Live Event 2015 AFL Draft megathread (24th & 27th of November)

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Funny thing was, Essendon supposedly called up JMac to say they were taking Marcus at 25 (pre-academy picks).

Wonder if they were only pressuring us to take him earlier, to keep our hands off another player? Anyway, couldn't be more stoked with the draft. Marcus is over the moon to be a Dog, we were his club of choice and he told us that.

Thanks for all your wishes also!
Curious to know why we were his club of choice? care to share any specifics?

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Disappointed guys. Today is the day after Rant day, when I get to laugh and read some truly epic melts.
Where are the Bulldog melts? Every year, we get some truly epic melts.... Have you all got too tired of ranting for pages? Can't we have just 1 mega tanty to laugh at in 6 months?
I am disappointed at the lack of respect to the footy gods, we all know we melt better than ice cream on a hot day, it just truly disappointing.
Perhaps Dal is to blame. He took this small yet not insignificant right of ours to melt like there is no tomorrow. Dal, you have taken away one of the pleasures in life, something we all look forward to. Pull your head in. Perhaps we need to get (I never miss) Clayton back to right the ship.
Next, some people are going to start getting ahead of themselves and actually try and win a premiership. Why should we? We have been truly successful in avoiding that terrible fate for 60 f&$@n years, why start now?
And Jason, how dare you get involved in recruiting in the national draft by flying to Perth to meet with Adams! Don't you know we need to be able to get stuck into you too? Where is your head at? Last I checked that isn't in your job description. Just because you failed to land 'lanky lines boy' and didn't even make a logical looking trade (except for with our bunnies Carlton), does not give you the right to take away rant day!

I miss Rant Day.
Oh the melt happened. Full melt was averted by the fact that we had consecutive picks

If there had of been even 1 pick between our Dunkley & Collins selections this thread would be 10 pages longer.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Nailed it.

Dunkley and Collins were the ones I wanted coming in, but I thought Collins would be gone.

Very happy and Adams looks the goods as well. Don't know much about Williams.

Get Adcock on Friday and we've done very nicely.

Bulldogs_6

All Australian
Sep 5, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cavs, Browns, Red Sox
Curious to know why we were his club of choice? care to share any specifics?
He was keen on the move to Melbourne, the list is obviously quite appealing, and I think the nail in the coffin was meeting with Bevo (who was rocking the handlebar mo), described him as a ripper bloke and can't wait to work under him.

He was keen on the move to Melbourne, the list is obviously quite appealing, and I think the nail in the coffin was meeting with Bevo (who was rocking the handlebar mo), described him as a ripper bloke and can't wait to work under him.
I imagine the high likelihood of a best 22 spot when Morris retires is a huge incentive too. Could easily play multiple games next year after a pre-season, and make our best 22 after 2 pre seasons. Nicely developed kid.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sam Landsburger saying that Collins did not lose a single one on one contest throughout the whole national championships.

What more is there to like.

I imagine the high likelihood of a best 22 spot when Morris retires is a huge incentive too. Could easily play multiple games next year after a pre-season, and make our best 22 after 2 pre seasons. Nicely developed kid.

Adams could easily play 10 - 15 games + next season at either end IMO.

He looks ready to go and no doubt the fact that both Adams and Collins already have great body size would have been a factor as to why we drafted them. Both great pickups.

Nath09

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Also worth noting that Carlton could have taken Curnow with pick 10 instead of Harry McKay if they didn't have pick 12 - so no guarantees he still would have been there.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Sam Landsburger saying that Collins did not lose a single one on one contest throughout the whole national championships.

That his old coach thinks that Collins would also make a capable forward at AFL level? That's probably a big positive in that he might be able to swing both ends also

Interesting - word is he struggled against Matt Allen in the SA game.
Countered by the fact he clearly beat no 2 draft pick (and best key forward) Schache - looks set to be that solid one on one FB we've been searching for.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Adams could easily play 10 - 15 games + next season at either end IMO.

He looks ready to go and no doubt the fact that both Adams and Collins already have great body size would have been a factor as to why we drafted them. Both great pickups.
Some people (not many though) seem to think Collins doesnt have a high ceiling and only projects as a reliable B grade defender but honestly I'd be rapt with that. A reliable gorilla defender who doesnt make mistakes and can wrestle with the oppositions biggest forwards all day is extremely important in our set up because it unleashes everyone else to do their thing without worrying about that. If hes anything more than that its a bonus, and I reckon he projects higher than that anyway. Think he will be very Brian Lake like for us.

Agree on Adams, I think he starts round 1 if he impresses in the preseason tbh and will play a lot of games. Last nights result is great because now in the backline, like the ruck situation, there no obvious choice for round 1. Moz is a lock of course (could change by the end of the year though) but the other two spots could go to any of Hamling (who you'd think would be next in line at this point IMO), Roberts, Adams, Collins possibly even Cordy if he has a big preseason. All should get a chance in the Nab cup too.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Obviously as a mature ager, flight risk is less of a risk, but if he wanted to come here, then can't see it being a big risk. Considering it's obviously been an intentional strategy to mostly draft Vic players, seems like this is a low risk though. Glad to hear he is wrapped to come over, just as we are for him. Cheers.

PS - Bulldogs are enemy no 1 on the Freo board right now, taking Collins then Adams right before their picks.
They were desperate for talls (even moreso than us) and we completely screwed them - they went small first two picks, cue meltdowns :D

Read page 14 onwards
We didn't force them to take Darcy Tucker :cool:

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Interesting - word is he struggled against Matt Allen in the SA game.
Countered by the fact he clearly beat no 2 draft pick (and best key forward) Schache - looks set to be that solid one on one FB we've been searching for.

The thing is I think Allen/those real athletic types forwards are going to get a hold of Collins, particularly if the team is instructed to defend man on man. Now I'm not sure what defensive strategies they were employing but I bet that Collins would suit ideally in a zone setup rather than a man on man setup. Look at rougheads last 3 years. In defence he would get slaughtered by more athletic forwards particularly as under the MCCartney era, Roughead always had to fend for himself whether in the contest or on the lead (which he would get burnt all the time). Under Beveridge/Clarkson methods the "slot" key defender is protected by Easton Wood, Matty Boyd, Ben Stratton and Josh Gibson, who defend space and cut the ball off at will.

The interesting thing is that both the clarkson zone (pre lake) and the beveridge zone are going to still be able to be picked apart with out your slot defender (by slot defender I mean your Brian Lake, Cale Hooker, Daniel talia monster tamer type defender). I'm sure that teams revised their tactics against Hawthorn (partiuclarly Geelong who had Hawkins deep) and instead of picking targets inside 50, just put it at the top of the monster full forwards head. Enter Brian Lake and Hawthorn won 3 flags.

My point is that Collins biggest weakness (and he doesn't have many) is his straight line speed or agility. I think teams with zone defences are far better equipped at minimising the risk of this as support nearly always is at hand rather than man coverage.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Our mid stocks are growing literally and figuratively each year.
Bailey Williams 187cm
Josh Dunkey 189cm

Along with...
Koby Stevens 189cm
Lin Jong 188cm
Bont 192cm
Jack Macrae 191cm

Throw in these guys who can rotate in their...
Jake Stringer 192cm
Stew Crameri 189cm

Along with the staples
Libba 182cm
Wallis 185cm

Surely the tallest mids in the league as a team. Height would also assist in being able to shrug tackles and free the arms i'd imagine, as Bont rarely ever has his arms pinned when tackled.

Cripps might (not) be the prototype midfielder but we are the prototype midfield.

Surely the tallest mids in the league as a team. Height would also assist in being able to shrug tackles and free the arms i'd imagine, as Bont rarely ever has his arms pinned when tackled.

Cripps might (not) be the prototype midfielder but we are the prototype midfield.
Freo as a midfield would go close... but they don't have a spine (god it feels good to type that about another team)

Doggies7

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks Manchester City
Mate give it time. Looks great now, but we shall see.

Understand it's still a raffle and a chance neither kid will turn out, but pure currency wise, I would rather back in our development of Collins and Dunkley over a "good" ruckman in Lobbe. We still have Campbell, Minson and Roughy to play that spot in 2016, before addressing it next trade period too. Collins and Dunkley would have been a high price for a ruck who, while being a good player, didn't completely suit our team and playing style. Not to mention the 550-600K that Lobbe is reportedly on that we would have to pay for the next few years too.

Roscoe_au

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was the initial selection of Keays tactical? Force Brisbane to throw in an extra pick to test their resolve?

Really rated Keays and disappointed our pick was matched. Then again, have read that Dunkley is a quality kid with true leadership potential so not about to have a meltdown. Besides, to get Collins is freakin' amazing! No way in hell did I think he would be available by the first selection we had.

Back