Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Currently, the Cats have 6 vacancies on their playing list.

The Cats have the following live selections in the AFL National Draft (ND): 67, 85, 103, 121

Hence, it appears that we will have two live selections in the AFL Pre-season and Rookie Draft (PRD).

This forum is for: Cats fans to explain who we should acquire (eg AFL prospect name, position, player strengths and weaknesses) and why. It should also consider those players that are likely to be available with our late draft selections.

Are Will Snelling or Gach Nuyon a chance to slip this far?

Would like either/both.
Gach Nuyon did well at the Draft combine, so he may have moved himself up the pecking order. I don't know much about Snelling, so he may be in our draft range.

What I'm hoping is to see the other clubs falling over that kid Pass. Did well at the State Combine. My tip for the big draft climber.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the sound of these mediums sized guys that may float in our draft pick range that can rotate through the forward, defence or midfield.

Stephen Tahana – North Adelaide (Half back 183cm/78kgs)
Has already played SANFL and is a great rebound player who reads the play and puts his body on the line. Good clean pair of hands and has speed. Can also play in the midfield.
Top Ten @ Combine:
Relative vertical jump (cm) - 69
Relative running vertical jump (cm) - 86

Keiran Agius – North Adelaide (Forward 187cm/84kgs)
Really good sized midfielder who plays in the forward line. One of the best kicks in the draft, he booted over 50 goals in the U18′s last year and 57 in just eight games in 2013. Problem here is he doesn’t work anywhere near hard enough. Attitude is flawed but his talent is elite. Get him right and he will be a jet.
Top Ten @ Combine:
Nil

Alex Morgan – Oakleigh Chargers (Defender 181cm/80kgs)
Medium defender who has great skills on either side. Knows where to place himself to use his creativity and can set up play from the half back line.
Top Ten @ Combine:
Agility - 8.07
20m sprint - 2.88 seconds
Relative vertical jump (cm) - 71

Here are my roughys post pick 67
69. Alex Morgan - VM (180.0 cm, 80.0 kg - Small Defender)
*70. Mitchell Cox - VC (180.0 cm, 78.0 kg - Balanced Midfielder)
81. Matthew Allen - SA (193.0 cm, 97.0 kg - Key Forward/Inside Midfielder)
*89. Mark Kovacevic - VM (204.0 cm, 111.0 kg - Ruckman)
Now I know bugger all about any of them but they will arrive with good sized bodies,I can't see the point of putting 7 stone weakings on the list with these picks.

Mason Redmond, south aussie...has had clubs talk to him thru the draft combine. Not sure if the cat's were one of those tho

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I reckon we will end up with say 67 70 72 and 75.75 will be the last live pick in the draft so we might save it for the psd if any recycled players bypass nd and just nominate for the psd.

I reckon we will end up with say 67 70 72 and 75.75 will be the last live pick in the draft so we might save it for the psd if any recycled players bypass nd and just nominate for the psd.

Are then any players who are likely to go into the PSD who aren't DFA, I can't think of anyone.

Here are my roughys post pick 67
69. Alex Morgan - VM (180.0 cm, 80.0 kg - Small Defender)
*70. Mitchell Cox - VC (180.0 cm, 78.0 kg - Balanced Midfielder)
81. Matthew Allen - SA (193.0 cm, 97.0 kg - Key Forward/Inside Midfielder)
*89. Mark Kovacevic - VM (204.0 cm, 111.0 kg - Ruckman)
Now I know bugger all about any of them but they will arrive with good sized bodies,I can't see the point of putting 7 stone weakings on the list with these picks.
I can actually see a point of picking up several (not all) project players and developing bodies with those late picks- players that can be shaped to come online in 2 years' time instead of line up behind everyone else for a midfield spot, become disenchanted at lack of opportunity and leave after 2 years, wasting coaching time and resources. I know we already have a few developing on the rookie list but why not a mix of immediate depth players plus a couple of raw recruits?

As usual, I expect Wells to recruit locally plus country Vic and SA/WA country players. His methods appear to have worked well to date.

Just out of interest- do we have any native Queenslanders on our list other than Smith?

Gach Nuyon did well at the Draft combine, so he may have moved himself up the pecking order. I don't know much about Snelling, so he may be in our draft range.

I would be very surprised if Snelling drops that far.
Stephen Tahana will also get picked up before we get a chance.

I think we have a slim chance in getting in Alex Morgan but hopefully we can lock in Luke Surman.
I would be pleased if we can grab both of these guys as they look like solid defenders.

Currently, the Cats have 6 vacancies on their playing list.
I thought we had 7, unless we have confirmed a Rookie upgrade?
Off: Kelly, Stokes, Rivers, Macintosh, Hartman, Blease, Johnson, Walker, Simpson, Jansen, Gore - which is 11 players to replace minus the 4 we traded in? I actually thought it was 12, but I might have included Toohey (rookie) in that.

The Cats have the following live selections in the AFL National Draft (ND): 67, 85, 103, 121

Hence, it appears that we will have two live selections in the AFL Pre-season and Rookie Draft (PRD).

By my records if we take 4 players in the ND we still need 3 more players, so they can be either Rookie upgrades, Delisted Free Agents or from the Pre Season Draft.

The Rookie Draft is different, and how many vacancies will depend on who we upgrade. So far we only have one vacancy that I am aware of (Toohey), but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few current rookie listed players be upgraded

This forum is for: Cats fans to explain who we should acquire (eg AFL prospect name, position, player strengths and weaknesses)
I think with those picks we just simply take best available, but wouldn't be surprised to see Geelong take a punt on players who are a) mature state league players, b) bottom-aged juniors, or c), players maybe slid due to injury.

I am probably more interested in if there are any DFA targets. Could somebody like Moore or Young from Port be available, or Grant from Bulldogs? There will be a few players still on lists that are uncontracted for next year, or players already delisted who might be worth a punt.

I like the sound of these mediums sized guys that may float in our draft pick range that can rotate through the forward, defence or midfield.

Stephen Tahana – North Adelaide (Half back 183cm/78kgs)
Has already played SANFL and is a great rebound player who reads the play and puts his body on the line. Good clean pair of hands and has speed. Can also play in the midfield.
Top Ten @ Combine:
Relative vertical jump (cm) - 69
Relative running vertical jump (cm) - 86

Keiran Agius – North Adelaide (Forward 187cm/84kgs)
Really good sized midfielder who plays in the forward line. One of the best kicks in the draft, he booted over 50 goals in the U18′s last year and 57 in just eight games in 2013. Problem here is he doesn’t work anywhere near hard enough. Attitude is flawed but his talent is elite. Get him right and he will be a jet.
Top Ten @ Combine:
Nil

Alex Morgan – Oakleigh Chargers (Defender 181cm/80kgs)
Medium defender who has great skills on either side. Knows where to place himself to use his creativity and can set up play from the half back line.
Top Ten @ Combine:
Agility - 8.07
20m sprint - 2.88 seconds
Relative vertical jump (cm) - 71

I think we are only a slim chance of getting Alex Morgan but agree with your comment and like the kid.
I'm not sure if others agree but I can see a mixture of Scarlo/Milburn/Enright in there? Will be a good BP player.

Not a fan of Keiran Agius. I agree, he is Lazy! Tahana will get picked up in the Top 40 I think. If he falls further I would be keen for us to snap him up.

Take a look at Luke Surman. I think he'd be a good addition for us. I could see him as a future replacement for Lonergan maybe?
Good utility player so can swing from end to end but I really think he plugs the hole at FB and CHB very well along with taking solid marks.

I think Reuben William would be worth a roll of the dice.
He has a bit of flare and pace. Could be a superstar down the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back