2015 & 2016 Free Agency Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It's interesting that you say he's a genuine class act. I watched that WAFL grand final and was in love with the idea of getting him to West Coast. Absolute stand out performance by a 16 year old in a big game. However watching him at GWS, although he's managed to accumulate well, his production has been lacking. He doesn't seem to take the game on and is an absolute butcher with the ball. Unless he steps up this year, I'd be pretty disappointed if we gave much away for him. He's a bit too Masten-esque at this stage in his career.

Thought the exact same thing since watching him at GWS. I certainly wouldn't be describing his performances for the giants as "a genuine class act".

Would it be worth perusing rance ? He is a west coast supporter and an upgrade on brown and schofield .
Then use brown or schofield as trade bait !
It would also piss off freo .

That would be the best option for this years trade / FA period.

Pick up Rance for no cost and package Brown / Schofield with our first or second rounder to trade in another quality mid.

Although Coniglio was taken at pick 2, that was such a compromised draft with so many taken pre draft and mini-draft. He was in reality taken about 20th in line making him an early second round pick and has probably lived up to an average pick early second round pick.

Offering a second round seems reasonable but when have the Giants seen objective value? They will stand firm on a deal and look like Essendon at the trade table. When it comes to trading and delays, it could mean we would waste another year of trades if we go for Coniglio

Although Coniglio was taken at pick 2, that was such a compromised draft with so many taken pre draft and mini-draft. He was in reality taken about 20th in line making him an early second round pick and has probably lived up to an average pick early second round pick.

Offering a second round seems reasonable but when have the Giants seen objective value? They will stand firm on a deal and look like Essendon at the trade table. When it comes to trading and delays, it could mean we would waste another year of trades if we go for Coniglio

Mini draft had no bearing on that years draft. They were all taken a year before they could be drafted.

Who was taken pre-draft that would have made Coniglio 20th in line?

Mini draft had no bearing on that years draft. They were all taken a year before they could be drafted.

Who was taken pre-draft that would have made Coniglio 20th in line?

There were a dozen or so players taken as pre-selections prior to the 2011 draft meaning they were off the table. They included Jeremy Cameron, Dylan Shiel, Adam Treloar, Jacob Townsend, Thomas Bugg, Tim Golds, Nathan Wilson, and cannot recall all the others. Good point on the mini draft - they were all under age meaning that O'Meara and Crouch were really in the 2012 draft cohort. That meant I have him later that perhaps an normal draft year would of had him. IN addition to that, Wingard was tipped to go earlier but his blunt statement that he would take the first chance to go home had him slide.

So whether it was 15th or 20th, the compromised draft years meant that Coniglio was good but was not in the top half dozen picks in a normal year.

There were a dozen or so players taken as pre-selections prior to the 2011 draft meaning they were off the table. They included Jeremy Cameron, Dylan Shiel, Adam Treloar, Jacob Townsend, Thomas Bugg, Tim Golds, Nathan Wilson, and cannot recall all the others. Good point on the mini draft - they were all under age meaning that O'Meara and Crouch were really in the 2012 draft cohort. That meant I have him later that perhaps an normal draft year would of had him. IN addition to that, Wingard was tipped to go earlier but his blunt statement that he would take the first chance to go home had him slide.

So whether it was 15th or 20th, the compromised draft years meant that Coniglio was good but was not in the top half dozen picks in a normal year.

You've not thrown up nearly enough names to give your argument any substance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's 2 players, hardly pushing him down to 15/20

OK here is the list:

Tomas Bugg, Jeremy Cameron, Sam Darley, Tim Golds, Josh Growden, Jack Hombsch, Dylan Shiel, Adam Treloar, Gerald Ugle, Nathan Wilson, Kurt Aylett, Josh Bruce, Shaun Edwards, Curtly Hampton, Anthony Miles, Sam Schulz, Tim Segrave, Jacob Townsend and Mark Whiley.

I made a mistake on the mini draft as these 2 were under-age.

OK here is the list:

Tomas Bugg, Jeremy Cameron, Sam Darley, Tim Golds, Josh Growden, Jack Hombsch, Dylan Shiel, Adam Treloar, Gerald Ugle, Nathan Wilson, Kurt Aylett, Josh Bruce, Shaun Edwards, Curtly Hampton, Anthony Miles, Sam Schulz, Tim Segrave, Jacob Townsend and Mark Whiley.

That's like three players on that list that would have maybe gone higher than him.

OK here is the list:

Non of those players had better pre draft credentials than coniglio . Coniglio had a great underage carnival and then won the lark medal for best player in u18 carnival the next year .
Coniglii then had a 30 possession 4 goal game in the wafl SENIORS grand final at 17 just before the draft .
Im surprised he didn't go number 1 in the draft .

From memory Coniglio was 16 when SD won the flag , had a quieter year the following year in the WAFL .

I would imagine Coniglio will re-sign at GWS but I would be rapt if he ended up at West Coast .

That's like three players on that list that would have maybe gone higher than him.

Simple question then - why didn't GWS take him earlier as a pre-selection? At the time, they must must have deemed others better than him. Regardless of who you value higher now compared to then, GWS chose to overlook him when they could have locked him down as pre-selection top talent.

Back to the topic, my feeling is that not right to give up a 1st draft pick round for him. Given our injury list and expected development, I expect us to have our first round pick somewhere similar to last draft (plus of minus 2). Unless he has a step out year, I do not see him as a top 10 pick that has lived up to his potential hence would not pay overs.

Simple question then - why didn't GWS take him earlier as a pre-selection? At the time, they must must have deemed others better than him. Regardless of who you value higher now compared to then, GWS chose to overlook him when they could have locked him down as pre-selection top talent.

Back to the topic, my feeling is that not right to give up a 1st draft pick round for him. Given our injury list and expected development, I expect us to have our first round pick somewhere similar to last draft (plus of minus 2). Unless he has a step out year, I do not see him as a top 10 pick that has lived up to his potential hence would not pay overs.

Maybe GWS weren't allowed.

GWS were only allowed to take players in a certain 6 month age bracket . The player had to also agree .
Coniglio wasn't one of them .
The swallow situation was that GC new they had the top 3 picks and swallow was already the standout so they said we are going to pick you next year so you may as well come over and train and get a head start .
Even with the uncompromised draft coniglio would have been top 3

Interesting debate on Conigilo .

From memory all three of Cameron , Shields and Golds were rated very highly by both GWS and the general recruiting fraternity .
Patton and Wingard were rated higher than Conigilo pre draft.

But really that all matters naught the more pertainent question is what is he worth now ?

Probably some where between our first and second round pick .

Thus far Conigilio hasn't shown anything to justify his early selection at # 2.

He hasn't hit the score board often , in his 44 games he has only kicked 13 goals.
He doesn't have blistering pace either so is he really a must get ?

Would be interested to hear what pantskyle and Yamumluvsbigcox think he is worth.?!!?

From memory all three of Cameron , Shields and Golds were rated very highly by both GWS and the general recruiting fraternity .

But really that all matters naught the more pertainent question is what is he worth now ?

He hasn't hit the score board often , in his 44 games he has only kicked 13 goals.

Would be interested to hear what pantskyle and Yamumluvsbigcox think he is worth.?!!?
pantskyle and Yamumluvsbigcox

It would cost us our first rounder I think, I think he would be worth 15-25.

Thanks pk for your reply.0

I think your assesment is about on the mark.

I would be delighted to think that we had pick 15 +. However I think we are more likely to have a single digit pick again this year.

Lets hope that by seasons end Duggans development makes the trading in of Conigilo superfluous to needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back