2015 ATP World Tour 250/500 series thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Tomic/Rafa are on at about 10pm tonight (ch.505 as well apprarently) while Groth/Triocki are on last which won't be until about 2am.

Tomic was very lucky to get out that first set but once he won that it was all smooths ailing.

What is up with Tomic's service return? He barely gets down at all, sort of waltzes over to hit them back. Seems to be very high in his return and quite flat footed?

Nice fight in the second. Playing pretty solid tennis too. He just frustrates me to no end to watch.

He has such a world class offensive game. The combination of power he can generate and angles he can work is amongst the best in the world. But he's just so freaking passive at the worst of moments. Sets up a point beautifully and then when he should be going for the kill shot, retreats and puts in a dinky little forehand straight down the middle of the court.

He's getting better. I just find myself wondering what he could be if he had Kyrgios' "I'm going to stand on the baseline and push on every single ball" mentality. I get the feeling Bernie was so inundated by the, "Wow, your style of play is so unique, it's really troubling the better players who need rhythm," compliments early on in his career that he genuinely thinks it's the be-all and end-all. Changing up the rhythm is fine, and when you've got the versatility Bernie does it can be a weapon. But he doesn't and never will have the endurance, mobility, footwork or consistent mentality to be capable of reaching his potential by grinding away with a defensive mindset. Attack, attack, attack, and use the change in pace as a change-up rather than a style of play.

I feel like this is an annual rant.

Unlucky for Kyrgios, he drew Wawrinka in the first round at Queens. Hewitt has Anderson and Kokkinakis has Chardy. Tomic has Johnson in the 1st round in Halle and will likely face Federer in the 1/4 final there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love Lleyton but that was a huge choke. Amazing how a champion and one of the most mentally strong, big moment players has come to this. As you get older and older it seems it's harder to close out matches. Look at Federer, was the ultimate clutch player but he seems to have lapses now in big moments, same with Rafa.

Tbh Australia are quite blessed at the moment with Tomic, Kokkinakis and Kyrgios. Only one of them needs to take the next step and they will be a national icon

Don't know what to think of the matchup on Simon. Apparently Kokkanksis doesn't like the grass so am very curious to see how he plays tonight (he's first up on centre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back