2015/16 Premier League Fixtures

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course you'd post something positive after my comment :D

Not sure how saying that Liverpool's start wasn't too bad isn't 'positive' either? Or my comments where I rated Everton more than Sozarbrus?

Meh, would rather get those sorts of games done early.
For a club like Hull, yeah.

We want to pick up momentum early in the season and stay in touch with the top if we are to finish top 4 or even make an very unlikely title challenge.

Me looking at the opening 10 games for Everton

2hDO9Dq.gif

Feck me, won't be an easy start for McClaren...

First 8. If we start slow, we could realistically be occupying a relegation spot after 2 months of fixtures. :confused:
  • Newcastle United v Southampton
  • Swansea City v Newcastle United
  • Manchester United v Newcastle United
  • Newcastle United v Arsenal
  • West Ham United v Newcastle United
  • Newcastle United v Watford
  • Newcastle United v Chelsea
  • Manchester City v Newcastle United

it's definitely more preferable to get a harder run somewhere in the middle. you don't want to be struggling to get going early on, and you dont want to be playing hard games near the end of the season if you're fighting for something.

Also preferable to avoid a tough run of games over the busy Christmas/New Year period.

Actually, no tough games at all would be great.

It's not really too bad outside of the final 3 games. So yes, you're probably right.

I would hope we are safe by then anyway but time will tell. I think we definitely have a bit of a Hull feel about us this season.

Bah, if we actually learnt something from last season, we should be safe by April as we play more consistent football, getting wins over the season, not one CL run of form at the end (though I wouldn't mind). Our big problem was dropping points against winnable teams early on, which gave us a lot of work to do.

The way I see it, with those run of games, I want to start fast and get a good base, and increase confidence (That really hurt us). If the club is serious about wanting to finish in the top 10, then the very notion of 'safety' should not even be mentioned. This means we need to get that fast start in preparation of... hoo boy, that December period:

United (H), Swansea(A), Chelsea(H), Everton(A), Liverpool(A), Man City(H). That's going to be a lot of fun. If we can get more than three points from that lot, that would be a bonus.

After that, collect points on a consistent basis and pass 40 at the earliest available opportunity.

Of course, all assumptions above is if we at least get Huth and Cambiasso in our squad. I'm sure Nigel will give us further options and improvements required to accomplish this goal. I think we have it in us to do so (10th), but at the same time, that midtable is very strong (Southampton, Stoke, Everton, West Ham, Swansea... they all look like they can give a serious scare to Liverpool and Tottenham.) I would be chuffed if we can become a respectable midtable side, away from the relegation battle and looking to build the base of something potentially great.

For a club like Hull, yeah.

We want to pick up momentum early in the season and stay in touch with the top if we are to finish top 4 or even make an very unlikely title challenge.

Why does it matter? Means you get a run of easy away games later. And no need to throw in the 'for a club like Hull' spiel.

If anything 'for a club like Hull' the fixture is more important as there are theoretically no easy games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feck me, won't be an easy start for McClaren...

First 8. If we start slow, we could realistically be occupying a relegation spot after 2 months of fixtures. :confused:
  • Newcastle United v Southampton
  • Swansea City v Newcastle United
  • Manchester United v Newcastle United
  • Newcastle United v Arsenal
  • West Ham United v Newcastle United
  • Newcastle United v Watford
  • Newcastle United v Chelsea
  • Manchester City v Newcastle United
Oh you'll beat us. Don't even worry about that game.

Looking at Bournemouth's fixtures, they could start off pretty decently.
No offence intended, but the fixture doesnt matter. In this league, if you get on a roll, you can really do some damage and beat these good teams.

The 2 instances that came to mind
2008-09 Hull City. YOu beat Arsenal away, you beat Tottenham away, you beat Newcastle away (probs not that great, but at that point of the season it looked great) you pushed Man Utd in a 4-3 classic. You came straight up and took 10 points from teams I deem to be in the 8 clubs who should be fighting for EUrope every year in a 4 week period. And 2 weeks after that Man Utd loss you took another point off Man City! (Though, back then they werent that great right?.................And yes, I know Newcastle got relegated that season)

2013-14 Sunderland. Ok, the other end. ENd of the season, Draw @ City, Win @ Chelsea, Win @ Man Utd. The great escape.

My point is any team can beat any team in this league (Well, except Arsenal beating a Mourinho Chelsea side).

Are you of these people that thinks the draw doesnt matter just because you have to play everyone once home and away??
How does it matter? Im yet to hear a good argument as to why having a tough month is bad. YOu just then get an easy 4 months after that.

Other than checking if theres any games I can get to, the only thing I care about in the fixture I cant see yet. The ONLY thing that I think will make it harder is if you go deep into your other cups. How will Leicester cope with the fixture congestion when they make an FA Cup run? How will the extra competitive games hit West Ham from all the extra Europa League games go (assuming they get further than Hull did last year. - That was not a shot at you SM )

Fixture congestion is the one thing I think is a main factor.

I used to be of the opinion that your fixture matters, but in recent years with FC United I notice, you can beat the good teams in successive weeks for a month and get out of it unscathed (we did it 2013-14) but if you go deep in cups (like 14-15 with FA Trophy) or have lots and lots of games postponed due to other stuff (like FC United 13-14, 14-15 with waterlogged pitches) it catches up more on the team than just tough games.

I for one would rather have the big 5 in the first 5 weeks of the season than have 9 games in 5 weeks at the end when theyre must win.

How does it matter? Im yet to hear a good argument as to why having a tough month is bad. YOu just then get an easy 4 months after that.
Of course it matters when you play what teams and if you play the top teams bunched up or spread out or at home or away. The fixture is huge.

For instance what if the first month or first four games Liverpool played were H - United, A - Arsenal, H - Chelsea, A - City. That's a horror first month right but as you said, that just means you get an easy month later. So maybe our next four games are H- Bournemouth, A - Sunderland, H - West Brom, A - Norwich.

Sure the second lot is easier but it's important in what order we play them.

If we play them in that order and lose all four of our opening games, we are playing catch up allllll season long. Not only do we start from a long way back, our confidence is really low so we go into games against Bournemouth, Sunderland, West Brom and Norwich with the confidence down and the pressure ramped right up.

We have lost our opening 4 games, sure against tough teams but we still have 0 points. Now the home match against Bournemouth holds far more weigh. We REALLY need three points now. Nervous, confidence down. Maybe we go a goal down from set piece. Maybe we lose 1-0. Now we're away from home against Sunderland. Backs to the wall, Rodgers job on the line etc etc the domino effect.

Now reverse those two months. Home game to kick off the season against Bournemouth. We play well and run out 3-0 winners, confidence is up and our new signings whoever they are have bedded in well and we beat Sunderland, West Brom and Norwich. We're flying, top of the league, plenty of goals scored. 4 from 4, 12 points.

Now we are at Anfield, in a bullish mood against Man United. Are tails are up, confidence is sky high and we win that game. Then we get an excellent draw on the road against Arsenal, then we get another draw in a tough match against Chelsea at home before finally losing our first game against City away. But because we were in good form and had plenty of confidence heading into those four games we managed to get 5 points from 12 instead of the 0 from 12 we got in the first scenario.

Of course all this is hypothetical but as you can see, it is incredibly important to when and who we play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back