List Mgmt. 2015 AFL Draft - what type of players should we be looking at & who do we take? (Poll added)

Who would you select with our first round pick?

• Joshua Schache (VIC – KPF)

Votes: 57 12.8%
  • Jacob Weitering (VIC – KPD)

Votes: 349 78.3%
  • Aaron Francis (SA – DEF/FWD)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Charlie Curnow (VIC – KPF/MID)

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Kieran Collins (VIC – KPD)

• Ryan Clarke (VIC – MID/FWD)

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • Darcy Parish (VIC – MID/DEF)

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What am I missing here.
I think Thomlinson is a nice player too. But I find him to be a tad overrated. I just don't get why there is so much love for him. He is a bit of a inbetween type. No part of his game is outstanding other than his endurance. Just doesn't do enough damage for mine. I see him as a lead up CHF similar to the crows Tom Lynch. You don't give up 1st round picks for a player like that.
I would gladly see us get him, but at the right price. Unless he does something special this year I just can't see his worth being a 1st rounder that so many were willing to give up for him.
Am I missing something here, can someone please point out what part of his game am I missing?

In this supposedly weak draft, the way things transpired, I'd rate him at about pick 12-15 (before the FS/Academy bids). I'm always one to take a chance on something better rather than settle on the known quantities so I'm glad that we didn't give up pick 8 or 11 for him.

So... was just musing on the draft some more... one possible concern is that all of McKay, Curnow and Cuningham seem to have knocks on their kicking skills. This feels at odds with our collective thoughts on what Bolton would want and what the Blues need - guys who can execute.

It's all in front of them, but I hope that proves incorrect. Weitering, of course, is mooted as somewhere between above average and elite at everything, so he's no concern whatsoever.
Not sure what you've been reading.
Silvagni and Weitering are two of the best kicks in the draft.

McKay is a beautiful set shot.

Curnow does have an awkward action- I mean don't be expecting him to be kicking bullets. He did after all finish top 10 in the kicking skill comp at the combine - not sure how much you can read out of that.

As for Cunningham, he doesn't poses that best kicking skills but he can kick both feet and already looks far better at kicking then Robinson, Bell, E.Curnow, Armfield

What am I missing here.
I think Thomlinson is a nice player too. But I find him to be a tad overrated. I just don't get why there is so much love for him. He is a bit of a inbetween type. No part of his game is outstanding other than his endurance. Just doesn't do enough damage for mine. I see him as a lead up CHF similar to the crows Tom Lynch. You don't give up 1st round picks for a player like that.
I would gladly see us get him, but at the right price. Unless he does something special this year I just can't see his worth being a 1st rounder that so many were willing to give up for him.
Am I missing something here, can someone please point out what part of his game am I missing?

I think one thing with Tomlinson is we havent seen the best at his at GWS, and dont think we ever will with there abundance of talls taking up the key positions. Im not saying it isnt a risk giving up a first rounder for him as it is, and it might backfire. However some of the qualities he possesses such as his endurance and his strong marking ability make him a very sound prospect. I believe if not for GWS plethora of young talls he would be lining up as a key forward for the majority of clubs. And also remember he is only 22.

I think one thing with Tomlinson is we havent seen the best at his at GWS, and dont think we ever will with there abundance of talls taking up the key positions. Im not saying it isnt a risk giving up a first rounder for him as it is, and it might backfire. However some of the qualities he possesses such as his endurance and his strong marking ability make him a very sound prospect. I believe if not for GWS plethora of young talls he would be lining up as a key forward for the majority of clubs. And also remember he is only 22.
All those things could be true. But should we be prepared to give up a premium pick. Not many blokes are worth that. Especially with a bloke that's attributes are the same as the crows lynch. I rate him as a player but not for the cost being offered up by so many on here.

Well Charlie is a Curnow and if he's anything like Ed, you wouldn't exactly expect his kicking to be elite :p

Having said that though, everything I've read suggests his kicking is good enough and better than Ed's.

So the overall result is pretty exciting.

Will take a few years for transition but:

Henderson - replaced by McKay
Yarran - replaced by Cuningham
Ellard - replaced by Wright
Menzel - replaced by Kerridge
Watson - replaced by SOS2
Warnock - replaced by Korcheck, Phillips and Gorringe. Expect Wood goes next year for a mid.
Judd - Simply not replaceable! but Curnow
Carrazzo - replaced by Lamb
Bell - replaced by Plowman
Giles - replaced by Glass-McCasker
Johnson - replaced by Andrew Gallucci
Fields - replaced by Weitering
Walsh - replaced by Sumner
Holman - not replaced

Last edited:
Really good pick ups today. Glassy reminds me of Carlisle and did a number on Shackhe in the championship. Gallucci is best friends with a few of my good friends and he can play. Smart small forward, evasive and quick. Best of all his a mad Carlton supporter!

Good to see us making an effort to continue loading up the spine by picking up Glass-McCasker and I've read from a few places that he did very well against schache in the U18 championships, however does anyone know why he didnt get picked up at the national draft?

So... was just musing on the draft some more... one possible concern is that all of McKay, Curnow and Cuningham seem to have knocks on their kicking skills.
As for Cunningham, he doesn't poses that best kicking skills but he can kick both feet
Thought we needed someone like Collins but we might take wa tall defender Jesse glass mccasker 196cm 95kg on Friday who knows
Ya donged it on the noggin 95BM. We passed on the ready-made FB who is excellent overhead, makes good decisions, is as professional on the field as off it, has great endurance, has some of the cleanest hands in the business and can launch the ball off one step to pinpoint a running target 60m away for another average midfielder whose key point of difference is that he uses his burst of acceleration to get into space where he can spray it equally as well off both feet. Outstanding.

Then we rookie JGM, whose disposal is also somewhat less than inspiring, because we don't have any KPDs under development. I just don't agree with taking the pseudo FB and then pretending we've addressed the issue when the real McCoy was available to us. While I'm probably being a little hard on young Cuningham here and need to give the kid a chance, I just think there was a better option available to us at that pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ya donged it on the noggin 95BM. We passed on the ready-made FB who is excellent overhead, makes good decisions, is as professional on the field as off it, has great endurance, has some of the cleanest hands in the business and can launch the ball off one step to pinpoint a running target 60m away for another average midfielder whose key point of difference is that he uses his burst of acceleration to get into space where he can spray it equally as well off both feet. Outstanding.

Then we rookie JGM, whose disposal is also somewhat less than inspiring, because we don't have any KPDs under development. I just don't agree with taking the pseudo FB and then pretending we've addressed the issue when the real McCoy was available to us. While I'm probably being a little hard on young Cuningham here and need to give the kid a chance, I just think there was a better option available to us at that pick.

I think you are forgetting how bad Cjudd kicking was.. The point of difference particularly in his early years was his ability to win the ball from a stoppage and break away with explosive speed. A bit harsh with your assessment but like all new draftees time will tell..... Again except for Weitering he is a guarantee star! Barring injuries

Trigg delighted with draft outcome

Carlton’s chief has praised Blues recruiters after a big week that netted a host of new fresh faces, all eager to don the navy blue jumper.

.........and fair enough.
Just have a feeling that Crocker may have also been on our list now had McKay not intervened..............just a feeling

So the overall result is pretty exciting.

Will take a few years for transition but:

Henderson - replaced by McKay
Yarran - replaced by Cuningham
Ellard - replaced by Wright
Menzel - replaced by Kerridge
Watson - replaced by SOS2
Warnock - replaced by Korcheck, Phillips and Gorringe. Expect Wood goes next year for a mid.
Judd - Simply not replaceable! but Curnow
Carrazzo - replaced by Lamb
Bell - replaced by Plowman
Giles - replaced by Glass-McCasker
Johnson - replaced by Andrew Gallucci
Fields - replaced by Weitering
Walsh - replaced by Sumner
Holman - not replaced
Running through that comparison might give some people cause for alarm but I think we'll be a better side than last year. The output of many of the outgoing list of our players in 2015 was poor at best. Chris Judd through career ending injury, others (Hendo. Yarran & Menzel) through being heartless sooks, Carrots through injury/loss of impact and others who would not have lasted as long as they did on other AFL lists (fields, Walsh, Johnson, warnock, ellard & Watson).
In comes low age, highly talented junior footballers, some who are just starting, some on a second chance but all of them hungry and keen. All would be signed to 2 year deals. Some will sink, but I'm confident many will swim.
We'll have some rough weeks in 2016, no doubt, but I don't think it will be as bad as this year and I dont think we'll win the spoon.

So... was just musing on the draft some more... one possible concern is that all of McKay, Curnow and Cuningham seem to have knocks on their kicking skills. This feels at odds with our collective thoughts on what Bolton would want and what the Blues need - guys who can execute.

It's all in front of them, but I hope that proves incorrect. Weitering, of course, is mooted as somewhere between above average and elite at everything, so he's no concern whatsoever.
Thie does worry me slightly, especially given Hawthorn basically only draft brilliant kickers of the sherrin, but we'll see.

In this supposedly weak draft, the way things transpired, I'd rate him at about pick 12-15 (before the FS/Academy bids). I'm always one to take a chance on something better rather than settle on the known quantities so I'm glad that we didn't give up pick 8 or 11 for him.
Tomlinson would have been the best tall available after Francis and Curnow and before Weideman, so that would have placed him right around 6-8.

Tomlinson is a gun..

Glad we didnt pick another Watson. SOS was in the best position to determine if Collins would make it or not, or fit in the team, being back of the century.

Tomlinson would have been the best tall available after Francis and Curnow and before Weideman, so that would have placed him right around 6-8.

Tomlinson is a gun..
Agree 100%. When the whispers were in the wind regarding him coming in I got so excited.

I somewhat hope he has a Hendo 'I don't give a crap' year and we get him on the cheap as he is an absolute ripper.

Time will tell whether or not he'll be more handy than Harry, but if I had to pick right here right now I'd go Mr T for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back