Live Event 2015 AFL Draft megathread (24th & 27th of November)

Remove this Banner Ad

Without meaning to bring the mood down, Collins will have to do a lot of work to bring his running capacity up the standard required for such a big unit at AFL level. Like Boyd, he'll take time - but it'll be bloody worth the wait.

Bookends, I cant remember the last time we had two young bookends like this.... Perhaps in the Beasley/Kennedy days....
Collins has good endurance base / genes already. Both he and Adams ... I'm surprised they both weren't taken before our picks. Very exciting, although very young they both look strong and confident players and should come on pretty quickly.

Why? Did they just get the news that Danger left?
Na, just over that Tom Doedee kid they picked at pick 17, that thread is already over 30 pages for just the one player

Wasted pick/too high a reach perhaps?

Hey Ant_ did we melt when we picked up Howard at 15 on here? Before my BF time obviously

Disappointed guys. Today is the day after Rant day, when I get to laugh and read some truly epic melts.
Where are the Bulldog melts? Every year, we get some truly epic melts.... Have you all got too tired of ranting for pages? Can't we have just 1 mega tanty to laugh at in 6 months?
I am disappointed at the lack of respect to the footy gods, we all know we melt better than ice cream on a hot day, it just truly disappointing.
Perhaps Dal is to blame. He took this small yet not insignificant right of ours to melt like there is no tomorrow. Dal, you have taken away one of the pleasures in life, something we all look forward to. Pull your head in. Perhaps we need to get (I never miss) Clayton back to right the ship.
Next, some people are going to start getting ahead of themselves and actually try and win a premiership. Why should we? We have been truly successful in avoiding that terrible fate for 60 f&$@n years, why start now?
And Jason, how dare you get involved in recruiting in the national draft by flying to Perth to meet with Adams! Don't you know we need to be able to get stuck into you too? Where is your head at? Last I checked that isn't in your job description. Just because you failed to land 'lanky lines boy' and didn't even make a logical looking trade (except for with our bunnies Carlton), does not give you the right to take away rant day!

I miss Rant Day.

Disappointed guys. Today is the day after Rant day, when I get to laugh and read some truly epic melts.
Where are the Bulldog melts? Every year, we get some truly epic melts.... Have you all got too tired of ranting for pages? Can't we have just 1 mega tanty to laugh at in 6 months?
I am disappointed at the lack of respect to the footy gods, we all know we melt better than ice cream on a hot day, it just truly disappointing.
Perhaps Dal is to blame. He took this small yet not insignificant right of ours to melt like there is no tomorrow. Dal, you have taken away one of the pleasures in life, something we all look forward to. Pull your head in. Perhaps we need to get (I never miss) Clayton back to right the ship.
Next, some people are going to start getting ahead of themselves and actually try and win a premiership. Why should we? We have been truly successful in avoiding that terrible fate for 60 f&$@n years, why start now?
And Jason, how dare you get involved in recruiting in the national draft by flying to Perth to meet with Adams! Don't you know we need to be able to get stuck into you too? Where is your head at? Last I checked that isn't in your job description. Just because you failed to land 'lanky lines boy' and didn't even make a logical looking trade (except for with our bunnies Carlton), does not give you the right to take away rant day!

I miss Rant Day.

Well my membership is going straight to the micro wave , fair dinkum our blokes have no idea !
We are a club crying out for 6 stone small slow left foot half back flankers and what do the morons draft ?
Big dumb blonks that don't even look like footballers.
That's it for me this club is stuffed !

Hope that helps ? :)

By the way, I know it has been mentioned plenty.... but JMac and Dal deserve serious kudos for trading Pick 11. That is the move of the draft. Obviously there are a lot of teams that have ended up in better positions than us because they started holding much better cards.

But no-one has maximised their position like we have. We essentially got Dunkley for free. No-one else has pulled something like that off.

And I don't mind saying that I had huge doubts. Many people did. That is what makes the move so gutsy. It's easy to do what anyone would have done. But this was not such an instance. It was brave, and it turned out to be canny too. Well done, guys.

We just took one step closer to the summit.
better yet, we spent a bit of time this year stockpiling later picks (for points) next year. Just need GC to finish bottom and we're a sniff at Petrevski-Seton

Na, just over that Tom Doedee kid they picked at pick 17, that thread is already over 30 pages for just the one player

Wasted pick/too high a reach perhaps?

Hey Ant_ did we melt when we picked up Howard at 15 on here? Before my BF time obviously

Umm mostly it was all Christian who?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure if it's already been covered yet, but can anyone explain why Adelaide and Port only took 2 selections in the draft this year? In years gone by, the rules require minimum 3 selections - is this perhaps because they have upgraded rookies, which no longer occurs during the draft?

I'm not sure if it's already been covered yet, but can anyone explain why Adelaide and Port only took 2 selections in the draft this year? In years gone by, the rules require minimum 3 selections - is this perhaps because they have upgraded rookies, which no longer occurs during the draft?
Emma Quayle was asked the exact same question on SEN this morning, and the answer was upgraded rookies count towards the minimum three players required for the draft.

Just a few bits of info about last night's haul. Spoke to someone at the club this morning. Believe what you will.
  • Kieran Collins: the club is absolutely stoked to get him. They rated him a top 10 pick, and couldn't believe he dropped to us. We would've 100% taken him at pick 11, so to get him and Dunkley for that pick is massive.
  • Marcus Adams: fair bit of interest in him from other clubs. Was a toss up between picking him and Skinner here. His body shape is a copy of Jack Darling - absolutely massive. Hopefully he can play a bit like him too. We see him back and fwd.
  • Sam Skinner: club is shattered he didn't last until our last pick (bloody brisbane). They believe if he hadn't done his ACL, he would've been a lock for a top 15 pick. Question marks over his injury led to us going with Adams earlier, but we would've taken him at our last if he had lasted.

Sounds like the draft would have been a dream come true to the club if Skinner made it. Would have been brilliant but ah well. Pick him up cheaply in 2 years.

I still would have preferred Bonner than Dunkley. But I do agree that Dunkley is at least a safe pick. And he is potentially a gun. The fact that Dal seems to have decided on him very early is a good sign. If only a team earlier than us had bid Keays we could have gotten Skinner too! But I'm happy to see what Bailey Williams has to offer.
I wouldn't have preferred Bonner - the success rate for draftee with a high % of UP vs CP is much, much lower. I didn't want Fiorini for the same reason. If you're going to play the modern game, you have to be able to win your own ball

Just a few bits of info about last night's haul. Spoke to someone at the club this morning. Believe what you will.
  • Kieran Collins: the club is absolutely stoked to get him. They rated him a top 10 pick, and couldn't believe he dropped to us. We would've 100% taken him at pick 11, so to get him and Dunkley for that pick is massive.
  • Marcus Adams: fair bit of interest in him from other clubs. Was a toss up between picking him and Skinner here. His body shape is a copy of Jack Darling - absolutely massive. Hopefully he can play a bit like him too. We see him back and fwd.
  • Sam Skinner: club is shattered he didn't last until our last pick (bloody brisbane). They believe if he hadn't done his ACL, he would've been a lock for a top 15 pick. Question marks over his injury led to us going with Adams earlier, but we would've taken him at our last if he had lasted.
Do you think Adams will be good enough to help us forget Skinner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't his beep test really good at combine? IIRC he improved massively on his previous beep record. He is also bottom age so we could see a rapid improvement physically similar to Bont over pre-season.

BTW his coach before on SEN said that he expects Collins to become a big bodied mid fielder/forward in a couple of years similar to Stringer. I wouldn't bet on it, but interesting nonetheless.

Interestingly, Collins smashed the beep iirc

He ran a level 14 beep test so he's fine for endurance. He will have to work on his speed a bit though.

Didn't he run a 14 plus beep? Agree he'll take time but like Boyd I think it's his athleticism that will hold him back if anything. Kids still only 17 so wtf knows lets be honest. He gets his chance!
Bye Talia - don't let the door hit you etc etc :)

Collins has good endurance base / genes already. Both he and Adams ... I'm surprised they both weren't taken before our picks. Very exciting, although very young they both look strong and confident players and should come on pretty quickly.

I'm liking the idea he has more of a tank than Vez and more repeat efforts than Jones, but the reality is that the testing is in isolation - under good conditions. Its not the results that count, it's the ability to do it under pressure, under physical contact against guys bigger and stronger than you and keep going.

For example Hogan ran a 14-something beep, but took 3 years to get his body right.
McCartin apparently was running 13.5 beeps, but was blowing 5 minutes into the first quarter of his game.
Boyd ran a 2.95s for the 20m sprint at the combine - but we know he needs a lot of work on his fitness.

I'm not being critical of Collins, I think it's bloody brilliant that we got such a top end talent - but for these kids, the hard work starts now....

For example Hogan ran a 14-something beep, but took 3 years to get his body right.
McCartin apparently was running 13.5 beeps, but was blowing 5 minutes into the first quarter of his game.
Boyd ran a 2.95s for the 20m sprint at the combine - but we know he needs a lot of work on his fitness.

I'm not being critical of Collins, I think it's bloody brilliant that we got such a top end talent - but for these kids, the hard work starts now....
True - although Hogan basically lost a year with back issues.

Even Clay Smith who ran a high 14s beep went into a "full body cramp" in his first game. Match fitness takes time, fortunately with the Footscray VFL side we get to control how our youngsters are developed which helps their transition to AFL.

PS - Bulldogs are enemy no 1 on the Freo board right now, taking Collins then Adams right before their picks.
They were desperate for talls (even moreso than us) and we completely screwed them - they went small first two picks, cue meltdowns :D

Read page 14 onwards

True - although Hogan basically lost a year with back issues.

Even Clay Smith who ran a high 14s beep went into a "full body cramp" in his first game. Match fitness takes time, fortunately with the Footscray VFL side we get to control how our youngsters are developed which helps their transition to AFL.

Listen to Dunstall and Dermie talk about it, even Johnno Brown. It's the holding, the bumping, the nudge that makes you fall to the ground - for the young KPP's this is the biggest adjustment.

Instead of largely beating up on littler kids, they're up against guys as big, who are stronger and have more miles in the legs... It's tough...

And the VFL side is such a good development ground for our kids, really thrilled we have this now...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back