Day 1:
Day 2: 10,047
Day 3: 9,263
Day 4: 4,243
Day 5: 3,142

Total: 40,287 (average: 8,057)
Greater Perth Population (2014 ABS): 2.02 million
% of population in attendance: 1.99%

If you ignore the extreme weather, the Perth crowd was worse than the maligned Brisbane crowd. The population of Greater Perth and Brisbane is similar, though Brisbane has another ~ 45% in surrounding regions (Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast) which Perth doesn't have.

Australia V New Zealand 2nd Test @ WACA

Day 1:

If you ignore the extreme weather, the Perth crowd was worse than the maligned Brisbane crowd. The population of Greater Perth and Brisbane is similar, though Brisbane has another ~ 45% in surrounding regions (Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast) which Perth doesn't have.

Bullshit Perth's population is 2 million

Surprised Friday got more than Saturday and Sunday. Worrying sign for casual interest as I'm guessing most of the Friday crowd were 'diehard' fans who took the day off work.

Why are people more interested in Day 1 of Test matches in Australia? Surely 4 and 5 would logically be the most popular because it's when the result happens?
Because you know it'll still be going on Day 1.

Day 2 and 3 would've been far better had it a) not been hot as fuark and b) a non flat wicket was produced.

Australia V New Zealand 2nd Test @ WACA

Day 1:

I don't think your percentage of population in attendance takes into account that spectators can visit on multiple days or they can live outside Perth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are people more interested in Day 1 of Test matches in Australia? Surely 4 and 5 would logically be the most popular because it's when the result happens?
Day 1 has Boxing Day though ;)

Generally yes days 2-4 more often have the best of both sides playing. Day 5 is just too risky of not happening to lock in taking a day off work

I don't think your percentage of population in attendance takes into account that spectators can visit on multiple days or they can live outside Perth.
It doesn't have to. It is just enables to compare the size of the crowds from test to test. What it will show is that while the crowd might be small for the Hobart test, it will out perform the Brisbane and Perth tests when using this ratio

Of course you're right. But the goal posts are consistent with every city - and considering it's only a very rough guide and there's no way of determining who went on X day it doesn't really matter. It's no scientific endeavour.

I do not understand how the crowd reached 47k. The cricket capacity is about 52k and a crowd of 47k would indicate it was basically full. However, the top tier of the Eastern Stand was almost completely empty; it wasn't just sparsely populated like in other sections of the ground. I am surprised the crowd even reached 40k.

I do not understand how the crowd reached 47k. The cricket capacity is about 52k and a crowd of 47k would indicate it was basically full. However, the top tier of the Eastern Stand was almost completely empty; it wasn't just sparsely populated like in other sections of the ground. I am surprised the crowd even reached 40k.
People were coming and going throughout the day . Also remember that their are more members than members seats. And if you add in the members guest passes.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

People were coming and going throughout the day . Also remember that their are more members than members seats. And if you add in the members guest passes.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk
I understand that, but the entire tier was basically empty. If it was sparsely populated it would indicate people coming and going and that tickets were sold in that section. But it was always basically empty meaning very few people were there in a section of ~8k seats during the day. The India-Pakistan World Cup crowd was 42k and there were not 'empty' sections like yesterday. It doesn't make sense. Minor issue regardless :)

I understand that, but the entire tier was basically empty. If it was sparsely populated it would indicate people coming and going and that tickets were sold in that section. But it was always basically empty meaning very few people were there in a section of ~8k seats during the day. The India-Pakistan World Cup crowd was 42k and there were not 'empty' sections like yesterday. It doesn't make sense. Minor issue regardless :)

The India-Pakistan game didn't have SACA members out the back with all their friends on guest passes. I don't think the eastern stand was sold out at all just that the members behind the western stand coming and going through out the day compensated. If the eastern stand was sold we may have seen a 60k number or something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back