List Mgmt. 2015 Best 22 - Rolling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Browne is the man for me to come into the seniors next year and do some damage. Good all round game, physically ready and will upgrade us on a Howlett, Hocking even Stanton in a different role.

Jason Ashby is the one who I have reasonably high hopes for. Never seems to be fazed and consistently played well in the reserves this year despite vying in a position we have a wealth of depth in, hope next year we use his versatility elsewhere at VFL level that may see him in the seniors sooner rather than later.

As for our much vaunted GWS trade, Kurt Aylett played some riveting football earlier this year, but tapered off in the second half of the year. If he were to come into the seniors it would continue on with our one paced midfield so yours truly hopes that the other half of this trade can come into his own in 2015 and beyond.

I also still have reasonably high hopes for EKav despite stagnating in 2013/14. You can see the glimpses, just need to polish off his all round game defensively and he will bring a different inside role to our midfield as a Jobe replacement in 12 - 24 months as that first/second touch player that releases team mates into space.

Alex Browne is the man for me to come into the seniors next year and do some damage. Good all round game, physically ready and will upgrade us on a Howlett, Hocking even Stanton in a different role.

Jason Ashby is the one who I have reasonably high hopes for. Never seems to be fazed and consistently played well in the reserves this year despite vying in a position we have a wealth of depth in, hope next year we use his versatility elsewhere at VFL level that may see him in the seniors sooner rather than later.

As for our much vaunted GWS trade, Kurt Aylett played some riveting football earlier this year, but tapered off in the second half of the year. If he were to come into the seniors it would continue on with our one paced midfield so yours truly hopes that the other half of this trade can come into his own in 2015 and beyond.

I also still have reasonably high hopes for EKav despite stagnating in 2013/14. You can see the glimpses, just need to polish off his all round game defensively and he will bring a different inside role to our midfield as a Jobe replacement in 12 - 24 months as that first/second touch player that releases team mates into space.

Got to take you to task on Aylett being one paced.

I'd say he'd be top 10 quickest at the club for pure speed and we know that he is the 3rd best in the 2km time trial which gives him excellent running power (which is my own stupid term for combination of speed and endurance).

Got to take you to task on Aylett being one paced.

I'd say he'd be top 10 quickest at the club for pure speed and we know that he is the 3rd best in the 2km time trial which gives him excellent running power (which is my own stupid term for combination of speed and endurance).

People have raved on about it, but i haven't seen 'it'. May just be the style of play he has adopted this year (that one dimensional inside player) but the couple of times he has been 'ok' without appearing elite.

Very good points.

I think another player worth a mention is Jackson Merrett. Seems to have fallen off the radar and is hardly discussed around here when people are talking about the future.

JMerrett showed some very good signs early this year (Average disposals/tackles first 6 rounds: 21, 4) before falling away in the second part of the year where he became very ineffective. I think if he can build his frame and a bigger engine he could really make a name for himself as a half forward/midfield/winger in our team. He also has some toe, although deceptive, is definitely quick.

People have raved on about it, but i haven't seen 'it'. May just be the style of play he has adopted this year (that one dimensional inside player) but the couple of times he has been 'ok' without appearing elite.

No doubt that the role he played was not conducive to him running with the ball at pace.

There were some moments, particularly early in the season at Windy Hill, that have stuck with me. I reckon he'd be a bit quicker than Zaharakis.

I am with you - Many myths in footy - Because you perform well in specific fitness tests this doesn't necessarily translate into on-field performance.

No doubt that the role he played was not conducive to him running with the ball at pace.

There were some moments, particularly early in the season at Windy Hill, that have stuck with me. I reckon he'd be a bit quicker than Zaharakis.

Agreed. Thinking back to possibly his most dominant game all season playing as a free wheeling, ball hunting mid against Bendigo he had a couple of outstanding moments that saw him run with the ball. Even kicked a wonderful goal running inside 50 from memory.

We have an abundance of smaller running types but no explosive tall running mids coming through. Edwards is possibly the closest to a taller running player we have, but more a flanker at this stage, Id love us to look at a tall running midfielder who can run and carry whilst being an aerial threat.

We have an abundance of smaller running types but no explosive tall running mids coming through. Edwards is possibly the closest to a taller running player we have, but more a flanker at this stage, Id love us to look at a tall running midfielder who can run and carry whilst being an aerial threat.
Edwards will be the next Dempsey, except better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three years in the AFL system for less than 10 games - Doesn't scream out dominant player.
No I suppose it doesn't.. Although one of those years was in a GWS squad that needed to blood everyone.. and one was lost to injury and then this was his first at a new club and trying to learn a new role..

I'm just not sure we should be writing him off just yet.

I disagree.. I really like Edwards.. and the more I see him play live.. the more I think he could be the solution..
Right now he's correct however. Edwards is a very talented footballer, but he rarely plays 4 quarters at VFL level
Three years in the AFL system for less than 10 games - Doesn't scream out dominant player.
He's played more than 10 games. At 21 Hibberd had less games, as did Dempsey. Just because you don't immediately become a star player from day 1 doesn't mean you won't.

Where do people see Z. Merrett? I can't see him being a regular 22 player.

Very good points.

I think another player worth a mention is Jackson Merrett. Seems to have fallen off the radar and is hardly discussed around here when people are talking about the future.

JMerrett showed some very good signs early this year (Average disposals/tackles first 6 rounds: 21, 4) before falling away in the second part of the year where he became very ineffective. I think if he can build his frame and a bigger engine he could really make a name for himself as a half forward/midfield/winger in our team. He also has some toe, although deceptive, is definitely quick.

That injury in the middle/early parts of the year broke down his consistency and continuity. Ive got high hopes for him to eventually push a Brent Stanton as a wingman/flanker. Just needs to show that effort across the 4 quarters more often.

Wow got my Merretts mixed up! Was meaning J. Merrett.
I think he's best 25, so should be in and around the side. He's not a slow player which gives him a POD to Howlett, Hocking etc.

Where do people see J. Merrett? I can't see him being a regular 22 player.

I'm not convinced. Him locking a spot next year wouldn't surprise me and him falling behind others would be equally unsurprising.

Still not sure what type of player he is, what he's physically suited, etc.

I wonder whether he can develop the endurance to be one of the wings we want so badly.

I'm not convinced. Him locking a spot next year wouldn't surprise me and him falling behind others would be equally unsurprising.

Still not sure what type of player he is, what he's physically suited, etc.

I wonder whether he can develop the endurance to be one of the wings we want so badly.
J.Merrett possesses something you can't teach- very good footy smarts.

I reckon that will hold him in very good stead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back