert Dean had a day out collecting 34 touches through the guts and forward line.

Sean Fletcher and Chris Firns were also impressive.

Correct me if I am wrong here but isn't Jason Daniels ( Alan "Shorty" Daniels Ex Claremont and Footscray ) son ?

Eastern Rangers ( ??? why the name change ) how do you rate Jason ?

Correct me if I am wrong here but isn't Jason Daniels ( Alan "Shorty" Daniels Ex Claremont and Footscray ) son ?

Eastern Rangers ( ??? why the name change ) how do you rate Jason ?

Raymond Daniels was Allen Daniels son?

Jason has a brother a year younger, Chad. He's the more physically impressive of the two and the one who i think more likely to get drafted.

Name change because the junior club changed it's name after it remerged with break away side and restructured. Celebrating it to be honest, the Hills zone has underperformed when it came to supplying quality footballers to Swan Districts. One player drafted from 40,000 residents over 25 years is pretty pathetic.

The ruckman you need to see for 2015 is Ashton Williamson (24-7-97) from Subiaco. He has grown to 200cm and is already impacting colts football. This time next year he is going to be a heck of a player. There's a nice bunch of 1997 kids coming through actually but that's a story for another day.

Apart from those from Subiaco mentioned in ER's excellent summary, I'd be looking at Aaron Summers (24-3-96) 186cm, a recent addition to the WA Academy squad. A very pacy line-breaking outside mid with the height to impact marking contests.

Perhaps Adam Creeper (19-10-96) also. He is another recent addition to the WA 18's Academy and is 194cm and can play CHB/FB and at colts level has the occasional spell in the ruck

It was a very comprehensive list you came up with. Brilliant in fact.

Do you know who is in the WA 18's academy as of now. I can't find a complete list.

Nah. Just snippets of information as each intake is announced.

There would be three more rounds left before the WA squad players are for the most part away from the competition. Looking forward to the Colts talent round.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back