2015/16 SkyBet Championship

Remove this Banner Ad

One of 'them EPL fans' pointed out the correction.

Oh please. You've been back in the top flight a year.

The ten years before that ensure you're not an EPL mark.

Very odd type of what I would call 'lower class' snobbery ...

Aussie EPL fans are some of the biggest football mongs I've come across.

I've had too many conversations with them over the last 20+ years to think any other way when it comes to those EPL fountains of (no) knowledge.

Are you suggesting we aren't a Premier League club? :confused:

I'm suggesting you aren't of the same ilk as the plastic EPL fans that abound these shores. Your long tenure in the Championship means you've not been exposed to the same boring crap that is the EPL year after year.

Are you suggesting we aren't a Premier League club? :confused:
Think he's implying that we've been more out of the top tier than in it, hence not one of the established clubs.

I'm suggesting you aren't of the same ilk as the plastic EPL fans that abound these shores. Your long tenure in the Championship means you've not been exposed to the same boring crap that is the EPL year after year.

Out of curiosity, how do Southampton and Swansea sit with you? Has Southampton washed away some of that 'plastic' with their 7 years out? Is Swansea starting to erode away? They've seemed to keep up with the same style that got them up in the first place.

I know Brighton haven't been top tier since the early 80s, and you had a couple of near misses in the playoffs recently, but what would your honest reaction be if you got promoted in one of those years?

Out of curiosity, how do Southampton and Swansea sit with you? Has Southampton washed away some of that 'plastic' with their 7 years out? Is Swansea starting to erode away? They've seemed to keep up with the same style that got them up in the first place.

I take interest with them when they are in the Championship or lower.

I stopped following the EPL long ago when it became obvious what a boring closed shop it had become. I started to hate it when it as obvious the top few clubs would do anything increase their levels of greed and do anything they could to * over the lower leagues.

I know Brighton haven't been top tier since the early 80s, and you had a couple of near misses in the playoffs recently, but what would your honest reaction be if you got promoted in one of those years?

If we got promoted i'd dread the next season.

We don't have some billionaire foreign owner so we'd get smashed every week and go straight back down. I'd simply hope we'd spend very little money and leave the EPL in a healthy financial position.

I doubt we'll be anywhere near the play-offs anyway. The amount of money being spent in the Championship is ridiculous. We can't compete with that kind of money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Derby seem close to getting Shackell back from Burnley,already had 2 mil bid knocked back.
Albentosa has been loaned to Malaga so it seems a certainty

seth

We just signed a Real Madrid player.

Thankfully soccer is one sport where chicken legs can still succeed.

At least our strategy is clear. Buy youuth rather than over priced senior players.

We also just signed the Finnish Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

I take interest with them when they are in the Championship or lower.

I stopped following the EPL long ago when it became obvious what a boring closed shop it had become. I started to hate it when it as obvious the top few clubs would do anything increase their levels of greed and do anything they could to **** over the lower leagues.

If we got promoted i'd dread the next season.

We don't have some billionaire foreign owner so we'd get smashed every week and go straight back down. I'd simply hope we'd spend very little money and leave the EPL in a healthy financial position.

I doubt we'll be anywhere near the play-offs anyway. The amount of money being spent in the Championship is ridiculous. We can't compete with that kind of money.

I suppose that's fair enough. Heck, Mr Bloom is actually one of the 'poorer' owners of the Championship, yet he was not only able to save the club using his own money, but actually turn them into a miniforce for a while. Who knows, anything goes in the Championship if your tactics and style are any good.

You know, that's what I used to think as well, but after following the Premier League closely for this season, my opinion has started to change. The Top 4 seem a little more solid for this season, but clubs like Liverpool and Tottenham just seem very reachable. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of the 'midtable' teams could actually finish ahead of both of them. I see the Tottenham and Liverpool fixtures, and I'm in the mindset that we could totally gun for the win. Heck, if the Premier League consisted of the last 9 games of last season only, we'd actually be on top. I think the problem with many of the 'lower' teams is just a matter of consistency. I mean, if we had a bit more luck (and less silly moments), we'd finish higher. But alas, that's football for you.

As an observer, the only time I felt we were truly outclassed was that 2nd half against Chelsea at home. That was the best big of football I saw from an opposition team last season.

That's one thing I like about the Premier League over a league like La Liga, every team will give it everything against every other team. You're not going to have relegation team give up against Real to focus more on matches against similar sides. Burnley will give it everything its has against Man City, and well, look how they did against them.

The money does help, but it's also the system you have in place. Just look at Southampton, paying chicken feed for players, and selling them at a premium. It's good to see that money isn't always everything. After all, you could be like Liverpool and Tottenham, and just waste it.

But hey, you don't need me to tell you about the PL, and unless you get there, I don't think you'll ever wrap your head around it. I'm just saying that the shop feels more open than it has in previous years, but it is up to the next tier to make that step up, and with an increased deal, who knows?

The Championship is an awesome league in its own right. The only problem some feel about it is that there is a similar gap appearing between the Championship and League 1, because of, well, the amount of money going around it as the leftover amounts trickle down. Smaller teams like Yeovil, Doncaster, and I suppose Rotherham and what have you defiantly felt the hit once they made it up. Do you think it's going to be a lot harder for League 1 teams (of smaller size that is, not your Wolvehamptons and what have you) to stay in the Championship?

I suppose that's fair enough. Heck, Mr Bloom is actually one of the 'poorer' owners of the Championship, yet he was not only able to save the club using his own money, but actually turn them into a miniforce for a while. Who knows, anything goes in the Championship if your tactics and style are any good.

You know, that's what I used to think as well, but after following the Premier League closely for this season, my opinion has started to change. The Top 4 seem a little more solid for this season, but clubs like Liverpool and Tottenham just seem very reachable. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of the 'midtable' teams could actually finish ahead of both of them. I see the Tottenham and Liverpool fixtures, and I'm in the mindset that we could totally gun for the win. Heck, if the Premier League consisted of the last 9 games of last season only, we'd actually be on top. I think the problem with many of the 'lower' teams is just a matter of consistency. I mean, if we had a bit more luck (and less silly moments), we'd finish higher. But alas, that's football for you.

As an observer, the only time I felt we were truly outclassed was that 2nd half against Chelsea at home. That was the best big of football I saw from an opposition team last season.

That's one thing I like about the Premier League over a league like La Liga, every team will give it everything against every other team. You're not going to have relegation team give up against Real to focus more on matches against similar sides. Burnley will give it everything its has against Man City, and well, look how they did against them.

The money does help, but it's also the system you have in place. Just look at Southampton, paying chicken feed for players, and selling them at a premium. It's good to see that money isn't always everything. After all, you could be like Liverpool and Tottenham, and just waste it.

But hey, you don't need me to tell you about the PL, and unless you get there, I don't think you'll ever wrap your head around it. I'm just saying that the shop feels more open than it has in previous years, but it is up to the next tier to make that step up, and with an increased deal, who knows?

The Championship is an awesome league in its own right. The only problem some feel about it is that there is a similar gap appearing between the Championship and League 1, because of, well, the amount of money going around it as the leftover amounts trickle down. Smaller teams like Yeovil, Doncaster, and I suppose Rotherham and what have you defiantly felt the hit once they made it up. Do you think it's going to be a lot harder for League 1 teams (of smaller size that is, not your Wolvehamptons and what have you) to stay in the Championship?

Good assessment.

In answer to your last question everything is geared to favour the rich clubs now.

The FFP is a joke.

The Elite Player Performance Plan was nothing more than blackmail that gave the big powerful clubs carte blanche to be able to go and pillage the talent from any catchment zone they liked and rape the smaller clubs academies of talent for an utter pittance.

The parachute payments are also a farce. That will end up creating the next gap of the haves and have nots once clubs work out how to best utilize the system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back