Autopsy 2015 AFL Grand Final - Hawthorn v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Well you were the biggest Jinx The_Wookie every bandwagon you jumped on ended up losing :D

Anyway Mitchell stiff not to get the NSM. 17 clubs are stupid as they just refuse to tag him, to their detriment.

Nov 16, 2004
Location Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
In accurate goal kicking by Eagles in first quarter vs accurate hawks
Hodges and hills goals lifted hawks, rioli tackle on hutchings and darlings dropped 3rd quarter mark which ended eagles flicker of hope were pivotal moments.
Hawks experience too much at the end
All set up for 4 in a row but thats what was said about Brisbane.

Coastroast

Debutant
Sep 28, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
We were ******* useless. Hawks were clinical, lethal and far more poised. We were never going to win. Even had darling not ****ed that up and goaled, we still would have lost. Hawks have been able to withstand serious runs by other teams in years gone by and even last week. Crows 2012, Dockers 2013, port 2014 and dockers last week all had momentum swings go their way but the hawks could hold their own. Even against the cats they came from 20 down in the last quarter to win. Nothing they can't withstand. I thought what happened would happen in the second half. That's if they didn't kill us off straight away. We'd close a little, then they'd belt us into oblivion. We got beaten by a far better side. That being said I'm still filthy with our crap performance but very confident we will rebound next year .

I must say reading the main board game day thread was a lot of fun, just finished.

The class of west coast supporters stood out like a shiny standing out thingy.

The salty bitterness of some swans and cats and essendon fans however was refreshingly sweet to read. Keep complaining guys it makes us happy. If you acknowledged what you should we'd be bored and a little miffed. Just keep the salt coming it completes us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

big bootaaaaah

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 10, 2011
Doghouse
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Can gagf
I think our momentum went when Shuey refused to handball inside to cripps and went the selfish grubber goal attempt. It was clear we were overly tense and fumbling became cringeworthy. At times I felt sorry for the crowd at the g having paid good money to watch a good shootout between two high scoring teams but how we scored so many goals during the year was a mystery today as our fwd line was just stagnant. Hawks managed to find space in their fwd line but not us. Hawks had far superior structure around contests where we would have 3or4 players falling over the ball as they'd stand off a touch and always get the clearance as our boys layed in a bumbling heap. How McEvoy got to push fwd unmanned was insane as was Rioli being left unattended.
Our defense tactic of standing off players to fill gaps is too reliant on the other team having sloppy kicking skills and we got found out today with low precision passes being marked uncontested too often.
Hawks deserved the win and tbh with our performance today I was thinking we don't even deserve to be there but I guess we just had one of those stinker days. I'm sure our boys will be disgusted with their game but Hawks got the scoreboard pressure going and played beautifully.
I dislike hawthorn but they are a bloody good side when they are on so I guess congratulations to them. And I hope we can learn something from this abomination for next year.
Tipping top 2 for us again with some key defenders back and other teams on the slide.

Last edited:
On the big stage only the big boys play... Message to WC supporters, do not celebrate prelims and qf finals at home as if you have won the game that matters!

All Cyril Rioli talks about is the anguish of losing 2012... It still drives him.

All in all Eagles not ready and crumbled, whilst hawthorn again has proven that heartache is a necessary ingredient to become truly great. Fourthorn a serious possibility

KOLOKOTRONIS

pablo668

Premiership Player
May 3, 2007
Claremont
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Probably the best team of all time. Congratulations Hawthorn and Hawks fans.
You guys have every reason to very happy indeed.

Hawks tactics, well I don't know much about how they attack, other than it's pretty darn effective when they do, but their defensive work is top notch.
They don't let up on the pressure, they don't let teams switch play easily and even when they do it seems that they have everything up the ground covered anyway.

Quite awesome to watch.

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hawks rightfully lauded for another great performance, a great side with so many talents.

But **** I'm fed up with teams shitting the bed in the GF against them. Freo's first half in 2013, Sydney last year and now WC - all pretty pathetic. There's an argument that the hawks pressure, or even general presence, make good sides dish up poor performances but it's getting tedious that no one can challenge them.

Hawks rightfully lauded for another great performance, a great side with so many talents.

But **** I'm fed up with teams shitting the bed in the GF against them. Freo's first half in 2013, Sydney last year and now WC - all pretty pathetic. There's an argument that the hawks pressure, or even general presence, make good sides dish up poor performances but it's getting tedious that no one can challenge them.

Grand final day is a different ball game. The majority have played in four gfs and a handful 5. That experience is enormous. Hawthorn treats it like another day and lifts 5%, the other teams have lost the mental edge. For mine Sydney 2014 is the most disappointing challenger.

Football is above the shoulders.

KOLOKOTRONIS

PatrickBateman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Cartagena, Colombia
AFL Club
Geelong
Greatest of all time. Be privileged you saw them. You will be telling people about it for generations.

....until you actually show people the two most recent games, which were non-contests. And by that I mean West Coast and Sydney bringing pre season levels of intensity and passion. Hawks spat out some great highlights, but where's the fierce contests the game is known for? Hawks did it under next to no pressure.

If you can't get both Grand Final contestants willing to put everything on the line to win, what have you got? The AFL is a 2nd rate competition at present.

Well you were the biggest Jinx The_Wookie every bandwagon you jumped on ended up losing :D

Anyway Mitchell stiff not to get the NSM. 17 clubs are stupid as they just refuse to tag him, to their detriment.

Thought Mitchell, Frawley or Cyril would all be worthy winners. All had profound impacts on the game. Like last year, there's usually no one right answer.

Love this club.

Commiserations to the Eagles. Exceeded all expectations all year and wouldn't have begrudged them winning after all their set backs but GF day is just another level and on this occasion was just too much for them. Well done to them on a great season though.

hfc70

Premiership Player
Mar 9, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
....until you actually show people the two most recent games, which were non-contests. And by that I mean West Coast and Sydney bringing pre season levels of intensity and passion. Hawks spat out some great highlights, but where's the fierce contests the game is known for? Hawks did it under next to no pressure.

If you can't get both Grand Final contestants willing to put everything on the line to win, what have you got? The AFL is a 2nd rate competition at present.
Agree.

I think the Cats 'back to back' Premiership team is , like their song, 'The Greatest Team of All'

Oh wait...

Probably the best team of all time. Congratulations Hawthorn and Hawks fans.
You guys have every reason to very happy indeed.

Hawks tactics, well I don't know much about how they attack, other than it's pretty darn effective when they do, but their defensive work is top notch.
They don't let up on the pressure, they don't let teams switch play easily and even when they do it seems that they have everything up the ground covered anyway.

Quite awesome to watch.

It's our pressure and defence that often gets over looked when analysing the Hawks. Plenty of talk about our fire power and how all you need to do is pressure us to force errors... That's quite true, but it's true for every side and we also apply that side of the ledger as well or better than most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back