Preview 2015 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

May was a gun junior full forward but doesn't have the size to do it at AFL level, now with 2MP in the running as well its hard to see May getting another shot as a forward. Day will become a CHB in my opinion as it will allow his player to take him to the ball where he can use his athleticism to beat them

So basically your have

As the tall backs rotating
May, Day and Thompson

Ruck rotating
Smith, Nicholls, Gorringe

As the Forwards rotating
Dixon, Lynch and 2MP

If the club uses a rest rotation and the players buy in the above will work well, if they don't someone going to leave for lack of opportunity. as Gorro sees himself more as a forward I am afraid he is the most likely as he would be behind Smith and Nichiolls in the ruck, Dixon and Lynch in the forwards and May and Day would also be ahead of him as forwards.

yep, May has become a beast down back and is crucial to our success. I would like to see him tried as the third tall in the Josh Gibson mould. Can move onto the opposition forwards when required, but is freed up to intercept/rebound more, as he is so good at reading the play. Obviously he will mark rather than spoil hopefully. :)

I saw a couple of times this year a free Steven May spoil the ball :p

May need to rewire the brain if he was to move to the 3rd man up.

According to AFL.com.au, this is our best 22:

Gold Coast
B: Danny Stanley, Steven May, Trent McKenzie
HB: Greg Broughton, Rory Thompson, Nick Malceski
C: Jarrod Harbrow, Dion Prestia, Kade Kolodjashnij
HF: Jack Martin, Tom Lynch, Harley Bennell
F: Brandon Matera, Charlie Dixon, Sam Day
R: Tom Nicholls, Gary Ablett, David Swallow
I/C: Jaeger O'Meara, Mitch Hallahan, Michael Rischitelli
Sub: Jarrod Garlett

New players: Nick Malceski (Sydney Swans), Mitch Hallahan (Hawthorn)
Unavailable: Nil

Comment: With Rodney Eade in the coach's seat for barely a month, it's hard to know which way he'll lean, but the midfield and forward line speak for themselves. Mitch Hallahan has been recruited to provide more midfield grunt, whileJaeger O'Meara is expected to beat the clock and be fit for round one after post-season surgery on both knees. The backline might be a bit more of an off-season puzzle with the addition of Swans premiership player Nick Malceski a clear boost. Gold Coast has upgraded Greg Broughton as its nominated rookie, but finding a third tall behind Steven May and Rory Thompson is the battle. Danny Stanley has done the job in the past but could be pushed for a spot by youngster Clay Cameron. Draftee Jarrod Garlett looks perfect for the sub's role, but could push for a starting spot, while Alex Sexton, Luke Russell and Matt Shaw should also be in the mix. - Michael Whiting
IMO, the starting positions are a little munted, but the team looks okay. The only change I'd make is swapping Shaw in for Garlett. Why AFL.com.au would include an unproven junior in our 'best' 22 in beyond me, but other than that it looks okay. (Huge LOL @ thinking Clay Cameron could make his way into our best 22 as a defender)

According to AFL.com.au, this is our best 22:

IMO, the starting positions are a little munted, but the team looks okay. The only change I'd make is swapping Shaw in for Garlett. Why AFL.com.au would include an unproven junior in our 'best' 22 in beyond me, but other than that it looks okay. (Huge LOL @ thinking Clay Cameron could make his way into our best 22 as a defender)
It's the same as the saints adding paddy McCartin in their 22. They are unproven but highly rated

It's the same as the saints adding paddy McCartin in their 22. They are unproven but highly rated
It's a little different, but I see what you're saying. The Saints have been after a forward to replace Reiwoldt for a while now and McCartin is a star. We haven't really been screaming for another mid, but that doesn't mean Garlett isn't a star. I have no doubt in my mind that he'll make it into our best 22 eventually, but I just don't see it yet. Although, I'd love to see him play a few games next year - next Jack Martin perhaps? :p

I expect Kade to play on the wing later on in his career but not now. His endurance, disposal and footy smarts are too good not to eventually.

It's a little different, but I see what you're saying. The Saints have been after a forward to replace Reiwoldt for a while now and McCartin is a star. We haven't really been screaming for another mid, but that doesn't mean Garlett isn't a star. I have no doubt in my mind that he'll make it into our best 22 eventually, but I just don't see it yet. Although, I'd love to see him play a few games next year - next Jack Martin perhaps? :p
Whiting attends training sessions all the time he would see quality in Garlett hense putting his as the sub. People close to the club obviously see a lot more then we do

Whiting attends training sessions all the time he would see quality in Garlett hense putting his as the sub. People close to the club obviously see a lot more then we do
Whiting also put KK on the wing and Stanley in the back line, so I have my doubts regarding his expertise ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Lemmens? I thought he was awesome before he started to tire. More pre-seasons in him and he should be good for the whole year!
I'm actually rewatching the round 19 game vs St Kilda from this season ATM and Lemmens was playing brilliantly. I'm with you on that one - he's a star.

I had my doubts earlier in the year, but he's going to be a very good footballer.

Just read Charlie Dixon has played no more then 14 games a season
Has only played 39 games out of a total of 66! Running a tad over 40%
His 25 next year.. Id call that PRIME time.
Hope his up for a big season early 2013 form please!!
Can see why we picked up 2MP if you look hard enough you see our flaws!

Dixon is definitely in the best 22 if he is fully fit. His never gives up and he must scare opposition players when running flat out at the ball!

However i think that he needs to be managed and playing 18 games next year would be an ideal number, especially when the GCS are looking at playing finals.

Firstly I think Eade will rotate the bigger players throughout the year so that they are in peak condition when needed.

Secondly boys playing AFL who are 105 kgs (plus) must put an enormous amount of pressure on their bodies which must increase the chances of injuries. It would be an interesting analysis to look at "big" players in the AFL and see how many games they miss through injuries.

Not sure if you are just saying you rate him or if you genuinely think he will break into the side. If so who do you see him replacing Thunderstruck

I'd be picking him over Broughton and Lemmens to start with. He's a very similar story to Lee Spurr who came through the doggies as well. Mature aged and ready to go, except I'd rate Glenn with a higher ceiling. Wins more of the pill and is more versatile. But not as strong overhead.

I'd be picking him over Broughton and Lemmens to start with. He's a very similar story to Lee Spurr who came through the doggies as well. Mature aged and ready to go, except I'd rate Glenn with a higher ceiling. Wins more of the pill and is more versatile. But not as strong overhead.

Definitely pick him over Broughton.
Glenn has been playing senior SANFL for a few years now and can mix it with more mature bodies.
Lemmens could make another major step up this year...will be interesting to watch.

Shoot me down....:)
This might sound silly but if Seb Tape can improve and be the player he should be, your defence looks much better structurally.

FB: J.Harbrow - R. Thompson - S.Tape
HB: N.Malceski - S. May - S.Lemmens
MF: J. O'Meara - D.Swallow- K. Kolojashnij
HF: J. Martin - T. Lynch - H. Bennell
FF: S.Day - C. Dixon - B. Matera
RU: T. Nicholls - G. Ablett - D. Prestia
IC: D.Stanley, M.Hallahan, Gorringe
S: M.Shaw
EMG: G.Broughton, Z.Smith, J.Glenn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back