2015 AFL U18 Championships

Remove this Banner Ad

Are people still going to defend the GIANTS Academy? All they do is pick players from footy areas in southern NSW and have them developed in Victorian private schools.

Are people still going to defend the GIANTS Academy? All they do is pick players from footy areas in southern NSW and have them developed in Victorian private schools.

Hardly their fault that they choose to go down there. Pretty sure Hopper moved because there is literally no football in Leeton. Setterfield I think is a family thing. Don't know much about Mutch (haha get it?) and McDonald actually moved because of a medical situation so he couldn't stay in the bush.

Also think that a lot of these kids from the Albury area (my home) would have been guns anyway. Not like the Giants academy do heaps in developing them. They have two or three camps and that's about it I think. The rest is training with local clubs and playing senior footy from a young age ala Kennedy or Macreadie, or playing for the Bushies.

I wouldn't say it's just NSW/ACT. Some APS schools do it as well, country blokes like Jy Simpkin, Will Broadie, Aidyn Johnson are boarding at Scotch.

I know it's not the same theory, but they develop them there.

Keays has had 16 disp by HT- Not a good sign for the Lions regarding draft picks as he continues to climb up the rankings.

A good sign for the Lions though, great prospect for the future.

Not sure why they keep looking for Hipwood off half back. Takes a good grab and is exciting and mobile but cannot kick.

SA have serious issues forward of centre, they should have beaten both WA and Vic Metro.
Unfortunately I think the issue was with the midfielders. Too much handball leaving forwards out of position followed by greedy shots at goal. Anyone in the F50 had very little opportunity. It got worse as the champs progressed. Schache would have struggled to get a kick in the SA forward line the last few games!

Hardly their fault that they choose to go down there. Pretty sure Hopper moved because there is literally no football in Leeton. Setterfield I think is a family thing. Don't know much about Mutch (haha get it?) and McDonald actually moved because of a medical situation so he couldn't stay in the bush.

Also think that a lot of these kids from the Albury area (my home) would have been guns anyway. Not like the Giants academy do heaps in developing them. They have two or three camps and that's about it I think. The rest is training with local clubs and playing senior footy from a young age ala Kennedy or Macreadie, or playing for the Bushies.
I think that's the problem in and of itself. GWS cover a larger area of NSW, where more kids play footy, where there are generally more footballers unearthed, yet they spend less money on their Academy than the Swans. That doesn't work out if the assumption is made that GWS put as much development into their prospects as the Swans.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Academies controlled by the Swans and Lions, they need it and spend a lot of money that could be used elsewhere (and develop non-football areas, importantly), but a team spends less and gets much, much more, that doesn't sit right (not that it's GWS at fault, good on them for taking advantage of all the concessions).

Watching vic country warm up... No 5 looks to be an excellent kick... Anyone know much about him?

I know he is better than number 6.

Homer%20SImpson%20Number%20Six%20Prisoner.jpg

simpsons_number_6_4557.jpg

Keays has had 16 disp by HT- Not a good sign for the Lions regarding draft picks as he continues to climb up the rankings.

A good sign for the Lions though, great prospect for the future.

Looking forward to the media campaign by Eddie Maguire to try and force us into using picks 1 or 2 on Keays, somehow.

Looking forward to the media campaign by Eddie Maguire to try and force us into using picks 1 or 2 on Keays, somehow.

Won't happen as Gold Coast are not going to bid on him, obviously Brisbane won't either and I highly doubt Carlton, Melbourne or St Kilda would be too interested in that sort of player.

Supposedly 7 of the top 10 players in this years draft will probably be key position players and I doubt Keays is seen as a top 3 midfielder in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't happen as Gold Coast are not going to bid on him, obviously Brisbane won't either and I highly doubt Carlton, Melbourne or St Kilda would be too interested in that sort of player.

Supposedly 7 of the top 10 players in this years draft will probably be key position players and I doubt Keays is seen as a top 3 midfielder in the draft.

You underestimate Eddies hatred of Brisbane/Academies.

The academy is fine. It's the zoning that's the problem. Southern NSW probably shouldn't be zoned at all but that doesn't mean the whole house of cards needs tipping over with academies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back