Preview 2015 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

With a good preseason, Luke Russell would be best 22 material. But who could he replace?

B: McKenzie - Thompson - Kolodjashnij
HB:O'Meara - May - Malceski
C: Harbrow - Swallow - Martin
HF:Bennell - Lynch - Stanley
F: Matera - Dixon - Ablett

Foll: Smith - Hallahan - Prestia

I/C: Day, Lemmens, Riska, Shaw

I guess I will annoy/insult a number of people here with some of the things I say but to begin with I like many of the teams that have been selected.
I am pleased that we did not get Merrett, not a fan, just too many brain explosions.
I suspect that both Ablett and O'Meara will be slow or delayed to start the season.
As a result I would be trying to ease O'Meara back into the team through a HBF and similarly I would be trying to start Ablett in a FP or HFF and gradually increasing his midfield time.
I like Harbrow as a player but not sure about him as a back - seems to turn it over too often or when he does its in a way that really hurts. My inclination would be to play him on a wing.
It is a tough task as I am certain I have left out many worthy picks. Also not sure if this will be what the team looks like by half way.

B: McKenzie - Thompson - Kolodjashnij
HB:O'Meara - May - Malceski
C: Harbrow - Swallow - Martin
HF:Bennell - Lynch - Stanley
F: Matera - Dixon - Ablett

Foll: Smith - Hallahan - Prestia

I/C: Day, Lemmens, Riska, Shaw

I guess I will annoy/insult a number of people here with some of the things I say but to begin with I like many of the teams that have been selected.
I am pleased that we did not get Merrett, not a fan, just too many brain explosions.
I suspect that both Ablett and O'Meara will be slow or delayed to start the season.
As a result I would be trying to ease O'Meara back into the team through a HBF and similarly I would be trying to start Ablett in a FP or HFF and gradually increasing his midfield time.
I like Harbrow as a player but not sure about him as a back - seems to turn it over too often or when he does its in a way that really hurts. My inclination would be to play him on a wing.
It is a tough task as I am certain I have left out many worthy picks. Also not sure if this will be what the team looks like by half way.
I have been noticing that a few people are leaving Broughton out.. I think he is absolutely essential. His experience and ability to play a role not to mention his flexibility to either lock down a small or medium and rebound are exactly what the Suns need..

I have been noticing that a few people are leaving Broughton out.. I think he is absolutely essential. His experience and ability to play a role not to mention his flexibility to either lock down a small or medium and rebound are exactly what the Suns need..
Agreed

If we stay healthy there are going to be some very good players potentially running around in the NEAFL

We might even win a game :D

FFS, you have a tendency to get carried away some times :p

If we stay healthy there are going to be some very good players potentially running around in the NEAFL

Smith
Day
Gorringe
Lonergan
Hall x2
Richitelli
Sumner
Sexton
Russell
Shaw
Tape
Picks 8,15,29

We might even win a game :D
Shaw really needs to be in our firsts each week imo. No-one else has his speed, and we really need it. Just need him to improve his kicking a bit more. Star in the making.

Shaw really needs to be in our firsts each week imo. No-one else has his speed, and we really need it. Just need him to improve his kicking a bit more. Star in the making.

I tend to agree, he was shocking early on (Bluey obviously loved him though) and his skill have improved. Interesting year ahead as our list is probably 30 deep

I suppose in my post I said that there were many worthy of a spot that I had left out and Broughton is one. I would be happy to include him and it then becomes an issue of who to leave out

My crack

Broughton Thompson Mckenzie
Kolodjasnij May Malceski
O'Meara Swallow Harbrow
Martin Lynch Bennell
Day Dixon Matera

Smith, Ablett, Prestia
I/c: Hallahan, Rischitelli, Stanley
S: Lemmens

Ressies - using the picks from paige cardronas latest mock draft...Our reserves team definitely looks stronger than previous years...lack of midfield depth is still evident though. Only Lonergan + Sexton really.. Not counting potential draftees.

Clem Smith (29) Schade Cameron
Tape Leslie Maynard(15)
Ellis Lonergan Sexton
Boston Gorringe Hall
Sumner Hall Herbert

Nicholls, Weller(8), Mature Rookie #1 (Robinson/T. Hunt etc..)

I/c: rookie, rookie, rookie, rookie.

This is real good effort, although I can cop Shaw maybe just missing selection for the ones MAYBE, but missing the ressies as well?
I like Lever at 8 and degoey at 15.. If we can't get Lever.. Go the other way round with the midfielder, possibly Ahern at 8 and the Kpd, Hugh Goddard at 15. Very happy if we get Clem Smith at 29..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha..yeah had shaw in but realised I missed O'Meara and replaced him on the wing...Id have Shaw / Lemmens toss up for substitute.

Was there a reason for his form dropping away dramatically late in the year & twice getting dropped despite our many injuries at the time?

Was there a reason for his form dropping away dramatically late in the year & twice getting dropped despite our many injuries at the time?
Why has Sam Day been s**t for all but two games in 2014? He's still in the best 22 isn't he? All of our players need development to further their skills, and we all know those two players in particular are required in our best 22 - they just need to develop their skills further.

Why has Sam Day been s**t for all but two games in 2014? He's still in the best 22 isn't he? All of our players need development to further their skills, and we all know those two players in particular are required in our best 22 - they just need to develop their skills further.
And what has Sam Day got to do with my question?

Think you have taken his question with some hostility Experimental :p Think he's genuinely curious with Shawry's situation. It was just a form slump like a lot of the team I think.

G'day from an old Carrara Bears fan. My heart's still with Brisbane, but watch most GC games as well. Love that midfield and can't believe the Lions chose Polec over Lynch, IMO best young KPF in the comp.

Anyway, here's my attempt at GC's best 22 next year:

FB: G.Broughton - R. Thompson - T. Mckenzie
HB: S. Lemmens - S. May - N. Malceski
MF: K. Kolojashnij - J. O'Meara - D.Swallow
HF: J. Martin - T. Lynch - H. Bennell
FF: T. Nicholls - C. Dixon - B. Matera
RU: Z. Smith - G. Ablett - D. Prestia
IC: M. Hallahan - J. Harbrow - D. Stanley(tagging)
S: M. Shaw

I couldn't find room for Sam Day in my best 22, but if either Smith or Nicholls aren't ready for round 1, he could get a reprieve and play as the forward/2nd ruck. I loved Lemmens' first year and with another pre-season under his belt, I think that he'll be a solid best 22 player.

G'day from an old Carrara Bears fan. My heart's still with Brisbane, but watch most GC games as well. Love that midfield and can't believe the Lions chose Polec over Lynch, IMO best young KPF in the comp.

Anyway, here's my attempt at GC's best 22 next year:

FB: G.Broughton - R. Thompson - T. Mckenzie
HB: S. Lemmens - S. May - N. Malceski
MF: K. Kolojashnij - J. O'Meara - D.Swallow
HF: J. Martin - T. Lynch - H. Bennell
FF: T. Nicholls - C. Dixon - B. Matera
RU: Z. Smith - G. Ablett - D. Prestia
IC: M. Hallahan - J. Harbrow - D. Stanley(tagging)
S: M. Shaw

I couldn't find room for Sam Day in my best 22, but if either Smith or Nicholls aren't ready for round 1, he could get a reprieve and play as the forward/2nd ruck. I loved Lemmens' first year and with another pre-season under his belt, I think that he'll be a solid best 22 player.

Interesting variation. I like it somewhat but I do have Sam in my best 22. If I was going to definitely change one thing it would be Smith up forward and Nicholls as the main ruck. Nicholls is better in the contested situations where I think Smith is more dangerous as a marking target and forward. Could see it happening at some stage next year. Would be interesting, don't think we have ever run that tandem before.

Yeah, I see that 3rd tall forward spot as the only weak point in the best 22. I don't think Sam Day is the answer, but you've got two picks inside the top 15 this year. That spot could easily be filled by pick 8/15, maybe even Herbert if he can take that next step.

Yeah, I see that 3rd tall forward spot as the only weak point in the best 22. I don't think Sam Day is the answer, but you've got two picks inside the top 15 this year. That spot could easily be filled by pick 8/15, maybe even Herbert if he can take that next step.

With a full pre-season Sammy owns that spot. Just my opinion. We'll see.

Yeah, I see that 3rd tall forward spot as the only weak point in the best 22. I don't think Sam Day is the answer
I personally agree with this. But...

With a full pre-season Sammy owns that spot. Just my opinion. We'll see.
... I hope that this ends up happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back