List Mgmt. 2015 AFL Draft - what type of players should we be looking at & who do we take? (Poll added)

Who would you select with our first round pick?

• Joshua Schache (VIC – KPF)

Votes: 57 12.8%
  • Jacob Weitering (VIC – KPD)

Votes: 349 78.3%
  • Aaron Francis (SA – DEF/FWD)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Charlie Curnow (VIC – KPF/MID)

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Kieran Collins (VIC – KPD)

• Ryan Clarke (VIC – MID/FWD)

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • Darcy Parish (VIC – MID/DEF)

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Of those Murphy, Cripps, Gibbs, Holman, Graham, Curnow, Whiley, Daisy and Bell (though likely gone) are blokes you'd rotate through the centre. We lack quality and quantity of mids.. Oh the joys of being a crap side.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

McEvoy, Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Burgoyne, Smith, Langford, Hartung, O'Rourke.
Kreuzer, Cripps, Murphy, Gibbs, Graham, Daisy, Holman, Curnow, Whiley.

You know what really sets Hawthorn apart? The core of that group have played together for years. If we can get a good run with injuries and start to find some continuity with our list, we'll be on the up over the next couple of years.

Our midfield isn't as far off as you might think. Workrate has been our biggest let-down, a few too many players dropping their heads when things get tough. Cripps, Murphy, Graham, Curnow will be required to ensure the players around them are held accountable. We desparately need a stronger backline, and some hard-working forward targets.

Oh, and a cohesive gameplan.

I'm optimistic.

Cutz

Team Captain
Sep 21, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Great

You know what really sets Hawthorn apart? The core of that group have played together for years. If we can get a good run with injuries and start to find some continuity with our list, we'll be on the up over the next couple of years.

Our midfield isn't as far off as you might think. Workrate has been our biggest let-down, a few too many players dropping their heads when things get tough. Cripps, Murphy, Graham, Curnow will be required to ensure the players around them are held accountable. We desparately need a stronger backline, and some hard-working forward targets.

I'm optimistic.
Great Post !

Totally Agree. Go to the draft, pick, develop and of course retain the book ends. Then grow the mids. Need mids with outstanding decision making, composure and foot skills, but we can address that after the book ends. Bolton and co will need to do the rest.

It wont get done in the one draft, but when its a properly completed , and coupled with a Young Coach who is across today's tactics and possesses an appetite to "teach", I am quietly optimistic as well !!

Carlton seem all but certain to land Lachie Plowman after he has had much discussion with Stephen Silvagni. Plowman and Silvagni grew a strong relationship in Plowman's draft year which has added to him coming to the Blues. Excellent boost for our backline over the next 10+ years along with Weitering.

Very happy to hear this. Shouldn't cost us any more than a second rounder.

Of those Murphy, Cripps, Gibbs, Holman, Graham, Curnow, Whiley, Daisy and Bell (though likely gone) are blokes you'd rotate through the centre. We lack quality and quantity of mids.. Oh the joys of being a crap side.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
Holman and Whiley wouldn't get a game in a top 8 side either.

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat

I'm optimistic.
The cream of our midfield can hold it's own against most sides, the problem is that it doesn't bat as deep, a side like Hawthorn has additional players manning pockets and flanks that can be called upon to go through there, exception being blokes like Suckling and Smith who are kept out of contests to maximise their strengths.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Kreuzer, Cripps, Murphy, Gibbs, Graham, Curnow, Holman, Whiley, Docherty, Daisy, Bell(?), Menzel, Boekhorst, Tutt, Smith, Armfield. Plenty of blokes to spend time in the middle, some real quality and some obvious depth-only options.

Rice is a good choice if we're getting him cheap. Would rather a genuinely talented HBF with pick 35-40 than a speculative winger.
I am not sold on the idea of HBF and HFF like Menzel and Docherty being able to develop into players that can run through the middle. If they weren't able to win enough clearances at junior level to play as mids what gives people the idea they will be able to develop to do this at senior level.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I am not sold on the idea of HBF and HFF like Menzel and Docherty being able to develop into players that can run through the middle. If they weren't able to win enough clearances at junior level to play as mids what gives people the idea they will be able to develop to do this at senior level.

You know who else was drafted as a HF?

Nat Fyfe.

Plenty of examples of players transitioning into the midfield as their bodies mature. We don't need Doc and Menz to spend much time in the middle, just be able to rotate through on occasion while the Gibbs, Murphy, Cripps types rest up forward or on the bench.

May 29, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers

Docherty is already a better midfielder than half back. With Sheehan and Byrne coming back next year I hope he makes a permanent move to the middle.
Clearances aren't the problem. Spread and options once out are

You're right, our players have no trouble getting their hands on the ball. Hopefully under Bolton they'll be taught to move the ball like a modern day AFL team instead of playing 90s football and things might start looking up.

Docherty is already a better midfielder than half back. With Sheehan and Byrne coming back next year I hope he makes a permanent move to the middle.

You're right, our players have no trouble getting their hands on the ball. Hopefully under Bolton they'll be taught to move the ball like a modern day AFL team instead of playing 90s football and things might start looking up.

I see Docherty as perfectly suited to (feel dirty saying it) the 'Hodge role'.

HBF who intercepts, spoils, links up well and provides peripheral midfield support. A bit of a general. Could probably make it as a FT midfielder, but aside from the occasional iffy finishing touches I think he's doing a great job. Looks like he's been playing footy for 10 years.

I see Docherty as perfectly suited to (feel dirty saying it) the 'Hodge role'.

HBF who intercepts, spoils, links up well and provides peripheral midfield support. A bit of a general. Could probably make it as a FT midfielder, but aside from the occasional iffy finishing touches I think he's doing a great job. Looks like he's been playing footy for 10 years.
Does he need to become an attempted murderer as well?

It's a bit more than all that. We need to work on how the boys spread out and the patterns they use to break through defenses. Port and then the Dogs have had success with running game plans, stopping them and utilising them should be a focus

Old navy

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2014
Eastern Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Weitering is our number one pick for mine. KKP who plays back to an elite standard. Can also go forward and doesn't look out of place.
Has plenty more developement left, is one of the youngest player in this year pool.
Also runs a 15.5 beep which for a 195cm KPP is of the charts.
To top it all off the kid is a general out on the field. Captained a star studded Vic country as a 17yo.
This is our man.

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Had no idea he ran a 15.5 beep test, it just gets better and better! His BT will end up 16+ once he gets into an AFL system and who's to say he doesn't grow another cm or two, insane, what an athlete!! And to add to that, he is also a giant mentally having had the fortitude to lead a star studded team, mostly older than himself.....throw in exquisite skills and decision making for good measure..

Take a bow lady luck and thank you Brissy, all this talk of Schache was just a smoke screen, they really wanted Weitering all along

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
If we are looking for a rookie ruckman, I reckon Michael Wenn from the Oakleigh Chargers should be considered. Reminds me of a young Sauce Jacobs & has a decent football pedigree.
Not so sure we go after one in the draft with Sauce Phillips looking likely to come on board via trade period.

Kreuz, Wood, Sauce Jnr and MKII (Korcheck aka the Yank) will be our ruck stocks in 2016 with Rowe, Cas and maybe even Weitering chopping out.

Nov 20, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea, Melbourne City, OKC
Take a bow lady luck and thank you Brissy, all this talk of Schache was just a smoke screen, they really wanted Weitering all along
Not quite, they would have taken Schache regardless. He is the perfect fit.

What I already like about this rebuild is that we will sort out our back-line for the next decade!

Understanding there is still a lot of water to go under the bridge, but Carlisle, Weitering and Plowman is an A+ core to work around.

Assuming we finish bottom 4 again next year, without knowing the current group of youngsters for next years draft, we can really start targeting the forward line, and being such a deep draft, snag a couple of midfielders later on with 2nd rounders.

TLDR; Flags.

I think it is almost universally agreed upon that we lack in all but one area. Inside Mids (Cripps, Murphy, Gibbs, Curnow, Graham is enough clearance potential)

So the draft options for each position as I roughly see them:

KPF:
Pick 1: Schache, Francis (if you squint real hard)
Pick 20: McKay, Weideman
Pick 38: J Silvagni

KPD:
Pick 1: Weitering
Pick 20: Collins, Hartley
Pick 38: M. Brown, Glass-McCasker

Outside Mid:
Pick 1: Parish
Pick 20: Partington, Gresham, Balic, Milera, Lovell, O'Kearney, Clarke
Pick 38: Markov, Clark, Fiorini, Johnson, Nunn, Haysman

Ruck:
Pick 1: -
Pick 20: Mckay
Pick 38: Cameron, Nyuon, Parella, Sullivan

General Defender:
Pick 1: Francis
Pick 20: Bonner, Tucker, Rice (F/S), White, Hibberd
Pick 38: Tahana, Capiron, Cole, Tucker, Parsons, Crocker

General Forward:
Pick 1: Francis
Pick 20: Burton, Milera, Balic, Ah Chee
Pick 38: Phillips, Cunningham, Hewett, Dawson, Brind, Rioli, Kerbatieh, Redman

*NOTE: All information is collated from reading phantom drafts and roughly correlating players projected position with these picks we currently possess. I do not have extensive knowledge of these players, I simply thought this was an interesting way to present the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back