2014 World Tour Races.

Remove this Banner Ad

Volta a Catalunya Stage 2 wrap up.
Well, once again it was a Luka Mezgec victory. He took it on the line, coming from way back! Ferrari came in 2nd and Howard rounded out the podium. The last 4km were pretty good though, the lead up was so quick, I don't think I've ever seen a peleton as strung out as it was. Contador actually led the peleton in the final km, just to try and keep out of trouble, and he kept the pace right up. The two Thomases (De Gendt and Voeckler) both lost time on this stage.

Howard seems to be good form. Still searching for that elusive first tip mate!

Howard seems to be good form. Still searching for that elusive first tip mate!
Just had a look through all of my tips, I actually got the TTT in Paris-Nice correct, however tipping the winner of a TTT is a bit easier :)

Believe it or not though, it crossed my mind to tip Kristoff for Milan - San Remo, but I thought over the past 2 years I'd tipped him too often for no results, so I bypassed him :oops:

Volta a Catalunya Stage 3 Wrap Up.
Well that was a fantastic end to a stage. From about 2.5km to go, Fuglsang kicked and flew up the road and looked like he wouldn't be caught. He was caught though, by about the 1km to go mark. Danny Moreno was leading the peleton at this stage when Chris Froome attacked. Only Rodriguez, Contador and Quintana could go with him. Froom attacked once more, but made very little impact on the group. Once Froome stopped, Rodriguez bolted and was never seen again, winning the stage by 5" from Contador. Quintana came in third and Froome dropped to 5th, with Tejay Van Garderen passing him into 4th place.

Volta a Catalunya.
Stage 4. Alp - Valter 2000 Setcases
map-04.jpg

Tonight's stage is one of the hardest stages I think I've ever seen outside a GT. It includes 1 cat 2, 3 cat 1's and a HC climb to finish the stage. The climb of Vallter2000 is 12km at an average of 7.8% :eek: Look for fireworks on this climb between yesterday's protagonists.

My tip; Alberto Contador. Though he didn't win last night, the climb tonight is more suited to Contador. He should be able to put Rodriguez out of business before the end of the climb. Rodriguez is a great, explosive climber, but struggles on the long, grinding climbs. Alberto Contador can do the long climbs and still have some energy left to attack at the end of the race.

Volta a Catalunya Stage 3 Wrap Up.
Well that was a fantastic end to a stage. From about 2.5km to go, Fuglsang kicked and flew up the road and looked like he wouldn't be caught. He was caught though, by about the 1km to go mark. Danny Moreno was leading the peleton at this stage when Chris Froome attacked. Only Rodriguez, Contador and Quintana could go with him. Froom attacked once more, but made very little impact on the group. Once Froome stopped, Rodriguez bolted and was never seen again, winning the stage by 5" from Contador. Quintana came in third and Froome dropped to 5th, with Tejay Van Garderen passing him into 4th place.
Love it! There's no one better at finishing off those short climbs than Purito, should have won the Vuelta in 2012 doing just that.

Volta a Catalunya Stage 4 Wrap up.
I honestly can't tell you much about this stage. The weather was so bad on the Vallter2000 climb that the broadcasters couldn't broadcast any coverage, other than a very fog affected final 500m. Van Garderen and Bardet were leading the pack, Van Garderen jumped Bardet about 50m out and won the stage. I can also say that Horner and Betancur did not begin the stage. Sorry for the short wrap up, but there is just no coverage of the stage.

Volta a Catalunya Stage 5 Wrap up.
In what was a relatively flat stage compared to the previous two, the stage ended in a mass sprint finish, won by, guess who? Luka Mezgec. Now I can honestly say I had never head of him before this race, and I'm still not convinced he is a superstar, given this race has such a low quality of sprinters. Having said that, Giant Shimano must be rapt to have him on their roster to compliment their superstar sprinters; Kittel and Degenkolb. Given his form, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mezgec get a gig at one of this year's GT's in support of one of Kittel and Degenkolb.

Volta a Catalunya
Stage 6. El Vendrell - Vilanova I la Geltru
map-06.jpg

Tonight's stage is the flattest stage of the whole race, with only a cat 3 climb to worry the riders. Given his form, I'll be backing Luke Mezgec for tonight. Now that I've tipped him though, you just know he will lose :)

So no real excuses, I just got lazy and forgot to update this, sorry folks.

Stage 6 was won from a large breakaway by Dutch all rounder Stef Clement. Jens Voigt was also in the break and would have been the fan favourite to win, surely. He ended up coming in 4th.

Stage 7 was won from a great solo ride by Lieuwe Westra. He won the stage by a huge margin of 1'22". Let me tell you, the hill and Montjuic that the riders had to climb 8 times as part of the circuit is a dead set killer. I've walked up it and it was pretty tough. The rode up it 8 times :eek:

Overall, the race went to Joaquin Rodriguez, who was the best rider over the two mountain stages.

So with the Volta a Catalunya, I totally missed the E3 and Gent Wevelgem.

The E3 was won pretty easily by Peter Sagan, in a small group sprint against Stijn Vandenberg, Geriant Thomas and Nikki Terpstra.

Cant give you much on this, the only stream I could get to work was a Polish stream :confused: Anywa, John Degenkolb won in a photo finish from Arnaud Demare and Peter Sagan. There was a crash about 150m out, however I have no idea who was involved in it. It was odd though, it was pretty much on a straight, must've just been a touch of wheels.

So with the Volta a Catalunya, I totally missed the E3 and Gent Wevelgem.

The E3 was won pretty easily by Peter Sagan, in a small group sprint against Stijn Vandenberg, Geriant Thomas and Nikki Terpstra.

Cant give you much on this, the only stream I could get to work was a Polish stream :confused: Anywa, John Degenkolb won in a photo finish from Arnaud Demare and Peter Sagan. There was a crash about 150m out, however I have no idea who was involved in it. It was odd though, it was pretty much on a straight, must've just been a touch of wheels.

Andre Greipel was involved in the crash - collar bone damage, out for a month or so.

Also 2nd WWC race - Trofeo Alfredo Binda in Northern Italy. Won by Orica-AIS Emma Johansson (she's Swedish but we can claim her as Aussie team).

Bit of a break now till Flanders next weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tour of Flanders
Time for (IMO) the best one day race of the year. The Tour of Flanders is an epic one day race, full of short steep climbs and tough cobbled sections
Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 2.05.13 pm.png
16 climbs and 16 cobbled sections in 150km is epic.

Riders to watch: The usual suspects; defending champion Fabian Cancellara. Young gun Peter Sagan. The old warrior Tom Boonen. Let's not forget a whole host of Dutch and Belgian riders that love the cobbles.

My tip; Sylvain Chavanel. A definite outsider, but someone who will be looking to improve a so far poor year.

Went nuts last year when Fabian stomped clear over the peternberg! And hope to see him do it again, but this time with Boonen in tow.

live stream is available on the website now (for those in the west)

love those bergs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back