Resource 2015 Annual Reporting Season. -now complete.

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL recieves all ticket money from the finals series regardless of state and venue. the AFL doesnt get the catering or other services, and still pays for the use of the ground.

Given the limited capacity at Subiaco and the fact there was only 1 final played there, theres no way the figure was 20 million (This article indicates the AFL expected to make 20 million on the ENTIRE finals series last year, the Grand Final worth about 9 million. The Subiaco final was the second lowest attended final, beaten for attendance by every game except the first Sydney final, probably making the game only worth 1 or 2 million at most.

and even so, it would be WA being treated exactly the same as any other state, thus not supporting the 'WA subsidised the poor Vic clubs' paradigm.

You don't need financials to come up with a rough estimation of revenue from 4 finals at Subiaco.

So you're talking about WA being treated exactly the same as everyone else as proof of how you're being ripped off?

The AFL recieves all ticket money from the finals series regardless of state and venue. the AFL doesnt get the catering or other services, and still pays for the use of the ground.

Given the limited capacity at Subiaco and the fact there was only 1 final played there, theres no way the figure was 20 million (This article indicates the AFL expected to make 20 million on the ENTIRE finals series last year, the Grand Final worth about 9 million. The Subiaco final was the second lowest attended final, beaten for attendance by every game except the first Sydney final, probably making the game only worth 1 or 2 million at most.

Dude, the preliminary final alone tickets were going for over $150 each (in some cases well over) for most of the ground. Multiplied by 40,000 at the conservative estimate of $120 each is nearly 5 million. Add to that corporate boxes (Subi has about 200) and you could easily come up with another $2 million.

If the AFL were only making $1-2 million from those games then someone was raking off some huge commissions. I can believe that expenses were perhaps $1 million per game at the very most. Probably much less.

Dude, the preliminary final alone tickets were going for over $150 each (in some cases well over) for most of the ground. Multiplied by 40,000 at the conservative estimate of $120 each is nearly 5 million. Add to that corporate boxes (Subi has about 200) and you could easily come up with another $2 million.

If the AFL were only making $1-2 million from those games then someone was raking off some huge commissions. I can believe that expenses were perhaps $1 million per game at the very most. Probably much less.

Do you have any kind of source to backup these back of a napkin calculations?

No, i'm talking about your comment that 'bugger all goes out of WA'.

So you're making up numbers to prove that, in a very rare year, WA still contributes less to AFL coffers than the Vic clubs you claim the subsidise...

Yes.

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/2014-finals-series.pdf

Are you incapable of doing the most basic of searches?

Finals tickets cost money...no shock there...Doesn't tell me how much the AFL ended up with though.

BTW..Aren't you the guy who insists Vic clubs don't pay to use docklalnds because it doesn't say 'rent' on their financial statements?

I want to see where, in the financial statements of WCE, Freo and/or WAFC there is an outflow of funds to the AFL sufficient to fund the Vic clubs (and, presumably, the northern clubs..after all, there would be nobody else who could fund them).

Last edited:
Finals tickets cost money...no shock there...Doesn't tell me how much the AFL ended up with though.

BTW..Aren't you the guy who insists Vic clubs don't pay to use docklalnds because it doesn't say 'rent' on their financial statements?

No, I said they don't pay rent.

I want to see where, in the financial statements of WCE, Freo and/or WAFC there is an outflow of funds to the AFL sufficient to fund the Vic clubs (and, presumably, the northern clubs..after all, there would be nobody else who could fund them).

What club makes net payments to the AFL? The AFL gets most of it's money from TV rights, not from direct payments from clubs.

I thought accountant-types were supposed to be boring...

200.gif

So have West Coast released their 2015 financials yet?

What club makes net payments to the AFL? The AFL gets most of it's money from TV rights, not from direct payments from clubs.

Actually, no they don't, they get roughly half their money from media rights, but that still doesn't explain how Victorians are taking all of WA footballs money...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Match costs are supposed to be taken from the home clubs gate reciepts. The loss side of things is arguable for clubs due to the nature of memberships, and the guarantee of a $100,000 payment for every game at Docklands. If a club is writing cheques to Docklands, its because the gate didnt cover it.

Its about 50/50 for broadcast/non broiadcast revenues at the moment.(and that includes radio and AFL Media).

Actually, no they don't, they get roughly half their money from media rights, but that still doesn't explain how Victorians are taking all of WA footballs money...

I can't speak for whoever made the comment, but when we're paying $70 a ticket and it's only $25 to see random broke Vic club and the AFL has to kick in millions every year to said Vic club, you may be able to see why WA fans would be frustrated. If we were charging $25 a ticket, we'd need millions a year too.

I can't speak for whoever made the comment, but when we're paying $70 a ticket and it's only $25 to see random broke Vic club and the AFL has to kick in millions every year to said Vic club, you may be able to see why WA fans would be frustrated. If we were charging $25 a ticket, we'd need millions a year too.

$70 per game?
Hmm..last year, WCE made $324.15 per member and Freo made $299.10 that'd be ~$30 & ~$29 per game...

I suppose you need millions too.....

$70 per game?
Hmm..last year, WCE made $324.15 per member and Freo made $299.10 that'd be ~$30 & ~$29 per game...

I suppose you need millions too.....

Jesus telsor, a big chunk of Freo's and (especially) West Coast's membership is waiting list numbers.

FFS, do some research. Are you seriously suggesting that AFL tickets in Melbourne *aren't* significantly cheaper?

Yes.

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/2014-finals-series.pdf

Are you incapable of doing the most basic of searches?

To be fair, it wasnt far back in this thread that you were claiming 1 final at Suiaco is worth 20 million to the league, and a simple google search proved that was pretty far out.

1. This does nothing to prove AFL money leaves WA for Victoria. The only way it does so at present is via (a) the $2 equalisation levy on all adult general admission tickets sold at the gate - for which WA would contribute bugger all due to the majority of attendees being members. (b) the equalisation levy on football department spending and (c) transfer fees for player development.
Victorian clubs also pay all three of the above, as well as a TAC Cup levy, and blockbuster levys apply to the "big 4" clashes.

2. If every AFL club had access to the same stadium deals that the WA clubs did, they wouldnt need bailing out either. However they dont, and they cant - and what revenue there is they split with the AFL, who also actively competes with them for memberships.

3. WA fans are getting ripped off by the WAFC to support the WAFL and its own aims, and games are held at a WAFC operated stadium that holds a monopoly on matches - thats the deal they signed up for, same as in SA.

In Victoria, MCG ticket prices - especially for the finals - have to be approved by the MCG Trust, and the MCG competes with Docklands. In addition, the Victorian clubs have 5 times the number of matches to choose from when deciding when to go.

To be fair, it wasnt far back in this thread that you were claiming 1 final at Suiaco is worth 20 million to the league, and a simple google search proved that was pretty far out.

What? When did I say that?????

I expect that sort of s**t from telsor, but you're usually pretty good with the research.

And what the hell do ticket prices have to do with the stadium deal?

What? When did I say that?????

I expect that sort of s**t from telsor, but you're usually pretty good with the research.

I should have said 4 finals, not 1 finals, and you'd still be wrong.

Except nobody can point to the massive sums supposedly going OUT of WA to 'prop up Vic clubs'.

There is clearly money going INTO WA, but bugger all going out, but the WA chip on the shoulder ignores such details to endlessly repeat their crap.

Bugger all? There would have been $20 million plus flowing to the AFL just from the last finals series.

Given the limited capacity at Subiaco and despite the fact that 4 finals were played there, theres no way the figure was 20 million (This article indicates the AFL expected to make 20 million on the ENTIRE finals series last year, the Grand Final worth about 9 million.

Ill tell you hat i did wrong here too - I originally pulled the match figures from 2014 in the above statement, since edited. It was a big error, suprised no one called me on it.

Since stadium deals are a big part of why the club subsidies exist, and they cant just jack up prices to rort the football public like the two WA clubs can. The AFL sets the price but isnt free to set whatever the hell price it likes due to the MCG trust having an approval. There is literally no way the AFL could charge the same prices the WAFC rort out of the WA football public.

Since stadium deals are a big part of why the club subsidies exist, and they cant just jack up prices to rort the football public like the two WA clubs can. The AFL sets the price but isnt free to set whatever the hell price it likes due to the MCG trust having an approval. There is literally no way the AFL could charge the same prices the WAFC rort out of the WA football public.

Isn't the problem with the Docklands stadium deal, not the MCG?

And i'm pretty sure clubs are now able to set whatever price they like as of last year. Can't be bothered looking it up, but that's what variable pricing was all about.

Isn't the problem with the Docklands stadium deal, not the MCG?

And i'm pretty sure clubs are now able to set whatever price they like as of last year. Can't be bothered looking it up, but that's what variable pricing was all about.

MCG deal isn't all that good either....From memory Richmond only makes something like $41c in the dollar. It's just that compared to Docklands, it's 'good'.

Sure, the clubs can charge different amounts, but we can hardly charge WA level amounts when the AFL sells it's own memberships in competition.

MCG deal isn't all that good either....From memory Richmond only makes something like $41c in the dollar. It's just that compared to Docklands, it's 'good'.

Sure, the clubs can charge different amounts, but we can hardly charge WA level amounts when the AFL sells it's own memberships in competition.

You can also sell a lot more of them. It's hardly a worse deal.

And don't give me that cents in the dollar rubbish, that was debunked ages ago.

You can also sell a lot more of them. It's hardly a worse deal.

And don't give me that cents in the dollar rubbish, that was debunked ages ago.

Yeah, they're only the figures the AFL used...How silly of me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back