2015/16 Pre-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain to me ......how posters are posting their Crows team for 2016, not having watched a training session the whole pre season .......just explain how you do that?

There's been what, 3-4 open sessions where nothing of any consequence is shown .....then we have the Crows propoganda machine spinning the virtues of the 1-2 year players .......and magically everyone is debating their selected sides .......oh cmon :rolleyes:

People can't have a go at predicting a 22 based on previous seasons and whatever information is around. I know it's harder for you because you don't have the selectors to tell you who should be in the 22.

Can someone explain to me ......how posters are posting their Crows team for 2016, not having watched a training session the whole pre season .......just explain how you do that?

There's been what, 3-4 open sessions where nothing of any consequence is shown .....then we have the Crows propoganda machine spinning the virtues of the 1-2 year players .......and magically everyone is debating their selected sides .......oh cmon :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with creating a bit of discussion! We've obviously got more than enough info on established Crows player to pick a side, people could base their assessment on the new blokes based on previous form, structure.

It's when people make massive statements saying player x is absolutely flying is when it gets a bit silly for mine.

Whenever someone needs to resort to these kind of "people who disagree with me just lack my insight" pleas to back up their views, it's a good sign that they're full of s**t
I don't disagree with this, but I also think WW's point is a good one regarding people's tendency to polarise judgements of players into legend vs hack. Too often decent players get labelled spuds or list-cloggers or other similarly dismissive descriptors because it sounds more assertive or something. Sometimes players just aren't quite good enough. Doesn't mean they're rubbish.

I don't disagree with this, but I also think WW's point is a good one regarding people's tendency to polarise judgements of players into legend vs hack. Too often decent players get labelled spuds or list-cloggers or other similarly dismissive descriptors because it sounds more assertive or something. Sometimes players just aren't quite good enough. Doesn't mean they're rubbish.
If they aren't quite good enough you don't pick them and you certainly don't give them a four year contract.

put a fence down the middle, which side is Mackay on?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...s/news-story/ee9586c21c88d6cb455f6a6d0465543a

Code-hopping Adelaide Crow Hugh Greenwood prepares for NAB Challenge, six months after walking out on the Perth Wildcats

LATER this month, when the Perth Wildcats are in the middle of another playoff campaign, it’s likely Hugh Greenwood will also be in WA to prepare for a game of his own.

Of course, Greenwood won’t be on the hardwood at Perth Arena. He’s expected to be alongside his Adelaide Crows teammates at Sounness Park in Mount Barker for a NAB Challenge clash against Fremantle.

Nothing wrong with creating a bit of discussion! We've obviously got more than enough info on established Crows player to pick a side, people could base their assessment on the new blokes based on previous form, structure.

It's when people make massive statements saying player x is absolutely flying is when it gets a bit silly for mine.
:confused: how? ......given they were playing VFL which isn't telecast into SA? .......and i doubt people watching their previous teams paid too much attention, given no-one knew they'd be playing with the Crows 7 months later

:confused: how? ......given they were playing VFL which isn't telecast into SA? .......and i doubt people watching their previous teams paid too much attention, given no-one knew they'd be playing with the Crows 7 months later

There's enough exposed form of Menzel, Hampton and Seedsman for people to have at least some sort of opinion on them as a player.

I think if you're nerdy enough to have an online account on a footy forum, there's a good chance you've watched a lot of football outside of Crows games.

Gore, Milera, Doedee and the rookies clearly not a lot to make an assessment on from the masses, but how many in this thread have included them in their best 22 anyway?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doedee and Gore were the only two VFL players we picked up last year. Gore was somewhat known as plenty on here had seen him play or know him personally, hell even played against him. Doedee was unknown to almost, if not all of us.

Milera recruited from SANFL
Hampton GWS, former student in Adelaide
Menzel Carlton, former centrals player from Golden Grove
Seedsman, Collingwood FC, many had watched him at some stage, a few had followed his game more closely (due to Collingwood supporting mates, family etc)

So yeah, 2 new blokes have come from the VFL, 1 of which was aocal boy that many had seen play already, the rest we have reasonable background on.

I live in Victoria and watched the 7Mate coverage of the VFL at midday every weekend...prior to that on the ABC...always make a particular point of watching how the SA lads were going...

If they aren't quite good enough you don't pick them and you certainly don't give them a four year contract.
No argument there. You won't find me calling for Mackay to be in the team this year. It's the list managers that over-valued his ability to deliver that I'd be bagging though.
put a fence down the middle, which side is Mackay on?
You want me to say whether he's a legend or a hack? He's neither. He's a player with skill and speed who's rarely delivered on his promise, and who's never contributed consistently enough - either in games or across seasons - to merit the faith that has been shown in him. But he's had his moments, and some of them have been sublime. I'd rate him as above-average on ability and well below average on output. Does he deserve a spot in the team? Not in my opinion. Is he a worthless spud? Well, he's a better footballer than I'll ever be.

The point is not about whether you have an opinion on his worth to the team. It's about assessing his worth in more measured terms.

UTube Find out who the player you are interested in played for and type in the team name and year. gets some results
VFL teams and year will get you a few of there games
NEAFL shows some games from that comp. you see a few GWS and Sydney players. Watched a few Redlands games looking at 51,
OfficialAFLQ for the Brisbane and Gold Coast also AFLQ picks up a few games
All on Utube .

AFLVictoria Forgot to add you get to see the TAC cup games look up the Geelong Falcons.

Last edited:
I live in Victoria and watched the 7Mate coverage of the VFL at midday every weekend...prior to that on the ABC...always make a particular point of watching how the SA lads were going...
yes i knew you would have watched .....however majority hadn't

Well I think you can all wipe Riley Knight off your Round 1 team.

I hear he rolled his ankle quite badly recently during the players 3 days off from training. No it wasn't at Bounce. Although there is nothing sinister (a boat ramp I heard) the club is not happy however and it is expected he will miss the NAB cup matches.
I'm not sure if it is the same ankle he broke this time last year, but he would want to be careful with it. There is also a large number of players lining up to play the same role he does, so the timing is not great for him.

Might be the first bit of bad news from the pre-season. Sorry everyone.

I hear he rolled his ankle quite badly recently during the players 3 days off from training. No it wasn't at Bounce. Although there is nothing sinister (a boat ramp I heard) the club is not happy however and it is expected he will miss the NAB cup matches.
I'm not sure if it is the same ankle he broke this time last year, but he would want to be careful with it. There is also a large number of players lining up to play the same role he does, so the timing is not great for him.

Crows season over. Let's start getting prepped for 2017.

Wow that's a bloody shame.

I had him easily in our 22 R1.

Still, what we do know about Riley is that he's exceptionally dedicated and professional on rehab, so hopefully he will be back at it soon.

Nothing on the Crows site so I hope your info isn't accurate. Thought we would have heard something about it unless it was done in the last few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back