Preview 2015 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
As the draft/FA period swings around, might be handy to start up this thread, to keep us busy/sane during the offseason.

I'll start us off:

B: Kolodjashnij, Thompson, Broughton
HB: McKenzie, May, Malceski
C: Swallow, O'Meara, Harbrow
HF: Bennell, Lynch, Martin
F: Matera, Dixon, Day
R: Nicholls, Ablett, Prestia
I/C: Stanley, Shaw, Rischitelli
S: Lemmens

Considered including another tall, or someone like Tape in place of one of our rebounding defenders. Across the 3 of Kolo, Broughts & McKenzie, I think they've shown that they can hold their own defensively, with McKenzie often manning up the 3rd tall effectively. Even if Broughton has to man the 3rd with McKenzie loose, we've worked well this year doing that. Add Malceski into the mix (which it looks likely at this stage according to the rumours) and it doesn't look too bad at all.

I can't really see us making too many other moves during the trade period. I'm hoping for some more depth, which exposed us this year. Think our reserves team didn't win a game all year. Not good.

Notable guys who missed out are Hall, Russell, Smith (think Tom is ahead of him now, good to have competition though), Tape, Bozzo.

Could have put Shaw as the sub, but I think his hard running to create space during the middle parts of the game where we start to tire is really valuable. Moreso than potentially bringing him on later towards the 4th quarter where he might not have as much of an impact.

Nice to have a few players that can't fit into the team but are actually capable of filling a role pretty well. :D

I like it exile.
Only a couple of differences for mine.
It generally takes 18 months to come good after a knee reco and I'm expecting Smith to be the clear No.1 ruck.
Hoping Lonergan will surprise many in 2015. Confidence into his body and won't be used in a run with role. Straight to the wing.
You'd think pick 7 would play a fair bit too. Hoping for a half forward type.
I do like Harbs on the wing. Lacks a bit of composure down back at times and suited upfield.

Like it.

My only concern is the height in our backline! Not one guy under 188cm... will we be able to contain the dangerous smalls with Broughton and McKenzie?

And we might still be adding Daniel Merrett to that backline if the trade rumours eventuate. Particularly if the Lions look to offload him to gain another 2nd round pick for trade purposes.

Lemmens starts... Shaw as sub... Then switch 3/4 time
Lemmens runs himself into the ground..
And will try and hurt any1 in his way!! I love it!!
Another pre season, endurance and a little more muscle could be a real Bolter next year

Completely different roles. How can you swap a small lockdown/rebounding defender for a wingman? You would have to drop Broughton, Kolodjashnij or McKenzie.

Completely different roles. How can you swap a small lockdown/rebounding defender for a wingman? You would have to drop Broughton, Kolodjashnij or McKenzie.
It's pretty much exactly what happened this year... Shaw was the sub and lemmens came off late when he ran out of puff
Why can't you run lemmens interchanging with the other 6 defenders then have him subbed and run shaw through the middle when the mids have a spell?
Pretty sure when they sub Nicholls they don't bring on lonergan to ruck? Then bring lonergan on to run

It's pretty much exactly what happened this year... Shaw was the sub and lemmens came off late when he ran out of puff
Why can't you run lemmens interchanging with the other 6 defenders then have him subbed and run shaw through the middle when the mids have a spell?
Pretty sure when they sub Nicholls they don't bring on lonergan to ruck? Then bring lonergan on to run

Sorry didn't see Lemmens was the sub. Would still keep Shaw in myself. Far more running power, better footskills and 70+ games experience.

Sorry didn't see Lemmens was the sub. Would still keep Shaw in myself. Far more running power, better footskills and 70+ games experience.
thats if he touches the ball.. His best is top 10 at the club.. His worst is banished to the NEAFL never to return

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Sean Lemmens, Steven May, Clay Cameron

HB: Nick Malceski, Rory Thompson, David Swallow

C: Matthew Shaw, Gary Ablett, Jarrod Harbrow

HF: Harley Bennell, Tom Lynch, Jack Martin

F: Brandon Matera, Charlie Dixon, Sam Day

R: Tom Nicholls, Dion Prestia, Jaeger O'Meara

INT: Michael Rischitelli, Kade Kolodjashnij, Zac Smith, Danny Stanley

Depth: Sumner, Sexton, Russell, McKenzie, Taylor, Allen, A.Hall, Hutchins, Broughton, Boston, Osborne, J.Hall, Tape

Depth: Sumner, Sexton, Russell, McKenzie, Taylor, Allen, A.Hall, Hutchins, Broughton, Boston, Osborne, J.Hall, Tape
I'd swap Lemmens and Cameron for Tape and McKenzie but other than that is fairly close to what I would have.

Edit: on second thought that is probably a bit to tall, with two ruckmen and Day as well. Im keen to see how Nichols and Smith would go in the same team but I dont think you can play Day as well. I think if Boston gets his body right he can be best 22.

Last edited:

My only change is Out: Cameron, In: Mckenzie, other than that like the line up.
Possibly wouldn't have Zac Smith on bench either, if Nichols is starting I don't think we need a back up ruckman on the bench, with all the tall timber within the rest of the team.

No biggy but 4 of your listed depth players have been delisted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back