Opinion 2015 Starting 22 for Round 1

Tango67

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
that is rubbish Gordon even tho not great and others would get a game ahead of mcdonut...mcdonut.is not even close to being best 22..

Apart from edwards and madonna who is our best small forward, please advise

Stylo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
as ive said above and before he is just an average player..we have plenty of players outside best 22 who are better than him...

Name them? He's close to the best kick at the club, a great mark, excellent at stoppages, excellent set shot. Just needs to build his tank, then I'd have him in my best 22 for sure. But again, pretty sure we've had this conversation.

TheTigerArmy

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Apart from edwards and madonna who is our best small forward, please advise
. Arr Knights Gordon, lloyd,...to name a few...but thats not the point id prefer to rotate any of our current midfielders in to the forward line to play that role any way...at this stage mcdonut is not good enough to get a game consistantly in our best 22 ...and what evidence do u have that he is a good pocket forward anyway..

Last edited:

TheTigerArmy

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Name them? He's close to the best kick at the club, a great mark, excellent at stoppages, excellent set shot. Just needs to build his tank, then I'd have him in my best 22 for sure. But again, pretty sure we've had this conversation.
i reckon he definately is not all those things you have listed he is totally middle of the pack at all those abilities..

Apr 26, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
McDonough needs to lose the puppy fat and build the tank, in a similar position to Conca in this regard. Doesn't have your standard afl-type body and needs to work like Lloyd did last season at developing one. His football is good enough just needs to get his body in order.

TheTigerArmy

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
You're watching a different player to me then.
thats what were on this board for mate we all see things differently...i dont rate him at all... I think he is average in all his abilities....you see him differently ...agree to disagree... :)

Tango67

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
. Arr Knights Gordon, lloyd,...to name a few...but thats not the point id prefer to rotate any of our current midfielders in to the forward line to play that role any way...at this stage mcdonut is not good enough to get a game consistantly in our best 22 ...and what evidence do u have that he is a good pocket forward anyway..

Knights is not a fwd pocket or small forward he is a HFF as is Gordon and Lloyd is a short lead nark type that is not tall enough to play that position in the afl. None of the above can play that defensive, chasing, harassing, crumbling role that we need, probably only edwards, mcdonna and foley can do it

TheTigerArmy

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Knights is not a fwd pocket or small forward he is a HFF as is Gordon and Lloyd is a short lead nark type that is not tall enough to play that position in the afl. None of the above can play that defensive, chasing, harassing, crumbling role that we need, probably only edwards, mcdonna and foley can do it
No matter how you put it or say it mcdonut is not yet in our best 22 ...simple..

bc27

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Knights isn't in our best 22 unless he shows some serious form this pre season. I think the game has left him behind sadly and I see one or two of our picks from this years draft pushing their way into the 22 permanantly be finals.

TheTigerArmy

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Disagree!

Think he clearly has those skills, but is still raw. Would expect him to cement in the 22 this year.
i dont expect him to be on our list within two years ...hope too be wrong but i reckon he is not good enough....

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
i dont expect him to be on our list within two years ...hope too be wrong but i reckon he is not good enough....

Not sure why you don't rate him. He won't be a superstar but his foot skills are as good as anyone on the list and he has shown he can find the footy. I see him being our Jarryd Blair.

TheTigerArmy

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure why you don't rate him. He won't be a superstar but his foot skills are as good as anyone on the list and he has shown he can find the footy. I see him being our Jarryd Blair.
Thats for sure he is not a superstar and certainly is not as good as Blair ..all his abilities are average at best..not bad just average....wont cut it i reckon..

Stylo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Thats for sure he is not a superstar and certainly is not as good as Blair ..all his abilities are average at best..not bad just average....wont cut it i reckon..

Have you seen him play VFL or are you basing this opinion on his time in the seniors so far?

BeefTaco

Debutant
Nov 17, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Think Madonna has great skills, wouldn't put him at the top of the club for any of them but definitely good, but I haven't seen anything at AFL level yet that I can say that I'm confident he can cement a spot this year.
And I am a big fan of his, loved when we drafted him. But to me it seems that all he has is good skills. He doesn't impact games at all IMO. Once he starts doing that he will hold down a spot

Stylo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Sorry, that's just really bizarre. I don't know who you're watching. He's clearly a cut above VFL, has a brilliant skill set. I'm obviously not going to change your mind on this, but I'll bet you he'll be a fixture in our best 22 in future.

TheTigerArmy

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Sorry, that's just really bizarre. I don't know who you're watching. He's clearly a cut above VFL, has a brilliant skill set. I'm obviously not going to change your mind on this, but I'll bet you he'll be a fixture in our best 22 in future.
I hope you right and he becomes a good player..but i doubt it..

Tango67

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
isnt he touted as the best kick for goal in the club? and has pace? thats a good start
dont think there is anyone else at the club that has pace and is a great kick for goal?
Jack - no pace
Lids - not great set shot
Martin - ok
??

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Gordon is a HFF who relies on his endurance
Mcdonagh is nimble small and excellent shot on goal
Both are important in any mix. The problem for Madonna, is we do play an unusual fwdline mix, but it finally clicked in the second half of the year. But IF Madonna can really come on it would add another string to our bow.

We don't get smashed in the air, generally.

Cloke got hold of Rance 2 seasons ago, Warnock got the better of the centre bounces in the 2013 EF, but in 2014, I don't really remember us getting our smashings in the air. So, I'm not sure Maric, Vickery and Griffiths can all play on the ground at the same time, especially if we have Rance, Chaplin and Astbury all in the back half.

IMO, our poorest performances in 2014, as a whole team, came when we 1) don't win the contested ground ball, 2) didn't spread well, both ways.

My best 22, for what it's worth, is hoping for a little more grunt and poke around the packs, and good coverage over the open grass through the middle.

FB: Morris, Astbury, Grimes
HB: Houli, Rance, Lennon
C: Ellis, Cotchin, Edwards
HF: Deledio, Griffiths, Knights
FF: Martin, Riewoldt, Pettard
Fol: Maric, Miles, Vlaustin

I: Hunt, McDonough, Foley, Grigg (s)

So, depending who we are playing, I'd leave out Vickery and Chaplin. I think Pettard and Grimes (respectively) give almost as much in the air and cover the ground a lot quicker.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
We don't get smashed in the air, generally.

Cloke got hold of Rance 2 seasons ago, Warnock got the better of the centre bounces in the 2013 EF, but in 2014, I don't really remember us getting our smashings in the air. So, I'm not sure Maric, Vickery and Griffiths can all play on the ground at the same time, especially if we have Rance, Chaplin and Astbury all in the back half.

IMO, our poorest performances in 2014, as a whole team, came when we 1) don't win the contested ground ball, 2) didn't spread well, both ways.

My best 22, for what it's worth, is hoping for a little more grunt and poke around the packs, and good coverage over the open grass through the middle.

FB: Morris, Astbury, Grimes
HB: Houli, Rance, Lennon
C: Ellis, Cotchin, Edwards
HF: Deledio, Griffiths, Knights
FF: Martin, Riewoldt, Pettard
Fol: Maric, Miles, Vlaustin

I: Hunt, McDonough, Foley, Grigg (s)

So, depending who we are playing, I'd leave out Vickery and Chaplin. I think Pettard and Grimes (respectively) give almost as much in the air and cover the ground a lot quicker.

Snap.

Back