2015 Australian Grand Prix - FIA Formula One World Championship: Round One

Remove this Banner Ad

Date: 13 - 15 March
Circuit: Albert Park, Melbourne (Street circuit)
Laps: 58
Circuit Length: 5.303km
Race Distance: 307.574km
Lap Record: 1:24.125 (Schumacher) 2004
Race time: 4pm local
Tyres: Medium (Prime), Soft (Option)
2014 Results: 1. Nico Rosberg, 2. Kevin Magnussen, 3. Jenson Button
Australian TV Coverage: Live on Ten and Fox Sports (Fox will feature Sky's full F1 coverage per the Foxtel TV guide. No word on whether or not we'll get the Red Button too.)

Albert Park.JPG
Headlines:
  • Fernando Alonso
Fernando is not racing in Australia after a big crash in testing at Barcelona. Suffering concussion he was advised by doctors the risk of a second impact so soon after the first was too great. Kevin Magnussen will be filling in for Fernando, who is expected to return in Malaysia.
  • Gideo van der Garde
van der Garde signed a contract to race with Sauber in 2015 only to be replaced by two pay drivers, and has taken Sauber to the Victorian Supreme Court in an attempt to force them to give him what he sees as his rightful drive. The court's decision will be made on Wednesday, but it's difficult to see how he'll be racing this weekend in a car he hasn't even sat in once.

Things to Watch:
  • Max Verstappen
There was a lot of talk about how young Jaime Alguersuari was when he made his F1 debut. Then there was the even younger Daniil Kvyat. But both of them looking seasoned veterans compared to the 17 year old Verstappen, making his debut this weekend. Touted as a future superstar, all eyes will be on him this weekend.
  • Sebastian Vettel
After so long in the comfortable Red Bull family, Vettel is perhaps attempting to emulate his idol Michael Schumacher in leaving a multi championship winning team to head to a struggling Ferrari. Admitting to a tough year last year, he seems to have rediscovered his pace over the winter. Coupled with a seemingly improved Ferrari, he could lead Ferrari to the front of the "best of the rest" pack.
  • Manor (Marussia)
Entering administration late last year, it seemed all was over for Marussia. But a last minute deal has come through and the team will seemingly be on the grid in Australia. There's been some shambolic efforts in Australia over the last few years regarding under prepared teams attempting to race at Albert Park. Few will forget the 2011 and 2012 Australian Grand Prix's where HRT effectively used the Grand Prix as a shakedown session for its cars and failed to qualify. Will Manor be the same this year? Only time will tell.

#ForzaJules

Last edited:
First preview so feedback would be good. Decided to dispense with the preview for the race itself, given we've been talking about the build up to it for ages already. Figure with headlines and things to watch, it was more or less covered.

Nice - like the new format.

Other things to watch:

Car updates from the final test - will more teams introduce their short nose versions of their cars?

Ricciardo vs Kvyat and Verstappen vs Sainz

Will Manor make the grid? will they make it onto the track in FP1? (I realise you've already included this, but it could be an epic fail)

Like it mate, very well done.

Should be a cracker weekend and spewing we wont be there. Think the Mercs will be too strong but the battle for 3rd will be interesting

Manor have applied for a superlicence for Roberto Mehri, to be their second driver alongside Will Stevens.
Apparently Merhi has significant Russian backing. Last year he drove for Caterham in FP1 in Italy, Japan, and Russia as well as competing in the Renault 3.5 series where he finished 3rd overall. Not sure if that's enough for a super licence, but I'd expect he'll be granted permission to race.

He was faster than Ericsson in two of the three sessions he's driven so far and I'm not saying that means much....

2nd favourite sporting day of the year (behind the first afl game of the season, and marginally behind the first ball of cricket for the summer). it's great that we are finally getting the level of coverage (albeit through fox) that we have all been craving for years. can't wait.

Foxtel's coverage

Wednesday
The F1 Show - 2pm

Friday
Practice 1 - 12pm - 2.35pm
Practice 2 - 4.15pm - 6pm
The F1 Show (Live) - 8.30pm - 9.30pm

Saturday
Practice 3 - 1.45pm - 3.10pm
Qualifying pre-show - 4pm - 5pm
Qualifying - 5pm - 6pm
Qualifying post-show - 6pm - 6.45pm

Sunday
Race pre-show - 2.30pm - 4pm
Race - 4pm - 6pm
Race post-show - 6pm - 7.10pm

I think that's more than 10's combined efforts of all F1 races over the last 5 years. * me...

Foxtel's coverage

Wednesday
The F1 Show - 2pm

Friday

Saturday
Qualifying - 5pm - 6pm

Sunday
Race - 4pm - 6pm

I think that's more than 10's combined efforts of all F1 races over the last 5 years. **** me...

Literally just called Fox because of this post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone ever been to the signing dent in Thursdays? Any tips or hints as to when to line up etc, or whether is even realistic to get an autograph from there

Vettel's arrived.

B_xGvUFWAAIbB6y.jpg:large

Foxtel's coverage

Wednesday
The F1 Show - 2pm

Friday

Saturday
Qualifying - 5pm - 6pm

Sunday
Race - 4pm - 6pm

I think that's more than 10's combined efforts of all F1 races over the last 5 years. **** me...

hqdefault.jpg

Van der Garde wins his court challenge.

A comprehensive win by the sounds of it as well. Says a lot about how Sauber is managed these days if they allowed something like this to happen.

Since it was an arbitration ruling, no appeal can be made. The fact that Van Der Garde can't be ruled out due to 'safety concerns' by the FIA was also covered. VDG has stated that he expects to be racing this weekend, I suspect the Swede might be missing out, since those Banco logos need to stay on.

Also, minor news, but Will Stevens will be racing with the number 28 (day of his birth, similar to Vernge and Kyvat), and Merhi will race with the number 98 (His karting number).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back