Banter Banter thread Part 1 - Opposition fans welcome - let's have fun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Au contraire, you guys are just more successful cheats than us since it appears you've gotten away with it... for now. ;)

Which doesn't say much for your governance at the time, if our shithouse governance that cost us a pretty penny (and finals series, and draft picks, and coach for 12 months) allegedly, according to tin foil hat types, covered up a PED program that puts that of US Postal to shame.

Just imagine if the league whacked you for governance as well! You truly were lucky bastards.

Which doesn't say much for your governance at the time, if our shithouse governance that cost us a pretty penny (and finals series, and draft picks, and coach for 12 months) allegedly, according to tin foil hat types, covered up a PED program that puts that of US Postal to shame.

Just imagine if the league whacked you for governance as well! You truly were lucky bastards.
lol. A "coach". :D

Successful cheats, and don't forget brave, too. How can we forget?
I mean, with a role model like James Hird - seriously, that guy must have balls of steel. :D

I'd be pretty ******* shattered too if a bloke got the arse for 12 months and replaced by somebody who knew what he was doing...... :D

Mod edit: Don't evade the swear filter

Last edited by a moderator:
What's Brad Scott sooking about today, the roof at Etihad?
I've already got a printing company on board to make #StandByBrad signs, oh, and just so we don't bruise ourselves, we'll get those trollies from Bunnings, you know, like, the ones tradies use? And I need to get everybody's first and last names too.

Successful cheats, and don't forget brave, too. How can we forget?
I mean, with a role model like James Hird - seriously, that guy must have balls of steel. :D

You get it! Kudos to you sir.

Let's not limit it to Hird, the club as a whole has been brave, what with the avalanche that was coming down on them for 2+ years. I'd say pretty much all and sundry have balls of steel.

You get it! Kudos to you sir.

Let's not limit it to Hird, the club as a whole has been brave, what with the avalanche that was coming down on them for 2+ years. I'd say pretty much all and sundry have balls of steel.
Dyson Heppell is the bravest player to ever grace a footy field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be pretty ******* shattered too if a bloke got the arse for 12 months and replaced by somebody who knew what he was doing...... :D

You mean like, a bloke who's actually coached an AFL team to a flag or two? o_O
As opposed to the bloke who did some time as a journo as his sole preparation for taking the head coaching reigns? And he ends up with the job?
Naaah, that'd never happen...

Especially when compared to others of his draft like Shaun Atley.
Mate, I agree, though you could say "especially compared to anyone".

Will s**t it in for the AFLPA's Most Courageous award this year.

Tough as nails.

I think the biggest lesson I've gleaned from this banter thread is that Doss is the only * supporter who actually understands what banter is.
Yeah, nah. We can have a laugh. Two years of s**t gradually fortifies you.

And I feel like a bit of a fraud here, because if you asked me in a moment of beery truth whether I'm much good at banter, I'd probably offer the opinion that I couldn't banter my way out of a brown paper bag. And if I'd struggle with a brown paper bag, well, I'd struggle getting out of the confines of a syringe too!

I think in all honesty your view towards opposition clubs is shaped by your upbringing more than anything. I grew up in Coburg, where Carlton are probably the number one supported team and we lag some way behind you and probably the toofless ones too. My first point of being conscious of the Blues was, and I joke not a jot at this, the 1993 GF. I was following the Bombers from earlier in 1993 (after our game against Fitzroy, to be exact) but somehow, the QF and most other games in 1993 have slipped out of my memory. I only remember the Roys game, the Adelaide prelim and the granny.

So yeah, my first memory of Carlton is not a bitter one, so maybe that's led to the absence of the bitter edge of Carlton hate that many of my compatriots have. I hate Carlton because of 1999 and because Essendon supporters, by rite of passage, should; not because, 1999 aside, they've ever personally offended me that much. That's what, for me, separates you from Hawthorn, who I seem to have only ever had negative experiences with; notwithstanding that we dominated them growing up. Working in their heartland for the past seven years has just accentuated it.

I think also, if I'm being honest, there's a bit of wink wink, nudge nudge about Essendon/Carlton for me. We're the yin to each other's yang; both sitting on 16, both big clubs which have struggled to adapt to the changing landscape somewhat. Both being there to destroy each other's big moments; for every 1999 there's 1993, for every 1968 there's 1962, for every Neale Daniher last quarter rampage there's a last quarter Fevola rampage. For every Ron Evans, there's a Mike Fitzpatrick.

Put simply, we thwart each other so much that it should breed utter hatred and for most, it does. For me it breeds some hatred but a very grudging acknowledgement that we are defined by each other.

Plus, my grandad goes for Carlton but is so lackadaisical and casual about them that he probably still thinks Ken Hands and Bob Chitty are playing. So maybe that softens it ever so slightly more for me too.

That said, in time honoured tradition, * Carlton! :D

I won't wish you good luck but, from one cheat to another, I do hope it's a good game.

Mate, I agree, though you could say "especially compared to anyone".

Will s**t it in for the AFLPA's Most Courageous award this year.

Tough as nails.
You all ready to head to the Pies board next week? And the Saints board the week after? And the Crowley board the week after? ;)

Mod edit: Don't evade the swear filter
Hird knew what he was doing. Plus he was right - Essendon are in a better, more physically advanced, place.

Do you always go to the * board and tell them that they're gonna win as well or is that a special one week only thing?
:D

They are going to win this week. Not for the fact that they're a great side, but the Blues are struggling big time.

Hoping a team wins (like I do with the Blues this week), but accepting the other will (as Essendon will this week) are two different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back