2015-16 Lower Leagues & Non-League thread

Remove this Banner Ad

FGR can't stop winning! 4 on the bounce and a third clean sheet, this time with a 1-0 triumph over Boreham Wood. 2 points clear at the top, end the season now! :D

On Tuesday we head to Plymouth, one of the longest trips in English football. Has to be truly stupid bit of planning to put this fixture on mid-week.

Apparently it's the longest journey in the Football League: 389 miles/626km, so a round trip of 778 miles/1252km! Which seems pretty ridiculous on a Tuesday night. 169 fans made the trip and Sky Bet have offered to cover the cost of tickets and travel for Carlisle supporters. Unfortunately, they saw their team lose 4-1!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33858304

Apparently it's the longest journey in the Football League: 389 miles/626km, so a round trip of 778 miles/1252km! Which seems pretty ridiculous on a Tuesday night. 169 fans made the trip and Sky Bet have offered to cover the cost of tickets and travel for Carlisle supporters. Unfortunately, they saw their team lose 4-1!

A 4-1 shlacking would have made their Tuesday night just peachy.
Plymouth Argyle's manager, Derek Adams, managed my Scottish team Ross County up until early last season. He managed them to the Scottish FA Cup final in 2010 and to Promotion to the Scottish Premier League in 2012, he is very good at getting good consistant performances from a small squad. These guys could be a bit a smokey for promotion this season.

Great commitment from them especially for a mid week game.

Adam Armstrong looking pretty good for Coventry so far NUFC Tiger 5 goals already.

Yeah! Has started the season on fire for them hasn't he Milang! Really exciting for us (some people in the know reckon he is the most exciting prospect to come through the ranks since a young Andy Carroll).

He's only 18 but its great to see him getting experience (and doing pretty well) at Coventry (think they are sitting pretty at the top?). Have a bit of a soft spot for them so hopefully Arma can keep firing them the goals to sustain their good start. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FGR conceded their first goal for the season :(

...but still ran out 3-1 winners over Lincoln City! :cool:

3-2 victory away at Hartlepool. A very good result for the Cumbrians.

Ibehre scored another two taking his tally to 7 goals in the first five games. We have a genuine target up front, if we can stop leaking goals at the back, we may have the side that could contend for promotion.

Another win for FGR over the weekend - 2-0 away to Kidderminster. Ain't no stopping these Rovers! :D

Another win for FGR over the weekend - 2-0 away to Kidderminster. Ain't no stopping these Rovers! :D

Damn FGR, buying out the league, all... zero pounds and zero pence of it. They're going to run away with the title!

After 6 games, FGR have a three point gap (and a 3 goal advantage) over the third best Welsh team. It should be noted that Wrexham did lose to lower table Bromley away. Grimsby's also been quite poor of the mark. Mind you, anything goes in the Conf-err, I mean National League. FGR have no choice but to keep on winning, that's the only way to do anything in the National League (No really, with only one guaranteed promotion spot.)

Damn FGR, buying out the league, all... zero pounds and zero pence of it. They're going to run away with the title!

After 6 games, FGR have a three point gap (and a 3 goal advantage) over the third best Welsh team. It should be noted that Wrexham did lose to lower table Bromley away. Grimsby's also been quite poor of the mark. Mind you, anything goes in the Conf-err, I mean National League. FGR have no choice but to keep on winning, that's the only way to do anything in the National League (No really, with only one guaranteed promotion spot.)

FGR ruining football...but helping save the environment at the same time. That makes us a bit of a anti hero club I guess. ;)

We have had a few lean periods in the last few seasons where we've not picked up points at crucial times. Think there was a 8 or 9 game run without a win last season...makes picking up points early on even more important!

FGR ruining football...but helping save the environment at the same time. That makes us a bit of a anti hero club I guess. ;)

We have had a few lean periods in the last few seasons where we've not picked up points at crucial times. Think there was a 8 or 9 game run without a win last season...makes picking up points early on even more important!

Pros: Being green for the environment
Cons: Forced to become vegan

I think the anti-hero part comes from the 'forced vegan' options. You can save the environment, but you must enjoy tofu! (Please note that this is for most UK supporters, and not for the actual vegans!)

Looking at past trends, it seems that the champions often make it to 100 points (of course, you only need to beat 2nd) and they usually do it by a convincing margin. It looks like late 80s-early 90s if you want to go up as Champions, though the magic 100 point barrier should be your goal. I think that also highlights the difference between the Championship and the 5th tier in terms of quality in the division. Then again, you've still got another 40 games left to get there, so do what you need to do!

Also, while looking back, I've noticed a rather interesting team, Kidderminster. Promotion contenders just a couple of years ago, missing out on Champions by losing to Mansfield (both in the title race and in the match that mattered) and going out in the semi-finals of the playoffs. Currently in relegation territory after a steady decline. Just a reminder of how cut-throat the 5th tier is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back