Live Event 2015 AFL National Draft Night Thread

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
He may have issues with his kicking but the kid can play football. I can understand some of the reasons we skipped, but he has to be better option than leonidis and dawson. He was rated as a top 25 pick and we have turned him down for 2 x 50 plusers.

I also dont get all the flight risk talk. If we are scared of players leaving we may aswell stop recruiting players outside of nsw all together. Every single player's preference in the draft is to stay close to home. Unfortunately they all cannot stay in their home states. Thats where we need to back our culture in to show these kids we are a great club to play for.

Im sure zac jones honest preference would be to play with his brother in his home state but he arrived at the club and has signed a 2 year extension

Wonder what influence (if any) his bitter and twisted dad had on his decision.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Was very late almost as if it wasn't his preference and I want players here that want to be here
I highly doubt that dawson and leonidis's preference was to play at sydney. Whilst they may say they would be happy to play anywhere, if they had the choice you could almost guarantee they would elect to stay at home rather move interstate

I highly doubt that dawson and leonidis's preference was to play at sydney. Whilst they may say they would be happy to play anywhere, if they had the choice you could almost guarantee they would elect to stay at home rather move interstate

I'm personally happier with Dawson and Leonidis than taking Dunkley. He isn't the type we needed. Need players that can really kick not players that struggle to kick.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
He may have issues with his kicking but the kid can play football. I can understand some of the reasons we skipped, but he has to be better option than leonidis and dawson. He was rated as a top 25 pick and we have turned him down for 2 x 50 plusers.

I also dont get all the flight risk talk. If we are scared of players leaving we may aswell stop recruiting players outside of nsw all together. Every single player's preference in the draft is to stay close to home. Unfortunately they all cannot stay in their home states. Thats where we need to back our culture in to show these kids we are a great club to play for.

Im sure zac jones honest preference would be to play with his brother in his home state but he arrived at the club and has signed a 2 year extension

We have to take into account what Dunkley has said, about preferring to stay in his home state, and also he nominated at the very last minute for father/son rules. That showed he really is not overly invested or committed to Sydney.

Add to that his Father refuses to have almost anything to do with Sydney because he is maintaining some bitterness at the way his career finished... That also is not going to be great for keeping Dunkley around... he is from a close family and his father doesn't will not have anything to do with the club he could have been picked for. Young Dunks would want hsi family to share in his career and joy movong forward, yes?

Those thoughts would have crossed the minds of the Swans

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney

that sounds a lot more like we would only draft him if no-one else was going to.

The emma qualye article in the age is much more sympathetic.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...mma-why-sydney-opted-out-20151125-gl84z9.html

I find it a bit hard to believe that we only gave him nomination forms if he was going to be at our last pick. That we could have done without bothering to nominate. Clearly there is a lot of stuff that has happened behind the scenes here.

that sounds a lot more like we would only draft him if no-one else was going to.

The emma qualye article in the age is much more sympathetic.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...mma-why-sydney-opted-out-20151125-gl84z9.html

I find it a bit hard to believe that we only gave him nomination forms if he was going to be at our last pick. That we could have done without bothering to nominate. Clearly there is a lot of stuff that has happened behind the scenes here.

With our last puck means someone could have nominated him, with the 20% discount if 56 would have covered the balance, plus remaining pucks we wouldn't use, then we would have matched.

Which means that is where we rated a matched bid for him.

That's how I read it.

Lakeside Swan

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2015
Getting f'd over big time by the AFL.
AFL Club
Sydney
True, but the difference is that they're simply happy to get drafted by anyone. Dunkley on the other hand knew that he was going to get drafted.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
It wasn't just a flight risk with Dunkley though, it's also a question of where he would get the most senior opportunities. Even if he becomes a good player, he would still more likely than not find himself behind JPK, Hanners, Parker and Mitchell, so for all we know it might have ended up being a reverse JPK scenario. You can't keep them all. Only time will tell whether we made the right call or not.

It wasn't just a flight risk with Dunkley though, it's also a question of where he would get the most senior opportunities. Even if he becomes a good player, he would still more likely than not find himself behind JPK, Hanners, Parker and Mitchell, so for all we know it might have ended up being a reverse JPK scenario. You can't keep them all. Only time will tell whether we made the right call or not.
And more importantly, he'd be stuck behind Mills for his whole career. I'm kinda glad he didn't come to the Swans, if only for his footy career

I agree with what you are saying and also think list balance on top of that.

We have a good record later in the draft, and our recruiters would have had players lined up to fill needs and our game plan.

Back