Opinion 2015 Adjustments / Improvements / Development

Remove this Banner Ad

Think sheridan will be a solid player, maybe always a depth player, but never a bad player.
Already played in a GF (I think couldn't be bothered checking) - you can't be a bad player to do this.
Nick Maxwell

Aaron Keating - 5 games, including a grand final. (From memory)

From memory went from SANFL reserves to Crows semi final side, played in semi final, grand final (won) and then SANFL (Norwood) grand final (won) side and retired 2 years later having done not much else.

The biggest thing we lack is a "I am better then you, Strutter " type player . Where they lead the others follow.

The closest we have is Frodo , But i have high hopes for Fyfie , It is times like this I actually miss Adam Mcphee.

Do you mean miss him as in you would prefer him in the side to one of our current players?

Regarding strut, I think Dawson actually has it, which is of course quite ironic. To me he looks like a player who knows he is a limited footballer, and then loves going out there and getting the better of players who are rated much higher. He has a little bit of the Crowley mindset in that regard.

Do you mean miss him as in you would prefer him in the side to one of our current players?

Regarding strut, I think Dawson actually has it, which is of course quite ironic. To me he looks like a player who knows he is a limited footballer, and then loves going out there and getting the better of players who are rated much higher. He has a little bit of the Crowley mindset in that regard.

Not at all. You are probably on the money with Zac, although it is quite restrained.

To an extent, but a very, very good one. He had some games earlier in the year where he was BOG for my mind. Problem is, like Spurr, he isn't quick or agile enough to keep with the Gray's and the Rioli's of this world. Mind you I agree with whoever it was that said our issues with small forwards are structural not personnel.

Yeah thought he was quite good in the couple of EF games I caught this year.
Looking at that chase of Ibbo's on Neade down the wing suggests that he has the pace to go with these guys. Things may have been different in that game if Ibbo hadn't of needed to play tall. Agree about Duff but you'd think an experienced player could go to a dangerous forward when the younger guys are struggling.

I have done a quick calculation (because I am killing time at work) on Freo's average age currently which includes Gumby, Kepler and McPharlin - 24.311 years old.

Now, after I replace Gumby, Kepler and McPharlin with the following it brings the age down:

3 x 19 years = 23.66
3 x 20 years = 23.77

Fairly well placed age wise, so I am not sure why the media bang on about how we're an aging list.

I have done a quick calculation (because I am killing time at work) on Freo's average age currently which includes Gumby, Kepler and McPharlin - 24.311 years old.

Now, after I replace Gumby, Kepler and McPharlin with the following it brings the age down:

3 x 19 years = 23.66
3 x 20 years = 23.77

Fairly well placed age wise, so I am not sure why the media bang on about how we're an aging list.

Technically everyone has an aging list!

Well, after having another check I realised I am completely incorrect and that it should be a bit higher so we have technically just aged another 2 years in 5 minutes.
Was gonna say. 24.3 is relatively young for a list average.

3 x 19 years = 23.66
3 x 20 years = 23.77

Didn't Clay or someone post recently, or pull up a stat that our team's average age was 27 and change? Top 4 oldest in the league.

Na it was me I made these up in excel.

I have 25 and 5 months with Kep, Gumby, Mcpharlin and 24 and 8 months without.

Happy to be wrong on this but I do trust excel you can calculate their age to the day.

Attachments

• List Age EOS 2014.pdf
    259.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Age with Draftees.pdf
    260.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an adjunct to my last post re: the pot shot at Ross by Austinn Jones, I'm reading that he coached Bendigo Football Club in 2013 and 2014 and his team did not win a game. Mr Jones, I don't know how to respond to your tweet directly and nor do I know you from a bar of soap, but if that is true, can I suggest you keep your head down.

Sutcliffe, Neale, Taberner and Crozier does not suggest that Ross has not developed young players. Sheridan Apenness, A Pearce and Gray would be playing as well if Ross had his way.

Elvis should of been rotated, rested for games this year. A Pearce should of played at least one game of AFL this season.
Silvagni and Tanner Smith need to be fitter, less injury prone if possible. Mayne should be played as a swingman when required,
Using Duffy as the sub to replace him in the forward line.
Clarke would be better in the back half, doesnt take front position as a forward, taking him out of the forward line gives our smalls,
mid sized players more space to create havoc, just need the ball coming in low hard to leads.
We still have a very good list, just need a different gameplan, ideas when players are unavailable, opposition get on a roll.

Elvis should of been rotated, rested for games this year. A Pearce should of played at least one game of AFL this season.
Silvagni and Tanner Smith need to be fitter, less injury prone if possible. Mayne should be played as a swingman when required,
Using Duffy as the sub to replace him in the forward line.
Clarke would be better in the back half, doesnt take front position as a forward, taking him out of the forward line gives our smalls,
mid sized players more space to create havoc, just need the ball coming in low hard to leads.
We still have a very good list, just need a different gameplan, ideas when players are unavailable, opposition get on a roll.

Yep, we would all have liked A Pearce to have played 5+ games! he just didn't stay on the park for long enough for this to happen. Hope his soft tissue leg injuries are behind him now.

Midfield needs to restructure their chemistry amongst one another and get it back to where it was, the opponent switching and awareness around the outside of play has been so sloppy in the last month of this season. Mundy just needs to learn from what happened this finals series and carry that onto his mental and physical ability. Nothing to say about Fyfe and Barlow, they go the extra yards and are always hungry. Neale it still developing too, despite being impressive this year. Big ball getter and his desperation for clearing with kicks beats anyone else in the team. Definitely our biggest improver overall.

Sandilands is doing his work with first use and rotating with our other tall although he really needs to be improving his marking, you can't take a mark in packs of 5-6 players at an 70-80% efficiency but only be at 50% in one on one contests especially if he does the running work for most of them but doesn't pay it off. Clarke is a real problem, they built his body to be a ruck over the last couple of years but it honestly hasn't been paying off, he really needs to work on all areas of his game but I'd love to see him bounce back hard and be a scary attribute. Taberner shouldn't have been playing finals either especially after what resulted against Sydney after he couldn't capitalize on the multiple easy opportunities given to him.

Drop D.Pearce, had an absolutely shocking season and does not deserve to play in the side until he gets fit and fixes his game plan, I don't think I've seen a player on our side rack up the amount of turnovers he has this year, combined with his god awful decision making. He was more inconsistent than a 50 Gamer this year. Make Morabito play an entire Pre-Season (and Taberner / Duffy for more mechanical improvements) and get him to replace him. Apeness needs to play an entire Pre-Season also, he needs to be molded into our back line eventually and could potentially replace someone given his size and strength for his age. When General Johnson comes back I want to see Mzungu, Dawson, Silvagni, Ibbotson and Duffield functioning under him properly. With Pre-Season, more training and experience on their side I want to see Apeness and A.Pearce be shuffled into that back line when needed to for more AFL experience.

Silvagni is the ideal full-time replacement for McPharlin soon, he really needs to get his body fit and healthier this break because he can't be constantly having these minor one week injuries. He is bound to be and is set up to be our next important defender behind General Johnson once McPharlin is out of the building. As for McPharlin, I love him and would want to see him play more but it's really not looking ideal for the team after the outcome of this year with him and his performance.

After the Geelong defeat, Suban's mentality and fitness hasn't been what it was earlier this year. I like his run and attack of the ball, but his spot could easily be stolen by DeBoer (Needs to get his consistency back, he got a one year deal because he didn't want to be traded. I wouldn't be surprised if next year we see a huge change / big things from DeBoer) or Grey (We really need to run this kid).

Pavlich needs to hand over captaincy, it has to be during off season. I've noticed in recent years as he's getting older he has been a lot more physical. I really want to see him be more aggressive and play under someone else's leadership and see how he goes. Mundy and Fyfe are our only options for next captain, it will most likely go to Mundy who will then hand it to Fyfe when his contract is over which I suspect he will play one more year than retire at a Victorian club. Him being my favorite player though I hope that doesn't happen.

Overall Verdict

Players in the clear:
Pavlich
Fyfe
Neale
Sandilands
Sutcliffe
Hill
Johnson
Walters
Ballantyne
Crowley
Mzungu
Mayne

Get them out of here:
D.Pearce
Sylvia
Simpson

Last chance to step up next year:
Clarke
DeBoer

Rest need to polish some of their game up, even minor things with listed above players.

Midfield needs to restructure their chemistry amongst one another and get it back to where it was, the opponent switching and awareness around the outside of play has been so sloppy in the last month of this season. Mundy just needs to learn from what happened this finals series and carry that onto his mental and physical ability. Nothing to say about Fyfe and Barlow, they go the extra yards and are always hungry. Neale it still developing too, despite being impressive this year. Big ball getter and his desperation for clearing with kicks beats anyone else in the team. Definitely our biggest improver overall.

Sandilands is doing his work with first use and rotating with our other tall although he really needs to be improving his marking, you can't take a mark in packs of 5-6 players at an 70-80% efficiency but only be at 50% in one on one contests especially if he does the running work for most of them but doesn't pay it off. Clarke is a real problem, they built his body to be a ruck over the last couple of years but it honestly hasn't been paying off, he really needs to work on all areas of his game but I'd love to see him bounce back hard and be a scary attribute. Taberner shouldn't have been playing finals either especially after what resulted against Sydney after he couldn't capitalize on the multiple easy opportunities given to him.

Drop D.Pearce, had an absolutely shocking season and does not deserve to play in the side until he gets fit and fixes his game plan, I don't think I've seen a player on our side rack up the amount of turnovers he has this year, combined with his god awful decision making. He was more inconsistent than a 50 Gamer this year. Make Morabito play an entire Pre-Season (and Taberner / Duffy for more mechanical improvements) and get him to replace him. Apeness needs to play an entire Pre-Season also, he needs to be molded into our back line eventually and could potentially replace someone given his size and strength for his age. When General Johnson comes back I want to see Mzungu, Dawson, Silvagni, Ibbotson and Duffield functioning under him properly. With Pre-Season, more training and experience on their side I want to see Apeness and A.Pearce be shuffled into that back line when needed to for more AFL experience.

Silvagni is the ideal full-time replacement for McPharlin soon, he really needs to get his body fit and healthier this break because he can't be constantly having these minor one week injuries. He is bound to be and is set up to be our next important defender behind General Johnson once McPharlin is out of the building. As for McPharlin, I love him and would want to see him play more but it's really not looking ideal for the team after the outcome of this year with him and his performance.

After the Geelong defeat, Suban's mentality and fitness hasn't been what it was earlier this year. I like his run and attack of the ball, but his spot could easily be stolen by DeBoer (Needs to get his consistency back, he got a one year deal because he didn't want to be traded. I wouldn't be surprised if next year we see a huge change / big things from DeBoer) or Grey (We really need to run this kid).

Pavlich needs to hand over captaincy, it has to be during off season. I've noticed in recent years as he's getting older he has been a lot more physical. I really want to see him be more aggressive and play under someone else's leadership and see how he goes. Mundy and Fyfe are our only options for next captain, it will most likely go to Mundy who will then hand it to Fyfe when his contract is over which I suspect he will play one more year than retire at a Victorian club. Him being my favorite player though I hope that doesn't happen.

Overall Verdict

Players in the clear:
Pavlich
Fyfe
Neale
Sandilands
Sutcliffe
Hill
Johnson
Walters
Ballantyne
Crowley
Mzungu
Mayne

Get them out of here:
D.Pearce
Sylvia
Simpson

Clarke
DeBoer

Rest need to polish some of their game up, even minor things with listed above players.
Apeness in the backline?:confused:

Seeing how hawks use the junior hill. Has anyone got any idea about how to use the superior hill?

Im tired of seeing pearce on the end of chains watching the ball sailing out on the full, into the pocket out of bounds, or straight to harry taylor.

I think it should be pearces job to scrag hills tagger. Pleace can we have hill kicking into the forward 50 more next year.

Seeing how hawks use the junior hill. Has anyone got any idea about how to use the superior hill?

Im tired of seeing pearce on the end of chains watching the ball sailing out on the full, into the pocket out of bounds, or straight to harry taylor.

I think it should be pearces job to scrag hills tagger. Pleace can we have hill kicking into the forward 50 more next year.

When Hill's tagged by an opposition from a top side, he's pretty much shut down but he has broken through in the majority of the games he is tagged apart from them. I think he is doing well but he definitely needs someone to take the pressure of him and let him play out a few passages on his terms. Pearce is definitely not the man who can provide that, his performance this year showed that.

Overall Verdict

Players in the clear:
Pavlich
Fyfe
Neale
Sandilands
Sutcliffe
Hill
Johnson
Walters
Ballantyne
Crowley
Mzungu
Mayne

Get them out of here:
D.Pearce
Sylvia
Simpson

Clarke
DeBoer

If you want to play Apness in the back line who is going to be developed as our tall forwards, as Sydney proved last night and Hawthorn today we need to develop some taller options in the forward line or trade for 1-2 players to put there. We can't think our mids and small forwards will kick enough to win us a premiership.

Spangher, as bad as a player he is proved in that third quarter a minute ago when he was put to full forward that you don't have to mark the ball or kick goals, just bring the ball to the ground and create havoc and the others will benefit......if only Zac Clarke could do this!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back