Opinion 2015 Adjustments / Improvements / Development

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowley as a premium tagger at his best is worthwhile having in the team. Crowley of this season where he wasn't tagging as effectively is almost a liability on the field, giving how fumbly he is with the ball.

We struggle to shut down small forwards, id be interested to see how successful he could be in a back pocket. Giving him some versatility will make him more useful in the 22. Some say he's not quick enough. I'm not so sure that's true.

Do you guys think our clearances are an issue?
Against the best midfield outfits in the comp taking out their best player doesn't mean much because they have 3-4 other mids that are just as damaging. They lose one we lose one, where's the gain. Against weaker teams it's a very effective tactic because they might only have 1 damaging player.

Why are people singling out Crowley?
He stuck out like a sore thumb in the Port game, unfortunately that's the last impression we have of him in 2014.
He's on the wrong side of 30.
I think we have enough midfield talent to take on the best without a tagger.

There will always be a tagger under a RTB gameplan, might start seeing more of Matt DeBoer in that role but there will always be one with our coach.

More attacking players and a tagger that gets more ball
Langford debuted this year (well, he played 1 game last year) to go straight into tagging Ablett and Fyfe. His performance in the finals series was superb. I felt Hawthorn's use of a young player was exceptional. I can't imagine Langford being a pure tagger for long.

Can Freo afford to have the "best tagger in the league" so one dimensional? Yes, Crowley has the effect of completely blanketing a player when he is on, but he doesn't provide enough the other way and is flat footed around stoppages.

I don't really see the point in having a 30+ year old player in the side playing a role that could be used to blood a determined youngster. A young bloke who might be able to grow into even better roles.

M
I was thinking the same thing, how quickly some have turned. Crowley's main task has always been to control a major threat in the opposition, something he has done successfully again this year. I cannot think of many occasions that his player has had a major impact on us. He may not have been as effective as the previous year (best in the league) but he was still very good.

Put yourself in the oppositions mind, I am sure as hell that when Crowley approached them at the start of the game that they didn't think yippee I have got that old hack on me, more likely oh sh1t I gonna have a mongrel of a day with that bastard hanging off me. I especially remember that look whenever Crowley went to Johnson, he used to lose it almost instantly!!!!!

Mitchell killed them in the first half, they didn't have anyone within 5 metres of him most of the time and his skills and vision cut them apart when the game was up for grabs. Just dumb not to tag him or at least put some pressure on him when he had the ball. That would not have happened against us.

Langford debuted this year (well, he played 1 game last year) to go straight into tagging Ablett and Fyfe. His performance in the finals series was superb. I felt Hawthorn's use of a young player was exceptional. I can't imagine Langford being a pure tagger for long.

Can Freo afford to have the "best tagger in the league" so one dimensional? Yes, Crowley has the effect of completely blanketing a player when he is on, but he doesn't provide enough the other way and is flat footed around stoppages.

I don't really see the point in having a 30+ year old player in the side playing a role that could be used to blood a determined youngster. A young bloke who might be able to grow into even better roles.

Crozier?

Crowley as a premium tagger at his best is worthwhile having in the team. Crowley of this season where he wasn't tagging as effectively is almost a liability on the field, giving how fumbly he is with the ball.
My fear is that because he is still the clear best tagger in the team he will be kept at that role. And do a good job 16/22 games.

The better clubs will exploit him at the clearances though.

You guys remind me of St Kilda 2011. Enjoy your list folks!

Oh dear this game?

Ok I will play - your list reminds me of Melbourne 2014, no talent and that includes your Brownlow medalist. You also smell and should have that examined by a professional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking the same thing, how quickly some have turned. Crowley's main task has always been to control a major threat in the opposition, something he has done successfully again this year. I cannot think of many occasions that his player has had a major impact on us. He may not have been as effective as the previous year (best in the league) but he was still very good.

The problem is that you are only considering one side of the equation.

Sure, the guy that Crowley plays on most times doesn't have much influence. But neither does Crowley.

The problem is that you are only considering one side of the equation.

Sure, the guy that Crowley plays on most times doesn't have much influence. But neither does Crowley.

Surely you joke! Our 22nd most important player totally takes out the number 1 of the opposing team.

I like that equation FFS! You do understanding tagging right??????????

Surely you joke! Our 22nd most important player totally takes out the number 1 of the opposing team.

Very simplistic view.

If it was as simple as that, every team would have at least 1 tagger in their side every week, regardless of opposition.

The fact is, we're down 1 quality midfielder in every centre clearance as a result, when there's no guarantees our opposition will be.

Very simplistic view.

If it was as simple as that, every team would have at least 1 tagger in their side every week, regardless of opposition.

The fact is, we're down 1 quality midfielder in every centre clearance as a result, when there's no guarantees our opposition will be.

Sorry the simplistic view lies with you. Fact one best and fairest, fact two most hated player in the league - I wonder why???? The eastern states ran a campaign against Crowley last year due to the fear he raised, but yeah I must have the simplistic view. Well at least you made me laugh on the way to sleep. Every team in the league would love to see Crowley retire, think about it!!

Crowley doesn't always play on the most important player. He plays on the player the coaches think he is most likely to be effective on.

Do you think Sam Mitchell is Hawthorn's most important player?

Crowley doesn't always play on the most important player. He plays on the player the coaches think he is most likely to be effective on.

Do you think Sam Mitchell is Hawthorn's most important player?

I actually agree with you to a degree. It is the player that the coach thinks will have the most impact on the opposition team hence picking Johnson over Selwood. Selwood the better player but Johnson the match winner who falls apart under a Crowley tag.

Bad example using Mitchell though, possibly the best player at Hawthorn over 3 years, you did see the gf right???

I actually agree with you to a degree. It is the player that the coach thinks will have the most impact on the opposition team hence picking Johnson over Selwood. Selwood the better player but Johnson the match winner who falls apart under a Crowley tag.

Bad example using Mitchell though, possibly the best player at Hawthorn over 3 years, you did see the gf right???

Arguments could be made for 4-5 different players being Hawthorn's most important. But the reason Crowley usually plays on Mitchell is because he is mostly effective on that kind of player. You couldn't play Crowley on someone like Hodge, Burgoyne or Lewis and expect the same results.

Arguments could be made for 4-5 different players being Hawthorn's most important. But the reason Crowley usually plays on Mitchell is because he is mostly effective on that kind of player. You couldn't play Crowley on someone like Hodge, Burgoyne or Lewis and expect the same results.

Agree to disagree, I would play him on Lewis, Hodge or Burgoyne, I would not play him on Hill or Smith (even though he might go alright).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back