Training 2015/16 preseason training (discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

50% do have to make it but will they just be c grade or will they be b or even a grade? Bar A Pearce they ones who make it may barely be serviceable.
I have much higher hopes for what the group of talls will become in a year or two than C graders. I certainly think Hurley and Collins look like terrific prospects. Add that it seems likely McCarthy will be playing in purple and I think we are travelling significantly better than most others think. For mine Hurley is the key.

I have much higher hopes for what the group of talls will become in a year or two than C graders. I certainly think Hurley and Collins look like terrific prospects. Add that it seems likely McCarthy will be playing in purple and I think we are travelling significantly better than most others think. For mine Hurley is the key.

I hope you're correct. McCarthy is a posibility but we know how hard it is to deal with GWS. Fingers crossed

Do you know what injury Hurley sustained?

He hasn't been playing key defender at all. More of a pocket/flank
He has trained with the talls when they break up in groups for training. He has also definitely played on the talls at times (not all the time) in the training I've seen including Friday. Considering last year he was 185cm according to his initial listing before the draft and is now 189cm and still growing. I definitely think he seems like a player cable of playing on talls with another centimetre or two. When I watched his draft highlights he was consistisently matched up on taller players. In his draft package he was described as a key defender. Im not saying he will play key defender at afl level, but that is the position he could rotate through in a pinch if he is good enough to make the team.

Last edited:
I was also at training today. I saw things slightly different to JMT. But I was at the other end of the ground for the first 4/8ths if that makes sense.
Tanner Smith looked terrific to me playing purely as a forward. Yes he definitely butchered some kicks. But his marking was excellent and he brought the footy to the ground really well. I think Peel may have found their spearhead for 2016. Considering how a lot of training watches, including me, had completely written him off that is actually progress.
Blakely though was the story of the day. He trained brilliantly. Not all his kicks were spot on, but his work in clearances was outstanding. He also ran well to receive the football. Something is going to change in our best 22 this year. I can't see Blakely not getting significant game time even when everyone is available.
Zac Clarke trained well today after a slow start. His marking was very much one grab IMO.
Mora again looked fantastic after butchering his first two kicks. His kicking after that was brilliant. He can definitely play on talls.
Silvagni was excellent matched up on Pav today with his intercept marking a major feature.
Uebergang looked super quick on the lead today. He kicked at least 3 goals. His recovery to kick a goal after a high marking contest was superb. For a pretty big fella his kicking is outstanding. Really, really, really promising is the words I would describe what I have seen of Ueber.
Collins took some terrific intercept marks.
Ibbo spent time playing forward today for what it is worth.
Fyfe looked awesome at times with a couple of tackle breaking runs that makes you go oooooh. He left the field slightly early, but there did not seem to be a problem. He didn't line up as a forward at all in match sims for what it is worth.
Suban again trained well. HIs kicking in open play is low and flat. Like many, his kicks are up and under in pack situations.
Dawson continues to kick rather than handless in match sim play. His one on one work is outstanding. His kicking pretty good too.
De Luca seems to be playing a tagging role and doing a good job at it too.
Mayne had less involvement than previous sessions. Yarran struggled significantly to keep up the pace IMO. He might take longer to debut that some here have predicted.
De Boer trained really well too. His short kicking is excellent.
Barlow training purely as a mid did some terrific centre clearance work too.
Tucker had some ripping kicks today. He kicked a wonderful goal.
Walters was also back to his best with some wonderful play.
Hughes showed great mobility and laid some wonderful tackles.
Mundy looks in ripping condition. Ditto Sandy.
Missing from the session completely today were Griffin and Langdon. The recovery group is now Balic, Apeness, Bennell, A. Pearce and Hurley.

TTHD: Blakely by a fair margin.
The session today started slowly, but the second half of the match sims was outstanding. For what it is worth at the end of the session there was a massive cheer when the players and coaches grouped up in the middle. I asked one of the trainer's what the cheer was for and he said it was for an excellent session.

Awesome training today considering the heat.
Who was playing on Uber?

He hasn't been playing key defender at all. More of a pocket/flank
It does depend on your definition of key defender. My definition is someone playing on a tall forward as they rotate so much that it is rare for the traditional one on one match up for a game. Mora has played on smalls, but also Griifin, Pav, Hurley and Tabs in the sessions I've seen in the last three weeks when in full match sims.
Who was playing on Uber?
In all seiosness that rotate players a ton more in match sims than in a normal game. One of the reasons why there seems to be so much conjecture on here as to the roles players are playing in match sims is that they change roles at warp speed. Astronomically difficult to keep up. Particularly forward set up change a lot.

Last edited:
Where do people see Crozier at the moment? I can't find a place for him in the top 25 most likely. He will need to be selected for something like 15 games this season or face being moved on. So far his preseason has been less than inspiring. Maybe others have seen it differently. NAB team selections will be a guide as to where the hierarchy view him.

Where do people see Crozier at the moment? I can't find a place for him in the top 25 most likely. He will need to be selected for something like 15 games this season or face being moved on. So far his preseason has been less than inspiring. Maybe others have seen it differently. NAB team selections will be a guide as to where the hierarchy view him.
They resigned him for 2 years just before the last draft. Anyway your reliable source :)could add some inside info as to where RTB sees him being played this year.

He's just got the potential to be a classy half forward, hopefully he will be one player who might benefit from more hawthornesque ball movement. But he is getting to the stage of his career where he should be showing some consistency and ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys this isn't a list management/KPP/opposition draft strategy/miscellaneous thread. DockerLand1 and co please confine these topics to relevant threads, and if you can't find one I'll create them.

Would a general Freo talk megathread and general KPP discussion thread be wanted? I feel they'd be well patronised particularly the former.

Guys this isn't a list management/KPP/opposition draft strategy/miscellaneous thread. DockerLand1 and co please confine these topics to relevant threads, and if you can't find one I'll create them.

Would a general Freo talk megathread and general KPP discussion thread be wanted? I feel they'd be well patronised particularly the former.
Sounds like a plan

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Have a go at selecting a side for round one with players you think will be available.
I will take mine to training Monday Morning see you all then.
Sandi7

Have a go at selecting a side for round one with players you think will be available.
Sandi7

Please refer to the thread linked in the post directly above yours re: your proposed activity. It doesn't quite belong in the Injury/Best 22/training reports threads so is ideal for there.

Sandi7[/QUOTE]
Sandi7
Do you have to get a note from your mum if you don't come along with your selected team to the Old Dude's hangout at training in the morning?;);):D:D

Mate, I have to agree with everything you say there. Myself and mightydockers attended together for our first session of the year and we were slightly worried by the skills of the players. A few things we noticed:

Stephen Hill: starting off the HBF in match sims and we heard a lot of the players saying "get it to hilly" as they moved the ball - we think it's a clear strategy to try get the ball in the hands of our best users.
Mora: Looks lovely playing on mayney in match sim. He will be a great addition to our backline as he can play on nearly every size and he has a big kick to take the ball out of the defensive half.
Fyfey: still working into it but he looks a million bucks.
Pav: very clean and helping vocal with the structures
Clarke: trained the house down but he does this every year - im not buying it.

Other positives: Collins voice and efforts, sonny everything, wellers foot skills, mundy is just a rolls royce

Concerns: yarran very scratchy but that's expected, balla and clancee getting in a bit of a push and shove, no harley :(, goal kicking was scary bad

Realities: De Boer, Suban and Danyle Pearce are a disgrace. It annoys me like nothing else that they get games. They stuff up the ball movement every time with their fumbles, skills and their poor footballing abilities. They must be depth players as we have to give blakely weller langdon ect games ahead of these squibs
Daniel Pearce gets the ball inside 50 more than any other player in the AFL.

TOT
AVG
1 Danyle Pearce FRE 122 5.3
2 Jack Steven STK 120 5.5
3 Patrick Dangerfield ADEL 114 5
4 Dan Hannebery SYD 112 4.7
5 Isaac Smith HAW 108 4.3
5 Andrew Gaff WCE 108 4.3
7 Josh P. Kennedy SYD 107 4.5
8 Jordan Lewis HAW 104 4.5
8 Luke Shuey WCE 104 4.2
8 Stephen Hill FRE 104 4.5

Daniel Pearce gets the ball inside 50 more than any other player in the AFL.

TOT
AVG
1 Danyle Pearce FRE 122 5.3
2 Jack Steven STK 120 5.5
3 Patrick Dangerfield ADEL 114 5
4 Dan Hannebery SYD 112 4.7
5 Isaac Smith HAW 108 4.3
5 Andrew Gaff WCE 108 4.3
7 Josh P. Kennedy SYD 107 4.5
8 Jordan Lewis HAW 104 4.5
8 Luke Shuey WCE 104 4.2
8 Stephen Hill FRE 104 4.5

pearce has always been a big inside 50 king... he was close to #1 back when he was at port too right?

Is that the average beside the total?
Yes it is. He was Number 1 in 2014 as well:

1 Danyle Pearce FRE 127 5.3
2 Lewis Jetta SYD 117 4.7
3 Travis Boak PORT 116 4.8
4 Jaeger O'Meara GCFC 107 4.9
5 Stephen Hill FRE 105 5.2

I keep cutting it off at Hilly - just because he's a freakin' jet.

Interestingly Ross acknowledges that we bombed the ball in blindly in the back half of last year. I remember Danyle had an awesome start to the year but then trailed off:

"We stopped spreading the ball, so we just bombed it in to get forward entries and that made us easier to defend. That put some pressure on us," he said.

"Hopefully (the revised summer program) has helped us to improve our skill and decision making under pressure."
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-02-07/harley-bennell-embracing-freo-culture-lyon

pearce has always been a big inside 50 king... he was close to #1 back when he was at port too right?
He was 12th in 09 , and 10th in 2010. Was moved to half back for his last couple of years.

Some great reports here of training guys. Especially excited to hear Mora going well. 189 cm, 98 k, Pick 4s don't grow on trees. Would be great to have him back. I'm really glad the club has supported him through his (many) injuries. Would have been very easy just to cut him loose as being in the 'too-hard basket' (hello Josh Simpson).

Also, pumped The Pav has returned to push the sun back into the sky for one more year.

Blakely and Weller being impressive doesn't surprise me. I think Connor Blakely is a 200 game player waiting to happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back