List Mgmt. 2015 AFL Draft - what type of players should we be looking at & who do we take? (Poll added)

Who would you select with our first round pick?

• Joshua Schache (VIC – KPF)

Votes: 57 12.8%
  • Jacob Weitering (VIC – KPD)

Votes: 349 78.3%
  • Aaron Francis (SA – DEF/FWD)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Charlie Curnow (VIC – KPF/MID)

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Kieran Collins (VIC – KPD)

• Ryan Clarke (VIC – MID/FWD)

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • Darcy Parish (VIC – MID/DEF)

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
16 clubs shouldn't suffer because one club overpays. I have no idea what they base compensation picks on, but surely it can't be on money alone, and if it's not there is no way they will get pick 2.
Age, length of contract and contract value...

If I remember rightly, he was a top ager in Gibbs draft (2006) which would make him 27 this year. With his history of injuries, I doubt that many clubs would toss out a 4 year contract at him (final year he would be 31/32). They might go for a 3 year contract, but they wouldnt be offering silly money for him. Especially considering that he has only played 14 games so far this year... the money would only be around 450-500k/year... max.

I think for him to trigger a band 1 compensation deal, he would have to suddenly find AA form, be selected as an AA and be offered 650k/year for 3 years. And that just isnt going to happen. Especially when he is struggling to make it into the paddlepops senior side when they have been as s**t as they have been.

Would it be possible for someone to put in a stupid offer, with the expectation of a not-so-stupid, under-the-counter refund ? Seriously?
If someone did that, it would be called draft tampering IMO.

Dramoth I think that 206 was offered another contract but at reduced $$ a couple of weeks prior to the shoulder surgery.
That would suggest that they still see value in him (at that point). This may have changed since then but that was the last I heard of any list management talk about 206. Would have no problem seeing him play for *.

As for trading S White, it will eventually happen, but he adds some spine to our defense that has been missing in recent history.
For that and his serviceable contributions this season I would be willing to keep him.

On T.Bell maybe looking for a move to QLD, why is everyone restricting us (by their suggestions on possible trades) to trading with Brisbane, there is another team up there.

Even if Kreuz stays i think we need to look at bringing in another Ruck along with Korcheck....Has anyone seen the Giants academy fella Flynn play?
Saw him play against Eastern ranges. I like him for a pick 40+, competitive, creative, aggressive, takes pack marks, drops back into the hole in defence, kicks goals. Question marks on him for me are his athletism and height to be a ruckman at afl level (Perhaps he's grown since ??), but their aren't too many 200cm no1 rucks with average athletic ability. So he'd have to be 2nd ruck/fwd similar to Casboult, haven't seen him play as a pure fwd but I'd back him to develop into a decent one.

Hope that helps!

Saw him play against Eastern ranges. I like him for a pick 40+, competitive, creative, aggressive, takes pack marks, drops back into the hole in defence, kicks goals. Question marks on him for me are his athletism and height to be a ruckman at afl level (Perhaps he's grown since ??), but their aren't too many 200cm no1 rucks with average athletic ability. So he'd have to be 2nd ruck/fwd similar to Casboult, haven't seen him play as a pure fwd but I'd back him to develop into a decent one.

Hope that helps!
cheers for the info blue_trinity, he may be gettable in the 40's considering GWS will possibly use their early picks on Hopper and Kennedy, otherwise do we give Aurruchio a rookie spot? He seems to be tracking pretty well in his first year out here

Interesting that Lions are no longer into Dixon - the story said something in the vein of "we're going to develop our own instead". This is good for them, and us. For them because Dixon's ankles make him an expensive risk and will give their numerous young KPF's a chance to grow.

For us? Well if that's not a sign they're taking Schache in the draft, I don't know what is.

Weitering come on down.

Last edited:
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2015-08-27/clem-featured-in-the-draftees

interesting read into the mind of recruiters

The club would have chosen only Angus Brayshaw, Liam Duggan and Christian Petracca ahead of Boekhorst at pick 17, with Caleb Marchbank, Jayden Laverde, Jordan De Goey and Dillon Viojo-Rainbow next on their list. They wanted pace, they needed it, Boekhorst had it and when recruiting manager Shane Rogers packaged up highlights of the eight best options and showed them to the club’s coaches they all liked the same player he did, making him feel even more confident that Boekhorst would be the right choice. It was possible that the 21-year-old would have made it to the club’s second pick at No. 28, and Rogers’ fears that Essendon would snap him up at pick 20 had eased by the time he got to the draft. But enough clubs had shown interest in him to make him feel uneasy about leaving him there. And regardless, he was the highest- ranked player on his list. So he picked him, with Viojo-Rainbow the player who made it to 28.

Smith%20Draft%20Combine.jpg

Clem Smith at the Draft Combine. (Photo: AFL Photos)

Sixty was Carlton’s third choice, with its fourth and final one coming in at 63. For Rogers, the draft started to get interesting after the second round, in that he found himself crossing more names off the bottom of his list than the top as other teams started calling their names out. He had taken 54 names into the draft, and by late in the third round two of his top 20 were still available: Dean Gore, who the Blues had ranked at No. 11, and Clem, twentieth on their list. Geelong grabbed Gore with pick 55, Port Adelaide drafted Dougal Howard, Sydney passed, Adelaide chose tall forward Dear and Geelong picked Cunico at 59. The Blues’ two selections were effectively back-to-back, with Lions Academy player Harris Andrews and Bulldogs’ father-son pick Zaine Cordy already attached to picks 61 and 62. Rogers wanted to bring at least one developing tall in, liked Jayden Foster and was able to choose him at 63. He also liked Billy Gowers, who missed out on being drafted, and the midfielder was the first person Rogers called once the draft was over. He was already hoping he might get him in the rookie draft, and Billy’s response to being overlooked was the best one he had heard. ‘I said, “I’m sorry, mate, you were the next name on our list,” and he said, “Shane, if you hadn’t picked that kid at 60 you would have been crazy.” He said, “You had to pick him, he’s a gun.’:D

Who had he picked? ‘Player 215293. Clem Smith. Perth Footy Club and Wesley College.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weiderman being a Whitefriars boy would be a great pickup too, may follow our current captain's lead?

Parish has got me convinced, if we lose Kruez and have pick 3, it has to be Parish or Francis. I guess the choice depends on if we get Aish or not.

Why trade out picks to get lower in what is considered to be a shallow draft ??

If we get #7 from Geelong then we should sure as hell being using it where it is.

And you would have to have rocks in your head to trade away #3, that is where we would be picking up another bone--fide gun player of the future.

We need to collect as many picks as we can inside the top 15, not dropping our numbers in a 2 for 1 scenario.
I agree that pick 8 should be used (on Curnow) but pick 3 I wouldn't mind trading..

Who will be pick 3 and are Carlton sold on them? Pick 3 looks to be either Francis or Parish and I for one wouldn't want both Weitering and Francis as our 2 picks because Francis is an intercept defender and would rather a forward. I also don't believe he will be a midfielder.
We may also rate Mathieson or Balic higher than Parish.

If we can trade pick 3 for picks 11 and 16 and draft as below, I'd be over the moon! Yarrans pick, if he leaves, isn't included so we can add one of the bolded or grab best available midfielder too. I'm assuming #8 comes with 2nd round swaps.

#2 Weitering
#8 Curnow
#11 Mathieson/Burton/Weiderman
#16 Burton/McKay/Collins#26 Kerbatieh

I would be taking Parish with pick 3 but this draft needs to be KPP heavy. We have a young improving midfield at the moment with no real KPF stocks, Curnow and Burton have potential to be midfielders and are goal kickers.

The next 3 drafts are crucial to where we will be in 5-10 years time and I would take that risk this year. We have yet to go into a draft with many 1st rounders and this first year is the best year to take risks with talls being in abundance. We need as many KPPs now so that they are ready when Cripps, Graham and co are in their prime. KPP heavy this year, mids next year.

For me, it all comes down to needing firepower in forward line, not sold on Francis being a mid and not needing a mid (Parish) half as much as a forward. But I'd take the chance, especially as SOS has experience in having a ton of early draft picks, why limit him? :)

Edit: Also want future picks and already want to give our 2017 1st rounder for one in next years draft.

Last edited:
Please recruit more of the same type please:D:D:D

816816-034865b6-5147-11e5-8ffe-a0d4079a7abb.jpg

Blues youngsters Blaine Boekhorst, Dylan Buckley, Nick Graham and Patrick Cripps have coffee at Cecconi's Restaurant.
Love this. Who're the 2015 draftees who're noted to have the most leadership ability?

Weitering, Gresham notable ones for me. I'm sure SOSOS will have a huge smile on his face donning the navy blue.

Surprised Doc isn't in the above photo, too.

You know who'd also look great in the back of that pic?

Adam Treloar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back