Socceroos 2015 ASIAN CUP FINAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Confed cup should be a good gauge. Have there been any other confederations yet? If not, by FIFA rankings it should be:

Australia, Algeria, Costa Rica, Argentina, New Zealand, Germany.

I'd put us as favourites over New Zealand, and a chance against Algeria if we play at our best.

It's the champs of each confederation. So winners of Asian Cup 15, ANC 17, Euro 16, Oceania Cup 16, Copa America 15 & the next Gold Cup.
I know, I was just asking whether any of them had been won yet, other than ours.

Congratulations to Ange and his players for achieving what is the most significant victory of any men's national sporting team in Australia's history thus far.

It would be remiss of people not to also acknowledge the vital work done by others in Ange's staff. People like Ante and Viddie, Pete Cklamovski and Dr. Duncan and Les the physio and all the others that worked long, hard, stressful hours to help the players perform at their best and ultimately, getting the job done.

Thanks to all of you.
This beats Olympics glory?

Just been reading all the #sackange posts in the group games thread following the loss to South Korea. We really should create a Knee-jerk Spud Posts compilation thread. You know who you are :D

I was going to quote and re-post every single one that bagged out the team before and during the tournament but thought it probably wasn't a good thing to do as a mod.

I was going to quote and re-post every single one that bagged out the team before and during the tournament but thought it probably wasn't a good thing to do as a mod.
Who cares?

I offer my apologies again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The test doesn't come during qualification, we have breezed through that both times. It comes in Russia.
I wouldn't say we breezed through last time, relying on a late josh Kennedy header to send us to the World Cup against iraq, and we struggled against a few teams, just getting a 1-1 draw against japan aswell.

I guess if you think only soccer qualifies. Otherwise anything with the word World in the title is bigger than an Asian cup. Davis cup in tennis is probably bigger. Many Olympic achievements, the Americas Cup victory was bigger.

Soccer is the world game. The number one, most important sport in most countries on earth.

I can't think of many team sports achievements in aus history that come close. Davis cup is a team comp, yeah, but doubles hardly compares to watching a team sport. All opinion, I know.

America's cup, give me a break! I'm old enough to remember it well. Australia was a backwater in 1983. No wonder we got excited that we finally got recognised by the yanks. I think we should limit the definition of team sports to games where two teams actually interact with each other.

Olympics... What teams have won big there in major sports? Just can't think of much bigger wins than the Asian cup but could be wrong

Soccer is the world game. The number one, most important sport in most countries on earth.

It may be in most countries, but the facts suggest it isn't close to ours.

For that reason, I think the original claim is way off the mark, especially since it wasn't a win in the pinnacle of the sport. It was a win against the countries that make up one of the weaker continents in the soccer world.

Les Murray has quite possibly the biggest knowledge of the game in this country.

When that discussion took place, 8 or so years ago, Ange was out of his depth much like Arnold was when he coached his country. But coaches grow, Arnie is very sought after and Ange has done something beyond great. However it must be said his predecessor nearly did the same......

Ange was not out of his depth. He was right in everything he said. The technical ability in this country from a coaching and development standpoint was non-existant. The players were not able to be developed accordingly. Now some 8-10yrs on, it's the buzz word in this country about development and technical ability. He made it clear the players had played next to none competitive matches prior to the tournament. They weren't match fit or battle hardened/prepared for a tournament. He told them Laos were disqualified for using over age players.

Everyone was out of touch with reality at the time- that we were nowhere near ready on a youth level to compete to the standards required. This is what Ange was tryin to build but wasn't given time. He was almost lost too football after this ambush.

Even now, we win the Asian Cup and he still maintains we aren't good enough still. We are still miles off. The man is a visionary. He understands what is required, what has to happen and the Country is finally standing up and listening.

"I knew this group of players were ready for this moment. This is where the Aussie spirit kicks in. It's in the DNA" - Ange Postecoglou

Remove this Banner Ad

Back